Hey Kwan fans! | Golden Skate

Hey Kwan fans!

zilam98

Rinkside
It seems to me that you have become so quiet ever since MK lost it out to a triple-jumping bean. Whatever happened to you guys?

What exactly happened to Michelle that she lost? We don't have figureskating here on TV.

Vash01

Medalist
Her mistake in the QR was costly. She placed 3rd in it and could not catch up. She needed to place 1st in SP and LP to win.

zilam98

Rinkside
Do you think that MK, given her age, could still train for triple-triples, or even a quad? What is her edge over the Japanese champion in the next season's competitions?

berthes ghost

Final Flight
What exactly happened to Michelle that she lost?
In a nutshell:
03 Kwan did 3 clean programs and won. Cohen and Arakawa fell/made mistakes.
04 Arakawa did 3 clean programs and won. Cohen and Kwan fell/made mistakes.

1. In QR Kwan poped loop and fell on Lutz
2. In SP she skated 2seconds too long and received a .1 deduction.
3. In LP she doubled Lutz, but still got string of 6.0s for pres and stole 4 1st place ordinals.
Do you think that MK, given her age, could still train for triple-triples, or even a quad?
She seems to have 2 groups of competitors. Group A: Arakawa, Slutskya, Sokolova, etc... are her age or older. Group B: Miki Ando, Carlina Kostner, etc...are young 3/3 toting talents, but so far haven't proved themselves.
Kwan has been training 3/3s since she was 14, in fact , she never stoped. This bodes well for her IMHO. Sasha is 4 years younger, but hasn't been doing 3/3s since she was 15 like MK has. Not so promising IMHO.
What is her edge over the Japanese champion in the next season's competitions?
1. Experience. She's been at the top for so long, she knows the ropes like the back of her hand. 2. Underdog. She's been here before and has staged more comebacks than Richard Nixon. Being champ is new for Shizuka. Let's see how she handles it.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
zilam98 said:
Do you think that MK, given her age, could still train for triple-triples, or even a quad? What is her edge over the Japanese champion in the next season's competitions?

Her goal is to get a solid 3/3 down. But she's realistic about what it could do to her body. So we'll just have to see.

As for her advantage over the Japanese? Let's not forget that in the LP, FOUR judges placed her ahead of Shizuka, despite Shizuka's 3/3 combos. So overall skating technique and presentation are weighed heavily. And again, I echo Berthes. EXPERIENCE. She's not stayed on top for 10 years without having been through it all - both good and bad. Dick Button always says it's harder to defend a World title, than to chase it. MK has regained her title 3 times (98, 00, 03) after losing it the year before. No ladies skater has ever done that before. Shizuka has never had to deal with the pressure of being on top. Next season should be very illuminating!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Kwan lost Worlds '04 in the QR. Being given the time deduction for the SP sealed her fate.

What is most remarkable about this entire competition was that she never lost her composure. She attacked in the SP despite starting off on the wrong foot. Then she got the time deduction, which would have put any skater in horrible stead going into the FS. To top it off, she encountered a streaker while preparing to skate the FS. Instead of going to pieces, she skated a terrific FS. Her handling of this competition showed her to be the true champion she is.

Hey Zilam - It's not if you win it's how you play the game!! I'm not sure if you understand the scoring in FS but she flubbed in the QR and was tied for 5/6 place. Her SP was excellent but she was deducted for having a program too long. Her LP was priceless.

She went from 6th to 3rd. That's how you play the game.

Joe

zilam98 said:
It seems to me that you have become so quiet ever since MK lost it out to a triple-jumping bean. Whatever happened to you guys?
You must not be reading the Worlds folder, LOL. :)

Mathman

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Hey Kwan fans!!!

We haven't gone anywhere. We are still here and love her more now then ever. She still skated well enough to win her 9th world medal and got 6-6.0s along the way. Michelle skated a brilliant lp after the crazy person got on the ice. She came back and it was amazing. I am so proud of her and what she does and proud to be a Michelle Kwan fan.

So don't ever think we will go away, we are here and we are staying......

diamond:love:

kemy

Rinkside
zilam98 said:
It seems to me that you have become so quiet ever since MK lost it out to a triple-jumping bean.

Shizuka can hardly be referred to as a jumping bean.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
"Fandom" isn't about winning........it's about enjoying the athlete's merits, their personality, their attitude, and yes their skating, win or lose. Michelle's fans enjoy it when she wins of course, but also when she doesn't.......we're here.....:) 42

mzheng

Record Breaker
zilam98 said:

What exactly happened to Michelle that she lost? We don't have figureskating here on TV.

We are still here, a lot of us. LOL. Actually I became a hard core fan of her after her huge lost in SLC although had been love her skating long before that. Since then I get really interesting in her skating and personality. And took time to learn all the technique aspect of FS.

Kwan has been training 3/3s since she was 14, in fact , she never stoped. This bodes well for her IMHO. Sasha is 4 years younger, but hasn't been doing 3/3s since she was 15 like MK has. Not so promising IMHO.
Actually I thought she stopped trainning 3/3 after SLC when she felt the back/hip pain in her body. She got her 3t/3t back this season after she trainned with RA only 6 weeks. Then started the extensive trainning of 3/3s after National. At some point she had put a 3/3 in her LP and doing them in full run through. But then her back/hip started pain again. She had to take it out. She said in a interview that it properly will take her 1 to 1.5 year to get the consistant 3/3. I don't care her 3/3 as long as she is able to deliver those electric performance like 03/04 Nationals. It is pure beauty and passion on ice. I do think put an inconsistant 3/3 into her program, if she missed it even by doing a perfect 3/2 would affect her mindset at the time and marred her overall performance as a whole. For instance, at worlds she doubled that last lutz, thus her footwork after that was not a expectcular as the one at National.

Being champ is new for Shizuka. Let's see how she handles it.
Shizuka has never had to deal with the pressure of being on top. Next season should be very illuminating!
Yes. The pressure will be huge next year for Arakawa. If you look back two years worlds podium. MK is the only one still on podium this year, with all other podium finishers still competing in this worlds. I couldn't be more proud of her.

sk8m8

Final Flight
another tidbit...MK has only won back to back world championships. Don't be surprised if she comes back next year with whatever "goods" it takes to win and becomes a 6X champ. I personally think I couldn't contain my joy if I had 9 world FS medals of ANY color!

MK is a smart skater, she seems to know what it takes if her efforts don't yield what she wants. Betcha next year she CLEANS HOUSE in the qualifying round to build an insurmountable lead in the CoP judging. The one thing I do like about the new system is the ability to "rack up points" so that if you "slip" in one area of the competition you can make it up in others.

Oh and by the way, MK, with her doubled jump, STILL placed SECOND in the freeskate with all the subterfuge going on around her.....guess we'll just have to keep discussing the "old girl":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bronxgirl

Medalist
geez, I don't look at the board for one day to go to a Seder, and it's what's happened to the Kwan fans?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lavender

Record Breaker
It's pretty much off season but the Kwan fans are here to stay and actually happy about Michelle's showing after what she had to deal with. I mean the girl fought and still almost got 1st place in the long with 5 triples to 7. Did you think Michelle fans really thought she would win all 4 world titles up to Torino if she wishes to pursue that goal. Michelle has so much more and if she taps into it then watch out. I always said that i don't think she has actually peaked yet. I think she has more but it's still up to Michelle.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
If you look back two years worlds podium. MK is the only one still on podium this year, with all other podium finishers still competing in this worlds. I couldn't be more proud of her.
Yeah, in fact none of the other World medalists from 2002 OR 2003 even finished in the top 5 in spite of the fact that they were all competing in Dortmund (Irina, Fumie, Elena S.) That speaks volumes about MK's staying power.

In 11 years to Worlds, Michelle has seen both the ups and down and knows how to roll with the punches. That she could still medal after everything that went wrong at '04 Worlds is a testament to her abilities.

Shizuka is a wonderful skater but not only is she a first time WC, she made a massive leap from 8th last year to 1st this year. There was no period of "grooming" where she finished 2-4 at Worlds and had some time to "get used" to being in the elite. She went from nowhere to WC. That's a lot of pressure.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL! This is a strange question...where did all the Kwan fans go? I think we're all used to hearing that we gush far too much. Anyway, everything has already been said. She nearly won the freeskate with a 5 triple program that wasn't that difficult. She is still very much in the game. I can't wait to see how things unfold next season. I have a feeling Michelle and Arutunian will produce a set of masterpieces (complete with intricate choreography and improved technical elements).