Bobrova, Soloviev to miss Grand Prix Series | Golden Skate

Bobrova, Soloviev to miss Grand Prix Series

samson

Medalist
Soloviev is about to undergo knee surgery so they will have to miss the grand prix. Icenetwork has a short article on it:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/20/95581772

From the way it's stated in the article it sounds like the hope is to do surgery now to prevent further injuries in the future. They plan to compete at Russian Nationals in December though.

I hope he has a speedy recovery and that they are able to come back in December in full force!

I did peak at the grand prix assignments to see what this might mean. No word on the subs yet.

It looks like Chock and Bates might have a clear path to gold at Skate America now unless the Shibs really make waves. Also Hubbel and Donahue should have a better chance at podium in France. I hate to sound so opportunistic about it but still, it will be interesting to see how this might affect the grand prix rankings.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well there goes a whole half-season of bad posture jokes. Hmpf. (Just kidding, people!)

I'm actually sorry to see them not compete, because they are an essential part of the upcoming Battle of the Ice Dancing Teams. It will make for an even more interesting SECOND half of the season.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Cappellini/Lanotte
3. Chock/Bates

Going to predict that as 2015 World podium right now. Doesn't look like any of the Russian teams will be up to the task this season.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'm curious to see how this will impact their national chances should they be able to go for them. If anyone beats them at nationals, especially with the biggest threats being new teams (I/Z and S/K), things could look grim on the horizon. I hope he is able to recover soon and thoroughly.

Macassar88

Medalist
Argh - I really wanted to see their programs ASAP :(
So unfortunate that they had to miss out on the GP and preceding competitions

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Soloviev is about to undergo knee surgery so they will have to miss the grand prix. Icenetwork has a short article on it:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/20/95581772

From the way it's stated in the article it sounds like the hope is to do surgery now to prevent further injuries in the future. They plan to compete at Russian Nationals in December though.

I hope he has a speedy recovery and that they are able to come back in December in full force!

I did peak at the grand prix assignments to see what this might mean. No word on the subs yet.

It looks like Chock and Bates might have a clear path to gold at Skate America now unless the Shibs really make waves. Also Hubbel and Donahue should have a better chance at podium in France. I hate to sound so opportunistic about it but still, it will be interesting to see how this might affect the grand prix rankings.

This is really sad. i fear they are like Krylova and Oksianikov, Domina and Shalabin - injuries doomed them from reaching their full potential. I am wondering Samsona re you an American fan or is it truly that B and S' misfortune just serves the American teams? Just wondering.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Cappellini/Lanotte
3. Chock/Bates

Going to predict that as 2015 World podium right now. Doesn't look like any of the Russian teams will be up to the task this season.

I really hope shibutanis pass Chock and BAtes though i agree this is a likely outcome other than the Italians might win the gold as the Canadians make far too many errors. B and S misfortune might encourage C and L to stay on ; at one point I thought C and L could be that team that gets passed by everyone but I don't think so now. They looked ripe for the picking for a while.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I heard this earlier and although I'm not a big fan of B/S that's certainly a shame. I'll miss their presence on the GP as I would have liked to have seen how they fared in comparison to the other top teams.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not really. W&P and C&L are the reigning world silver and gold medalists. The bronze medalists, P&B, are retired. I&K are split, S&Z are split, B&S are injured. D&W and V&M are almost surely retired.

That leaves you with C&B, and S&S, the fifth and sixth place finishers, looking to finish third.

Seventh was the now split S&Z, eighth was Gilles & Poirier, ninth Coomes and Buckland, and tenth Paul &.Islam.

Now somewhere in there I&Z and S&K will fit, and B&S, if they can get in shape. However, in general, the placing of a team is most determined by its weakest member. Poirier, an excellent skater, was unable to return to Worlds until Gilles was closer to his level. Likewise true for Chock & Bates. Even if both members of a team are very skilled, I don't ever recall a team that medalled at its first worlds in dance who had less than a year together.

My guess is that B&S come back strong and take third...but equally possible, C&B step it up this season, or S&S return to the bronze position.

So while not a lock, that's a possible, even likely, podium.

I wish B&S a speedy recovery, and hope this surgery is successful for Dmitri. I really enjoyed their skating at Skate America in 2012-2013.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I wish them a quick recovery, such a wonderful couple on the ice with very nice programs always worth watching.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice Dancing is in a sad state if C/L end up winning a 2nd World championship which would equal V/M and D/W.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Not really. W&P and C&L are the reigning world silver and gold medalists. The bronze medalists, P&B, are retired. I&K are split, S&Z are split, B&S are injured. D&W and V&M are almost surely retired.

That leaves you with C&B, and S&S, the fifth and sixth place finishers, looking to finish third.

Seventh was the now split S&Z, eighth was Gilles & Poirier, ninth Coomes and Buckland, and tenth Paul &.Islam.

Now somewhere in there I&Z and S&K will fit, and B&S, if they can get in shape. However, in general, the placing of a team is most determined by its weakest member. Poirier, an excellent skater, was unable to return to Worlds until Gilles was closer to his level. Likewise true for Chock & Bates. Even if both members of a team are very skilled, I don't ever recall a team that medalled at its first worlds in dance who had less than a year together.

My guess is that B&S come back strong and take third...but equally possible, C&B step it up this season, or S&S return to the bronze position.

So while not a lock, that's a possible, even likely, podium.

I wish B&S a speedy recovery, and hope this surgery is successful for Dmitri. I really enjoyed their skating at Skate America in 2012-2013.

A thoughtful analysis. Thank you.

Get well soon, Dima!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder if there will be a substitution for Skate America, only one month away!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Cappellini/Lanotte
3. Chock/Bates

I think you're right, but I'm going to see how the other Russian ice dance teams do. Who knows, if B/S are ready for Euros and win it, they could still contend for a World medal. That being said, the podium above is what I would prefer to see. :) I do wish B/S a speedy recovery though.

Also, I don't like the bad rap that C/L keep getting. I think they're a solid, hard-working team who arguably deserved their world title (which was too close anyways). Yeah, they're not D/W or V/M, but nobody in the World is right now, nor will they be.

Also, if Fusar-Poli/Margaglio can be World Champions, it's not really a big deal if Capellini/Lanotte (coincidentally, also Italian), happen to be tied with V/M and D/W for world titles when V/M and D/W had to split titles and C/L won in a weak year with the favourites (I/K) bombing, and possibly a year where the field was rebuilding.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This was B and S's big chance to get on the podium again. I think it will be hard; really this opens the door for Chock and Bates it would apear - now once theya re on the podium can they stay on. On the other hand this only h urts Gilles and Poirier chances 0- just the assignments. But life is luck often and who knows - ice can be very slippery.

anyanka

Record Breaker
(potentially silly) Question: do the spots go to the next ranked skaters? Or are the assignments given to the Russian skating federation to give to other Russian teams? I recall something along the lines of a country in one of the GPs this year giving up their slot and another country took it, based on that skater's ranking.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
(potentially silly) Question: do the spots go to the next ranked skaters? Or are the assignments given to the Russian skating federation to give to other Russian teams? I recall something along the lines of a country in one of the GPs this year giving up their slot and another country took it, based on that skater's ranking.

There is a substitution list. All skaters/pairs who on the top 75 2013-14 Season's Best list who skated either the overall score minimum or the TES minimum can qualify to be on the list. The top 5 skaters, ranked by their season's best, are on the eligible list. The host federations (so US and France in this case, filling the spots B/S will vacate) select from this list of 5 skaters. Once a skater/pair has 2 GP events, they move off the list and the next eligible ranked skater/pair moves up.

The current top 5 substitution list is:

SB 23: Guignard/Fabbri (SA)
SB 31: Testa/Csolley
SB 38: Orford/Williams (SA)
SB 39: Kim/Minov (TEB)
SB 40: Stepanova/Bukin (RC)

The next two dance teams in line are Shtork/Rand and Agafonova/Ucar. Depending on selections, both could move up into the top 5 list depending on how the US and France select.

Right now, B/S aren't even listed as withdrawn on the ISU site yet.

anyanka

Record Breaker
There is a substitution list. All skaters/pairs who on the top 75 2013-14 Season's Best list skated who either the overall score minimum or the TES minimum can qualify to be on the list. The top 5 skaters, ranked by their season's best, are on the eligible list. The host federations (so US and France in this case, filling the spots B/S will vacate) select from this list of 5 skaters. Once a skater/pair has 2 GP events, they move off the list and the next eligible ranked skater/pair moves up.

The current top 5 substitution list is:

SB 23: Guignard/Fabbri (SA)
SB 31: Testa/Csolley
SB 38: Orford/Williams (SA)
SB 39: Kim/Minov (TEB)
SB 40: Stepanova/Bukin (RC)

The next two dance teams in line are Shtork/Rand and Agafonova/Ucar. Depending on selections, both could move up into the top 5 list depending on how the US and France select.

Right now, B/S aren't even listed as withdrawn on the ISU site yet.

Very detailed, thanks so much! And yeah, I did notice that B/S haven't been scratched off quite yet. If they could do even one event before 2014 is out, that would be something!

samson

Medalist
This is really sad. i fear they are like Krylova and Oksianikov, Domina and Shalabin - injuries doomed them from reaching their full potential. I am wondering Samsona re you an American fan or is it truly that B and S' misfortune just serves the American teams? Just wondering.

Hey good question! It's a little bit of both. I am from the States so I'm inclined to root for Americans - but still I also think this will benefit American Teams specifically. For instance at SKAM, the only other team besides Chock/Bates and The Shibs ranked in the top 10 was B/S. It stands to reason the fight for the top spot would be between those teams in some way but now I think Chock and Bates are easily the favorites, and I don't see any of the other teams being a threat to the Shibs.

At TEB, the C/L will be there so I should say they also benefit from B/S absence because a win should be easy for them now, but I guess I was counting them as favorites anyway. I think ot now means there are two spots on the podium rather than one. Now if H/D are healthy I'd give then the edge over Canadians Gilles/Poirier but I think the battle for silver will go down there and H/D have a REAL strong chance of at least medaling here, but I think they're in real contention for silver now.

So with that said, I think all three top American teams probably stand to benefit the most of all whenit comes to grand prix rankings and trying to get in the final, but yeah, a more thorough analysis would suggest Gilles/Poirier and C/L also benefit.