US teams for 2015 Worlds and 4CCs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

US teams for 2015 Worlds and 4CCs

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Maybe Jeremy really would prefer to go to Four Continents only if (heaven forbid) absolutely "needed."
No doubt he is emotionally drained -- mostly b/c of the still-recent loss of his father and also b/c of the outcome in Greensboro.

I wouldn't blame him if he would like a chance to catch his breath.
Four Continents is coming up very soon, and would involve major travel, not to mention the stress of competing.

(In any case, I assume the order of the Four Continents alternates is not intended as a slight against Jeremy.)
Okay, this makes sense. Best wishes to Jeremy and his family.

I admit I was a bit sensitive regarding "Ross Miner" and "possible special treatment," between his SP scores (so close to Adam) and Tara/Johnny's commentary ("it's clear the judges like him"). I need to stop this--I'm becoming a crazy conspiracy theorist. :hopelessness:

blancanieves

On the Ice
The thing is, we kind of do. If they didn't want to go they wouldn't be listed as first alternates.

The odds of C/B or S/S not competing are pretty much zero. Being listed as an alternate in this scenario is rather trivial.

ETA I'd almost forgotten this. When H/D withdrew from Finlandia Trophy this summer, C/McM became listed as participants, but H/D were then listed as alternates. Since then, Madison has revealed that she'd suffered a setback that prompted the withdrawal. So being listed as alternates can sometimes just be a formality.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I admit I was a bit sensitive regarding "Ross Miner" and "possible special treatment," between his SP scores (so close to Adam) and Tara/Johnny's commentary ("it's clear the judges like him"). I need to stop this--I'm becoming a crazy conspiracy theorist. :hopelessness:

I like Ross Miner, but I'm my own personal judge. :eek::

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I like Ross Miner, but I'm my own personal judge. :eek::
Sorry, it was illogical of me to speculate that the Federation would somehow hold up Ross Miner over Jeremy Abbott of all people. It was just a weird thought that crossed my head--really should've suppressed that one. :slink: Anyway, Max is first alternate so it's very unlikely either Ross or Jeremy would get called up.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Oh jeez, Sammi is gonna get crucified by the USFS again if she nearly beats out Gracie at 4CC like at Skate America.

The judges had to hammer her SP at Nationals to prevent a podium finish because her LP is very strong. #conspiracy :cool:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm happy that Sam will go to 4CCs but I really hoped Ashley would test her programs in front of an international panel first, especially her 3-3s to see how the edges and rotations will be judged

alebi

Medalist
WOW I love the men's podium (and selection)! Way over my expectations :cheer: I couldn't imagine Adam and Josh do so well after this season and now I have two more competitions to watch and admire them :love:

desertskates

Medalist
So happy Sam gets a chance. I really hope Gracie doesn't decide to drop out of 4CC, I think that healed foot needs another performance on it, and she looks like she could use a lil' boost of confidence.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Oh jeez, Sammi is gonna get crucified by the USFS again if she nearly beats out Gracie at 4CC like at Skate America.

The judges had to hammer her SP at Nationals to prevent a podium finish because her LP is very strong. #conspiracy :cool:

Unfortunately, Cesario is not in the same league with Gracie. Besides, Cesario's score at SA was very generous given her blatant flutz not being called by the judges. If she were that good, she should've been placed ahead of 7th at TEB this season where Ashley was 3rd, and Courtney was 4th. She ventured with her flutz there, but the judges spotted her chronic wrong edges. Moreover, her SP score at Nationals 2015 is her personal best score, while the others were overscored. Her issues mainly with rotations and wrong edges have prevented her to go up higher, so blaming the USFS is unwarranted. I don't even predict that she is gonna get on the podium at 4CCs, since Japanese skaters like Satoko Miyahara, the runner-up of 4CCs last season and Rika Hongo, the winner of the Rostelecom Cup 2014 will be main top contenders this year. Graice is of course gonna be the top favorite for the title if she does as much as her showings at Nationals 2015 even with a fall and doubling a jump.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Unfortunately, Cesario is not in the same league with Gracie. Besides, Cesario's score at SA was very generous given her blatant flutz not being called by the judges. If she were that good, she should've been placed ahead of 7th place at TEB this season. She ventured with her flutz there, but the judges spotted her chronic wrong edges. Moreover, her SP score at Nationals 2015 is her personal best score, while the others were overscored. Her issues mainly with rotations and wrong edges have prevented her to go up higher, so blaming the USFS is unwarranted. I don't even predict that she is gonna get on the podium at 4CCs, since Japanese skaters like Satoko Miyahara, the runner-up of 4CCs last year and Rika Hongo, the winner of Rostelecom will be main top contenders this year.

I agree with you. I'm not saying that Cesario is a better skater overall than Gold in any sense. A clean Gold would mop the floor against a clean Cesario.

But while Cesario has her many flaws (her speed on the ice especially... ZZZZZ), Gracie (and the other competitors aside from the Russians) at SA had unusually large errors that were hard to overlook in Chicago.

Cesario deserved to win bronze at Skate America over the fatally flawed programs there. Competition rankings should be based on the performances, not on potential which it seems like you're doing by bringing up Cesario's other competitions in which she has done poorly (which are many).

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree with you. I'm not saying that Cesario is a better skater overall than Gold in any sense. A clean Gold would mop the floor against a clean Cesario.

But while Cesario has her many flaws (her speed on the ice especially... ZZZZZ), Gracie (and the other competitors aside from the Russians) at SA had unusually large errors that were hard to overlook in Chicago.

Cesario deserved to win bronze at Skate America over the fatally flawed programs there. Competition rankings should be based on the performances, not on potential which it seems like you're doing by bringing up Cesario's other competitions in which she has done poorly (which are many).

Again, I don't think Cesario was robbed of the bronze medal at SA from Gracie because of her uncalled flutz at SP and only attention mark given to her Free program. I'm not sure why flutz is treated generously than lip with which Gracie has been struggling. If her SA performances had been correctly judged like the TEB judges did, she might've been placed around 7th, not 3rd place at SA. That is why I brought up her placement at her other Grand Prix assignment. Besides, the conspiracy theory is unreasonable as supposed that Cesario is currently a big threat to Gracie. I understand you root for Cesario but she is a substitute for Ashley, so if I were you, I would be really satisfied with her joining into the 4CC team.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kinda laughable (sorry) that Cesario could even be thought of as a threat to Gold...only in the case of meltdown by GG, really.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Kinda laughable (sorry) that Cesario could even be thought of as a threat to Gold...only in the case of meltdown by GG, really.

To be fair those aren't exactly unheard of from Gracie, remember her 2013 Skate Canada FS? People said the same of Anna Pogorilaya at the Rostelecom Cup and look what happened there. I don't think it's likely to happen, but it isn't inconceivable.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Again, I don't think Cesario was robbed of the bronze medal from Gracie at SA because of her uncalled flutz at SP and only attention mark given to her LP. I'm not sure why flutz is treated generously than lip. If her SA performances had been correctly judged like where the TEB judges did, she might've been placed around 7th, not 3rd place at SA. That is why I brought up her placement at her other Grand Prix assignment. Besides, the conspiracy theory is unreasonable as supposed that Cesario is currently a big threat to Gracie. I understand you root for Cesario but she is a substitute for Ashley, so if I were you, I would be really satisfied with her joining into the 4CC team.

Cesario is absolutely not a threat to Gold in any sense. But that doesn't mean Cesario can't beat Gold when she implodes. IE, Suzuki beat Asada many times from 2010-2014 fair and square, but that doesn't mean she's a better skater overall. Just that she was better in those competitions. In an ideal world, reputation should mean nothing at the beginning of any competition.

And I'm thrilled that Cesario is going to 4CC! I was just being sarcastic with the whole conspiracy thing hence the hashtag and the smiley. :)

I'm just on the Cesario train this season because her programs fit her. Gold needs to bring her HBIC persona out and own the ice with music she actually likes. These programs aren't doing it for me, which is sad because her jumps are out of this world and her basic skating skills as well as her spins are fantastic. With better packaging she could be much more incredible than she is now.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair those aren't exactly unheard of from Gracie, remember her 2013 Skate Canada FS? People said the same of Anna Pogorilaya at the Rostelecom Cup and look what happened there. I don't think it's likely to happen, but it isn't inconceivable.

Maybe but Gracie seems to get better as the season progresses.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

GG did have a meltdown at Skate America, which is my point. She's not a threat, but Gold's terrible performances warranted a 4th place finish.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I am honestly not expecting Gracie to win at 4CC even though shes the favorite. It would be a great surprise if she does bring it though, and it'll be a big boost for her going into worlds.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So happy Sam gets a chance. I really hope Gracie doesn't decide to drop out of 4CC, I think that healed foot needs another performance on it, and she looks like she could use a lil' boost of confidence.

Gracie sounded pretty firm about going to 4CC's at the press conference. Of course, things could change, after giving it some thought following Nationals. I hope she does go though in order to get another competition under her belt before Worlds.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Cesario is absolutely not a threat to Gold in any sense. But that doesn't mean Cesario can't beat Gold when she implodes. IE, Suzuki beat Asada many times from 2010-2014 fair and square, but that doesn't mean she's a better skater overall. Just that she was better in those competitions. In an ideal world, reputation should mean nothing at the beginning of any competition.

And I'm thrilled that Cesario is going to 4CC! I was just being sarcastic with the whole conspiracy thing hence the hashtag and the smiley. :)

I'm just on the Cesario train this season because her programs fit her. Gold needs to bring her HBIC persona out and own the ice with music she actually likes. These programs aren't doing it for me, which is sad because her jumps are out of this world and her basic skating skills as well as her spins are fantastic. With better packaging she could be much more incredible than she is now.

I know this isn't your main point but I don't think Suzuki and Ceasario are in the same league, so much so that the comparison doesn't work for me. It would take a TRUE implosion from Gracie for Sam to be able to beat her. It only took a few errors from Mao, at times, for Suzuki to beat her. While I think Suzuki was one of the most underrated skaters of all time and so I can't say she was always a medal threat at every competition, I think it is fair to say she was a medal threat at every competition but Worlds that she entered (and she even did eek out her one World medal). Sam winning the kind of medals Suzuki did, at this time, is absolutely unthinkable. And I am a fan of Sam.

(Please note I am talking about the last years of Suzuki's career. She was obviously a late bloomer and a lot of this would not hold up in her early career, which I know)