2023-24 Senior Grand Prix Final Pre Game Chat | Golden Skate

2023-24 Senior Grand Prix Final Pre Game Chat

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The 2023-24 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final are currently scheduled to take place Dec. 7-10, 2023, in Beijing, China, at the Beijing National Indoor Stadium. The event is the culmination of the 2023-24 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series for which the top six skaters/teams have qualified, based on the scores they received at the individual Grand Prix events.

Post your thoughts, photos, tidbits, and news here!

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Direct link to 2023-2024 REWATCH Senior GPF

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That would be nice, but that should really only if necessary.
I believe it is necessary. Unless others make mistake, he probably won't lead after the SP. Then, the others also jump multiple quads. The quad axel not only raises his base value but it does create excitement from (almost) everyone, including the judges.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe it is necessary. Unless others make mistake, he probably won't lead after the SP. Then, the others also jump multiple quads. The quad axel not only raises his base value but it doesn't create excitement from (almost) everyone, including the judges.
Fair points. I’m worried about the risk-reward if it does not land cleanly. The competition looks tough and I don't want Ilia to lose out on a medal.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, if he wants to land it when it counts most, like worlds and Olympics, he will have to include it from time to time.
Ilia has said that this season, he's working on artistry more and focusing on bringing his presentation scores up. At least up until now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ilia has said that this season, he's working on artistry more and focusing on bringing his presentation scores up. At least up until now.
i am aware of that. Still, if he wants to win, he will need to distinguish himself from others. Yuma, Shoma and Adam are ahead of him when clean.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Since my account remains confined to "formerly known as twitter" jail, I'm unable to address my concern by replying directly to the "tweet" linked below

But Golden Skate (or whoever is responsible for the "tweet")...why you doing Kao and Kevin dirty?
Regardless of what you feel their medal potential might be they at least deserve some respect for qualifying

icewhite

Record Breaker
Since my account remains confined to "formerly known as twitter" jail, I'm unable to address my concern by replying directly to the "tweet" linked below

But Golden Skate (or whoever is responsible for the "tweet")...why you doing Kao and Kevin dirty?
Regardless of what you feel their medal potential might be they at least deserve some respect for qualifying

Thought the same. That was not just Golden Skate though. I saw several accounts focussing on the top 4 in each discipline which I guess makes it easier with the pictures etc. and in most cases the top 4 are the only ones with realistic chances, especially in men's they are the 300+ club, but yes, it seems unfair and weird - especially with the percentage. It's one thing to pick the top3 from 10 contenders because you want to focus, but leaving out 2 of 6 makes those two appear like unnecessary bibelot.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Regarding Ilia, his training very much indicates that he will do the 4A in the short already. It seems a rather stable jump for him, and I think it makes sense for him to include it, both because he likely needs it against Shoma, Yuma and Adam, and because he will get more used to such an outlet for future competitions.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i am aware of that. Still, if he wants to win, he will need to distinguish himself from others. Yuma, Shoma and Adam are ahead of him when clean.
I thought it was a pretty good strategy, to not include the 4axel for awhile, in order to show the world that he intends to pay attention to presentation, since nearly all the world (not me!:)) criticizes his artistry. However, after I wrote this post (late last night) I recalled that even early in the season,, he left it open that he might include 4A by the GPF. As per @icewhite, he might be planning it.

ETA: Wooopsie! I'm obviously just now watching the replay of the GPF men's SP, and yes he landed it beautifully! 😍

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
How are the practices going? Any worries, wow moments, or weird occurrences?
Hana Yoshida landed a 3A in her SP runthrough, Mao Shimada had a rough FS runthrough (for her) today, falling on the 3A and popping the 4T and one other jump. Kao Miura was not at practice today, which is a bit unusual for him but also easily explainable Japanese media is reporting it is due to "poor condition"... Kao can't catch a break istg

Last edited: