Ilinykh and Zhiganshin rise from the ashes | Golden Skate

Ilinykh and Zhiganshin rise from the ashes

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elena Ilinykh and Ruslan Zhiganshin of Russia, who were both successful in different partnerships, never planned to skate together. However, after the much discussed ice dance break-ups of the past season, they found themselves together.

More

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you for the great interview!

We have all been wondering about Elena and Ruslan's side of the breakup and the formation of their new team.

Alba

Record Breaker
Thank you for this article. I like Flade's interview in general. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wonderful interview! Interesting to hear they have many common topics outside of skating, hence why they get along well. :) Good luck to them at GPF and Nationals.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a positive turn of events this whole story has become. They have become a source of inspiration and shown us all the value in pushing forward even in the face of uncertainty. All the while minimizing the negative stories that could have arisen from this situation. I will follow this pair and hope for their continued success.

Thank you GS for providing this :bow:

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Very nice interview!! Wishing good luck to Elena and Ruslan, they can possibly medal at big championships in the next seasons.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What a positive turn of events this whole story has become. They have become a source of inspiration and shown us all the value in pushing forward even in the face of uncertainty. All the while minimizing the negative stories that could have arisen from this situation. I will follow this pair and hope for their continued success.

Thank you GS for providing this :bow:

Agreed! Totally inspirational couple -- can't wait to see what they do next!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am very happy for them. We need some good ice skating news about now. (can anyone name two other Russian Ice dance pairs who switched partners? ;) ) But I have a technical question. In the US, I think, if you switch partners, you have to start at ground zero and head up through Sectionals to make it to nats and eventually to the GP circuit? I assume other countries have their own rules?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Thank you! I love how they radiate positivity and have so much drive to improve themselves, I hope they have a good outing in Barcelona

Alba

Record Breaker
I am very happy for them. We need some good ice skating news about now. (can anyone name two other Russian Ice dance pairs who switched partners? ;) )

Hum...nothing comes to my mind. I don't think there was. :think:

But I have a technical question. In the US, I think, if you switch partners, you have to start at ground zero and head up through Sectionals to make it to nats and eventually to the GP circuit? I assume other countries have their own rules?

I didn't know that. I'm curious to know how this works.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I'm pretty sure that never happened. You must have been having a nightmare ;)

Usova and Zhulin and Gristchuk and Platov, but it happened as pros. In pairs, Mukhortova and Lebedev and Shestakhova and Trankov swapped as juniors, and the new pairs won Jr Worlds in consecutive years. Shestakhova and Lebedev didn't last long and we all know what eventually happened to Mukhortova and Teankov.

peg

Medalist
Usova and Zhulin and Gristchuk and Platov, but it happened as pros. In pairs, Mukhortova and Lebedev and Shestakhova and Trankov swapped as juniors, and the new pairs won Jr Worlds in consecutive years. Shestakhova and Lebedev didn't last long and we all know what eventually happened to Mukhortova and Teankov.

Clearly, we need a sarcasm font ;)

uhh

Medalist
I am very happy for them. We need some good ice skating news about now. (can anyone name two other Russian Ice dance pairs who switched partners? ;) ) But I have a technical question. In the US, I think, if you switch partners, you have to start at ground zero and head up through Sectionals to make it to nats and eventually to the GP circuit? I assume other countries have their own rules?

They were entitled under the split couple rule to grand prix assignments thanks to where they placed at Worlds last year with their previous partners - this rule applies to skaters from any country, & also explains how Simon Shnapir & Deedee Leng got their assignments this year. As they have GP assignments, they get a bye to Russian Nationals, and didn't have to do the internal Russian Cup events. The only point where they have to completely start again is getting the TES minimum scores for Europeans & Worlds, which they managed in their very first competition.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I adore them! Let's see what they will perform at GPF. I won't be dissapointed if they finish last with a good performance. I hope they will improve their free dance. :cheer:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am just thrilled for I/Z. At the beginning of summer I didn't know they will work out like this. Awesome!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I am just thrilled for I/Z. At the beginning of summer I didn't know they will work out like this. Awesome!

:thumbsup: :biggrin:

It makes me happy seeing THEM so happy out there on the ice and after their performances. That's what skating should be about, right? Just being out there and loving your sport.

beabstress

On the Ice
I adore them! Let's see what they will perform at GPF. I won't be dissapointed if they finish last with a good performance. I hope they will improve their free dance. :cheer:

Yes. Just getting to the GPF is a HUGE accomplishment. I doubt this team has unrealistic goals about how they'll place at this competition. What a great chance to get more competition experience! I hope they enjoy their time in Barcelona.