Radionova ready to take on senior skating world | Golden Skate

Radionova ready to take on senior skating world

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia’s Elena Radionova made history when she became the first female skater to defend the World Junior title earlier this year, and is now on her way up to the senior level. More...

cinnamon

On the Ice
I'm counting on Radionova a lot this coming season! Anxious to see what sorts of programs she will skate to.

Country
Russia
Radionova is very talented as skater and also very artistic (in so young age!). Very good both for competitions and shows.

Alba

Record Breaker
So I see that her Flamenco SP will be with vocals, in part. That's good. :yes:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I just love Elena so much!

I think she's one of (if not the) strongest performers in the entire ladies field. She gives so much life and energy to her programs and you can really see how much she loves to skate. Plus she's so friggin' cute I can't even stand it! :love: As tiny as she is, the girl is made of steel. She gave so many strong performances last season and was very consistent from competition to competition.

Gracie will have the advantage at SA but if she stumbles and Elena delivers, I wouldn't be surprised if Elena upsets and wins. She's got a tough draw at TEB but I think she's going to be on the podium there too.

I'm excited to see how she does this year. I just love her!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I completely agree and love her to no end but in this article it said they are aiming to make her look more mature.

Both programs are aiming at making the expressive skater look more mature.

I'm not sure how I should take that. If even the best of the younger skaters, at least expressively, needs to be more mature than what kind of message does this send to young ladies. I guess I'd just be more comfortable saying "she is a great young skater" instead of "she needs to be more grown up". To me at least, she is plenty mature and amazingly expressive :confused2:

Anyway...looking forward to next season for her:yes: She is so much fun and oh so talented :love:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I completely agree and love her to no end but in this article it said they are aiming to make her look more mature.

I'm not sure how I should take that. If even the best of the younger skaters, at least expressively, needs to be more mature than what kind of message does this send to young ladies. I guess I'd just be more comfortable saying "she is a great young skater" instead of "she needs to be more grown up". To me at least, she is plenty mature and amazingly expressive :confused2:

Anyway...looking forward to next season for her:yes: She is so much fun and oh so talented :love:

I get where you're coming from. I do think Elena is immensely expressive but I agree that more maturity wouldn't hurt. The way to fake it til you make it is to take a more mature route with the kind of music and programs you perform. I thought Elena's SP last year was very good for a debut. Though I enjoyed her FS (not particularly the choreography; more like the way she performed) it wasn't the best vehicle to make the judges look at her as a more mature skater.

Giving her a more mature style is one way to do that. She has the performance chops as well as the emotional range to carry a pretty wide variety of music (and that's just from me watching her the past two years or so). I don't doubt she can pull off whatever kind of music/program she is given. I think it's a good idea to push her in a more mature direction. That's just the name of the game in this sport. The judges want to see "mature" skaters so if Elena wants to move up in the ranks, she's gotta play the game.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see what Elena will bring to us, she's probably my favourite out of the Russian girls right now, I loved her SP from last season and I think she has the ability to do pretty much any style. I wish her lots of luck and I hope to see her at the World Championships!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone who can sell Zombie Dance the way she did has to be considered as someone who can do any style. It really shows her ability to perform. While I may snicker and laugh at the zombie goofiness I certainly notice the quality and talent on display. Not an easy task.

anthologyz

Rinkside
i love her. she's a firecracker on ice, youthful, exuberant, fearless: my personal favorite for the russian woman to succeed in this quadrennial!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Of all the Russian women, Radionova is the one I most enjoy because of her musicality. Not to mention she's got a few skating skills, too. ;) Definitely a worthy rival and a young lady to watch.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Of all the Russian women, Radionova is the one I most enjoy because of her musicality. Not to mention she's got a few skating skills, too. ;) Definitely a worthy rival and a young lady to watch.

She's great. To me, the only thing juniorish about her is her body (and perhaps her jumps). She's engaging, fearless, and executes her programs confidently.

shine

Record Breaker

Ditto. I CAN'T wait to see her new programs. This is so exciting.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She's great. To me, the only thing juniorish about her is her body (and perhaps her jumps). She's engaging, fearless, and executes her programs confidently.

I thoroughly agree. Her level of performance is wonderful, and she truly looks like she enjoys what she's doing instead of just railing off a bunch of elements.

I really wonder how she will handle more emotional, nuanced pieces. Right now, she's a fun entertainer, and it suits her being a teenager. I agree with many people in that she's the skater I'm most excited to see how she will handle this next quadrennial.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Radionova is the future of figure skating!! She dances very well to every kind of music. I guess she will be collecting medals in every single competition she competes next season!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not sure how I should take that. If even the best of the younger skaters, at least expressively, needs to be more mature than what kind of message does this send to young ladies. I guess I'd just be more comfortable saying "she is a great young skater" instead of "she needs to be more grown up". To me at least, she is plenty mature and amazingly expressive.

ITA re: Elena's talent. She's really fun to watch!

I also hear you and agree with the spirit of what I think you're saying about the "maturity" thing, which is that you don't want to see her grow up too fast, so to speak. If so, that's a fair concern, although to me it does seem fine to tweak Elena's look and programs a bit to give her a more grown-up look.

My only hope is that the change won't be too drastic. I still remember being somewhat shocked when Michelle K debuted her "Salome" program; IIRC, that was designed to achieve the same effect. For me that was over the top, having been used to seeing the 12-year-old. When she broke out "Salome" w/ the makeup & bare midriff...but hey, she sure did pull it off and then some! :yay:

Anyway, the kids can't stay kids forever, right? ;)

Sheesh. Writing this is bringing back memories of "borrowing" my mom's makeup when I was a lot younger than Elena. Got myself in a heap of fertilizer for that little adventure... :laugh: