Mariah Bell | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Mariah Bell

TMC

Record Breaker
What a fearless pairs girl. :laugh: but is that in fact Romain Ponsart as indicated by the user names? (I may like the men, but the only French ones I would recognize are Florent and Chafik). Looks like Coach Vincent is bringing more French skaters over. ;)

Ooh I hope it's permanent...big fan of Romain :love: :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope it works out. I was really sad when things didn't work out with Brian Joubert. But i thought Romain wanted to train in Paris though?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mariah had the third highest TES in the SP tonight! She almost had the 3-3. Here's hoping she does great on Saturday!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Mariah had the third highest TES in the SP tonight! She almost had the 3-3. Here's hoping she does great on Saturday!

I am also rooting for her on Saturday! I enjoyed her SP a lot even with the mistake! :love:

tulosai

Record Breaker
My heart is broken for Mariah :( I hope she'll be able to use this as a learning experience and come back strong next season.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After Mariah had such a great nationals last year, it was hard to see her so sad after her FS - did not like that NBC kept the camera on her while she was crying. I'm sure she'll learn from this and not to Zayak again.

Overall, her FS performance was okay in my eyes, just that dang rule invalidated two of her jumping passes. As Johnny Weir said, she has the goods, she just needs to put it all together. Hope team KoRo can help her through this disappointment and Mariah will be her usually positive, upbeat self.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I saw Mariah at Skate America this season, and her performances there didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped.

While spending time editing videos, I'll usually notice little things that I hadn't before. During Mariah's FS at Nationals this year, I was touched by a few portions of her performance. Her choreographic sequence at Nats seemed much better than I remember from SkAm... couldn't figure out why. So I went back to compare the two, and made this 30-second video:

Mariah Bell Choreographic Sequence (FS 2015-2016)
https://youtu.be/HWcSZnOqbZc

This sequence from Skate America looks rushed, particularly from 0:14 to 0:23. At Nationals, she held these last two positions just a bit longer (couldn't be more than a second or two) but the difference feels tremendous to me. Especially that position at 0:15 - 0:18 from Nationals (on the right)! :love: Strange thing, that same sequence at Skate America (left side) just seems a little blah to me. :confused:

Anyway, it's a shame we haven't gotten to see a cleaner version of this program.

(I also posted a 'no commentary' version of Mariah's FS from 2016 Nationals here)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^Thanks!!

I think the Choreo was maybe a little too difficult for where her technical merit was this season. Her programs were amazing though and the potential meter was thru the roof...especially the FS.

The video shows how much more natural she moved at Nationals. I still love this girl no matter what. Mariah4Life!!

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
^Thanks!!

I think the Choreo was maybe a little too difficult for where her technical merit was this season. Her programs were amazing though and the potential meter was thru the roof...especially the FS.

The video shows how much more natural she moved at Nationals. I still love this girl no matter what. Mariah4Life!!

Yes I agree with this analysis... I do really hope they'll be able to get to the root of her jumping issues since I truly think she could be a top skater if she was able to more consistently land her jumps.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes I agree with this analysis... I do really hope they'll be able to get to the root of her jumping issues since I truly think she could be a top skater if she was able to more consistently land her jumps.

I hope she performs to her potential next year. One of the most expressive girls with serious PCS potential who always trips on the TES front. If her jumps could just become secure she would easily make a case for a podium in any event.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I love her expression- she clearly really does love it!

I think TSL might have been right in saying she needs a more flirty program.

I think this has potential to be a great sexy, flirty, playful program that does not cross the line into raunchy.