The Lutz jump | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Lutz jump

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Tonya did have an amazing Lutz...I never forget Michelle Kwan's reaction to Tonya's Lutz at 1994 nationals, priceless...I read the Wiki article and it mentions that skaters used to jump the Lutz in the opposite direction to their other jumps...apparently due to the edge...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Tonya did have an amazing Lutz...I never forget Michelle Kwan's reaction to Tonya's Lutz at 1994 nationals, priceless...I read the Wiki article and it mentions that skaters used to jump the Lutz in the opposite direction to their other jumps...apparently due to the edge...
Do you have the clip of Kwan's reaction? :yay:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
There are a number of skaters with really good lutzes.

Of course, Yu-Na comes to mind: great outside edge, height, distance and speed throughout. I think it was her best jump. Then there's Carolina; same thing in terms of a great outside edge, distance and speed throughout, though I do think Yu-Na got better height on her lutzes.

Some other huge lutzes: Elene Gedevanishvili, someone mentioned Valentina Marchei and Liza T (ITA for both), as well as Agnes Zawadzki :)eek:).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I would say Tonya Harding was the better natural jumper (huge height!), but I give the lutz to Yuna because she seemed to have superior technique (tighter rotation in the air, more controlled landing, and the ability to land a consistent 3Lz-3T).

Among those competing today, Liza definitely has a great one.

No men??? :think:
Too many of them have good lutzes, lol. We're better off naming the ones who don't have good lutzes. :p But Jcoates link to Boitano is stunning. :love: The original 'tano jump was a work of art--did not come across for one moment as "look at me! give me points!"

Meoima

Match Penalty
Too many of them have good lutzes, lol. We're better off naming the ones who don't have good lutzes. :p But Jcoates link to Boitano is stunning. :love: The original 'tano jump was a work of art--did not come across for one moment as "look at me! give me points!"
My question was just rhetorical since I saw that many posters only call the names of ladies. Kinda curious why. The title of this thread should have been "which lady has the best lutz jump?" IMO

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My question was just rhetorical since I saw that many posters only call the names of ladies. Kinda curious why. The title of this thread should have been "which lady has the best lutz jump?" IMO
I think most posters--the knowledgeable Jcoates excepted--don't talk about men because they're all pretty good. Even Scott Hamilton had a pretty good 3Lz, but he'd be totally out of the conversation if we're talking 3A or 4T. Which man has the best 3Lz? Hard to compare, because they're all pretty good with a few exceptions (though I guess I could name those, and potentially get into an argument with their fans :laugh:). Which man do you think had the best 3Lz?

For instance, if we're talking 3T or 3S, we might have a more balanced conversation between men and ladies... and likely come to no consensus in either category (though I say Joubert and Ando off the top of my head :p).

jcoates

Medalist

Glad you liked the link. :) I forgot to add Rippon to the good lutz list. It's such a natural jump for him and his innovation should also be recognized.

As for men without good lutzes, Kurt Browning and Li Chengjiang spring to mind. They could do them, but not very consistently. Kurt's lutz was in and out of his programs as an amateur. He frequently two footed his (sometimes badly) and took it out of his aresenal for his final amateur season. His flip also deteriorated over time. Both may have been due to his back injury. Once he turned pro, he dropped both of them and did only axel, loop, salchow and toe loop as far as I remember. Chengjiang's lutz was all over the place (good, doubled, popped, falls, etc.) Todd Eldridge always looked super crooked in the air but usually landed it. There are also some flutzers (Galindo, Goebel) I can recall.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Glad you liked the link. :) I forgot to add Rippon to the good lutz list. It's such a natural jump for him and his innovation should also be recognized.

As for men without good lutzes, Kurt Browning and Li Chengjiang spring to mind. They could do them, but not very consistently. Kurt's lutz was in and out of his programs as an amateur. He frequently two footed his (sometimes badly) and took it out of his aresenal for his final amateur season. His flip also deteriorated over time. Both may have been due to his back injury. Once he turned pro, he dropped both of them and did only axel, loop, salchow and toe loop as far as I remember. Chengjiang's lutz was all over the place (good, doubled, popped, falls, etc.) Todd Eldridge always looked super crooked in the air but usually landed it. There are also some flutzers (Galindo, Goebel) I can recall.
The lutz definitely wasn't a comfortable jump for Kurt Browning. But it's interesting to note that, from what I've seen, his contemporary Viktor Petrenko wasn't a whole lot better. Petrenko's lutz and flip often looked extremely tilted in the air, and I wasn't surprised when he mucked them up.

I didn't know about Chengjiang Li though... but that makes sense. I always wondered why he kept the double axel in the SP even after it stopped being required (and his competitors generally did 3Lz as the solo triple).

Among recent skaters, I think Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir have both received edge calls. Though strangely enough, I think Evan has received edge calls for his flip as well. :scratch:

jcoates

Medalist
Sandpiper You are right about Petrenko. I thought about him after I made th post. He screwed up is lutz in the Lillehammer SP (landed forward) and doubled it in his 92 Worlds FS (which he won). Thanks for bringing it up.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Yes, there were many awesome Lutz jumpers, but from nowadays young skaters I love Jason's tano lutz.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure if it is a Canadian thing but when they were on Joannie Rochette, Josee Chouinard and Liz Manley all had wonderful, powerful triple lutzes.