Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

Spiral

Final Flight
I only had the chance to watch their FD now, and I've got to say this is miles better than what we saw at Finlandia. Even though they missed the podium, I think it was a great performance :cheer2:
Having seen the FD now, I couldn't agree more! I liked the Finlandia interpretation, but it was just a hint of what they delivered in Milwaukee - that was like a whole show. I was impressed then how they could present such a theme in a competitive figure skating program, which is supposed to be all about excellent body coordination, beautiful lines, etc., and I'm much more impressed now. Looking forward to re-watching this perfomance! Speaking of which, I think they should have been higher in CHO, PE and INT.

Jean-Luc is great of course, but it does take a team and I think Kaitlin is an important part of the team. She seems like a good technical skater. They are the only team at SA to get a level 4 on the RW pattern, which as far as I understand is more demanding on the female partner. I don't want to take anything away from Jean-Luc's greatness but I want to give Kaitlin credit where it's due.
Absolutely. But I think she's good perfomance skater too - that's what makes their programs so appealing to lay fans like me. I could never get into a dance program where only one of the two is looking geniune in their interpretation, and it must take quite an acting talent to stay in character thoughout the program while having to execute all the elements to a high level and also likely feeling nervous for the results.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Jean-Luc is great of course, but it does take a team and I think Kaitlin is an important part of the team. She seems like a good technical skater. They are the only team at SA to get a level 4 on the RW pattern, which as far as I understand is more demanding on the female partner. I don't want to take anything away from Jean-Luc's greatness but I want to give Kaitlin credit where it's due.

Yes quite honestly I think Kaitlin is by far the stronger skater of the two- when mistakes are made, it is almost always Jean Luc who is making them, though he is also a great skater and performer.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Excited to see these two in CoC in a couple of days!! I think they had a great Skate America showing and had improved a lot since Finlandia. I hope they have tweaked their programs even more and have an excellent showing!!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Excited to see these two in CoC in a couple of days!! I think they had a great Skate America showing and had improved a lot since Finlandia. I hope they have tweaked their programs even more and have an excellent showing!!!

I am also very excited to see them!:hap10:

tulosai

Record Breaker
COC is going to be so great. Really excited to see if P/C will show up at TEB as well. We are so spoiled to have such great athletes in ice dance.

I have to believe that by now if they haven't withdrawn P/C are probably coming? This has nothing to do with them in particular if they do withdraw at this point (her health is most important) but it is a real pet peeve of mine when skaters put off withdrawing until the absolute last minute and then a replacement isn't named...

bramweld

Record Breaker
I have to believe that by now if they haven't withdrawn P/C are probably coming? This has nothing to do with them in particular if they do withdraw at this point (her health is most important) but it is a real pet peeve of mine when skaters put off withdrawing until the absolute last minute and then a replacement isn't named...

Have to agree with you there.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Here's a few photos I took of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc at Finlandia a few weeks ago.

Loved their programs... and that one-footed-no-hands lift... Wow!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Here's a few photos I took of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc at Finlandia a few weeks ago.

Loved their programs... and that one-footed-no-hands lift... Wow!

Those are some beautiful pictures! Gave me the chance to fully appreciate Kaitlin's dresses since the videos did not have the best quality. Thank you so much for sharing them!
Wishing this wonderful team the best of luck for COC! :hap36:

slider11

Medalist
I'm a little curious why usfsa is putting Katilin and Jean-Luc at the same GP as Chock and Bates again. Seems like the message is, you can't win but maybe you can take a lower podium spot. I suppose that's realistic considering they are new but I would have liked to have seen them in a different GP, maybe with Hubbel and Donahue. That's who they'll be competing with for third place at Nationals. I know there are just so many spots in the GPs and you take what you get. Wouldn't that be fun if they got close or even beat C/B!!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'm a little curious why usfsa is putting Katilin and Jean-Luc at the same GP as Chock and Bates again. Seems like the message is, you can't win but maybe you can take a lower podium spot. I suppose that's realistic considering they are new but I would have liked to have seen them in a different GP, maybe with Hubbel and Donahue. That's who they'll be competing with for third place at Nationals. I know there are just so many spots in the GPs and you take what you get. Wouldn't that be fun if they got close or even beat C/B!!

I'm not sure if it was USFSA who put them in COC or they got invited there by the hosting nation. But perhaps they thought it would be better to put them only against their own top ice dance team than P/C or W/P AND either H/D or the Shibutanis :shrug:

tulosai

Record Breaker
USFSA has no influence on CoC assignments. Rarely back room deals may be struck, but officially only China controls CoC assignments. The bottom line is, USFSA ONLY has control over the skate America assignments. China picks all the assignments to CoC, playing by certain rules in doing so. I am sure this was not the USFSA's choice.

slider11

Medalist
Well, thanks for the clarification. I thought each federation strategically placed their skaters in GP slots in accordance with how they thought they might best be served. Thanks for the information!

Spiral

Final Flight
COC does look like tough competition for HB, unfortunately, but I hope that they'll continue on their improvement curve and get good scores there! :cheer2:

tulosai

Record Breaker
COC does look like tough competition for HB, unfortunately, but I hope that they'll continue on their improvement curve and get good scores there! :cheer2:

I am sure they will! This seems like it's probably going to be another 'building' year for them but that's okay- not all teams can instantly have mega success as seniors, the important thing is that they keep growing and improving :hap10:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Great job HB!!! Love them! It is only their second year. I expect much from them in the future and am excited with what they have shown so far!

caitie

Medalist
Does anyone know the deal with the collision they apparently has with Capellini and Lannotte?