Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou

lcd

Match Penalty
Was wondering the same thing. Other posts have included mentions that Vincent has not been skating or training. His injury last season was quite serious it would seem. Similarly, there has been some concern about Nathan being injured as well. Hope they are both simply being prudent and taking the time to heal properly. The are both such extreme talents, but are also young and have plenty of time ahead of them should they want to continue to pursuing competitive skating.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Nathan is now listed as a substitute for the last JGP in Croatia. From what I've heard, injury kept him out of initial assignments, and I would have imagined he's a sub on the last event only because they're still not sure if he'll be ready (though his total Golden West score is approximately his JW score from last year)

noskates

Record Breaker
I believe Vincent was also injured last year.

Yes. This quote from a Boston Globe story:

Vincent Zhou, 13, missed all this season after surgery to correct a longtime knee problem.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Just to update on this...Nathan Chen is now officially assigned to JGP 7 in Croatia!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great news for Nathan. I hope Vincent will heal completely from his injury & resume training & skating. They are both so talented!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To bad Nathan won't be at the JGPF but if he was injured it makes sense why he didn't compete. There is still Junior Worlds where if he's skating like he can he will be one of the favorites.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Chen will be competing in only one JGP event this season, in Croatia, a decision reached jointly by his coaches, U.S. Figure Skating and himself.

"We decided it was a good stepping stone for the season," Chen said. "I'll be competing as a senior at nationals this year. This season, ultimately, I would just like to put myself out there as a senior, see how that goes."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/22/95862904

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't know that Vincent is more talented. I think he needs A LOT of maturing in presentation. He's very tiny and his rotation is tight but his programs have been whimsical and somewhat childish. Maybe the year off will have enabled this maturity.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I don't know that Vincent is more talented. I think he needs A LOT of maturing in presentation. He's very tiny and his rotation is tight but his programs have been whimsical and somewhat childish. Maybe the year off will have enabled this maturity.

Of course he looked childish, the last time we saw him skate he was 12!! I'm excited to see what 14 year old Vincent will skate like. If Jason brown can have until he's 19 to become brilliant and finally reign in his triple axel, I have no doubt Vincent can do so as well.