Sota Yamamoto | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Your post got me thinking about something I read last week. Akiko Suzuki told a fan at PIW that she'll be doing choreography for a male skater this season. She didn't reveal the name but all of Coach Nagakubo's top female skaters got their SP done by Akiko last season and had some success with them. Maybe the male skater is Sota? Sota might not have enough time to work on his programs as much as he likes so it would be ideal that his choreographer is at his home rink often to guide him. Anyway, it's just something that popped up in my mind so don't take me seriously.
I was also thinking before that he might keep at least one of his programs because I don't feel that he nailed them completely until the end. I'm not sure if Kenji's style suits Sota though :scratch2:
I'd like to see something different from him too. Something comical? I can see him with an embarrassed smile throughout the program already :laugh: Or something like his exhibition program he's had for 2 seasons. I think the music really brings out Sota's good qualities. I don't know who choreographed it- maybe Rika's mom.
Regarding Stephane, I'd love it if he was brought back to teach at the training camp this year too :luv17:

I would love it of Akiko choreographed for him!!!! That would be lovely. If he keeps one of his programs, I hope its Poeta cause I liked it except for the hair style 😂 but most likely if he had to keep one, I think he'd chose to keep Concerto no.1 cause he never perform it as best. The best one was probably at Copernicus Stars. Plus he changed the layout so much. He had like four different ones. One where he did 2 quad 2 triple axels, though he i think he only used that layout in All Japan Juniors. Then he had the other layout with 2 triple axels and 2 triple lutz and one quad, then the third layout was with 2 quads 1 triple axel (all japan senior nats, JGPF), then another one with 1 quad and 1 triple axel (Youth Olympics)

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Thanks mikaboo! He must be frustrated at being late for the preparation of the new season.. Take your enough time to recover, Sota! You are young.

I’m sure he’ll turn senior, although I don’t see if he can get 2 spots of GPS. Of course, turning senior with Junior title was his wish, but like Wakaba, it’s the best time considering 2018.

I agree that he should challenge any other choreographers. Stephane is one of the choreographers who can have great influence on him. He’s been invited to the training camps in Japan, and given instructions to him.
BTW, how about David Wilson? If their feelings match, it feels like something wonderful will be created.

I agree with u. And about David Wilson...does he do Juniors? I didn't know that but then i dont know many things 😂 so... i have a feeling choreography with David would be packed with transitions and transitions and transitions and hand/arm and more transitions which would be great to see. He'll probably create like a choctow three turn Mohawk three turn, left back inside edge change, to left front outside and then a three turn, Choctaw three turn back outside edge into 3Lz-3T or something along those lines hahahahaha (dont yell at me for my lack of knowledge on transitions, i know i dont know alot)

mikaboo

Medalist
Thanks mikaboo! He must be frustrated at being late for the preparation of the new season.. Take your enough time to recover, Sota! You are young.

I’m sure he’ll turn senior, although I don’t see if he can get 2 spots of GPS. Of course, turning senior with Junior title was his wish, but like Wakaba, it’s the best time considering 2018.

I agree that he should challenge any other choreographers. Stephane is one of the choreographers who can have great influence on him. He’s been invited to the training camps in Japan, and given instructions to him.
BTW, how about David Wilson? If their feelings match, it feels like something wonderful will be created.

I feel that if he turned senior when he isn't ready (with the time he's been off the ice) it could hurt his reputation even if he gets 2 GPs so I think it will really depend on how much he can recover until the time GP starts. But JGP starts before that so competing there might even be tougher for him... He could get 2 GPs and go to JW too though. I don't know if he's good enough to beat Mura to make the Worlds team. A healthy Mura is tough to beat, Keiji is improving slowly, but steadily and Dice might even decide to peak at Nationals this year for a change. Sota will have to be healthy AND consistent with 3A and quads to be on the team unless everybody else bombs (not unheard of).

I would love it of Akiko choreographed for him!!!! That would be lovely. If he keeps one of his programs, I hope its Poeta cause I liked it except for the hair style 😂 but most likely if he had to keep one, I think he'd chose to keep Concerto no.1 cause he never perform it as best. The best one was probably at Copernicus Stars. Plus he changed the layout so much. He had like four different ones. One where he did 2 quad 2 triple axels, though he i think he only used that layout in All Japan Juniors. Then he had the other layout with 2 triple axels and 2 triple lutz and one quad, then the third layout was with 2 quads 1 triple axel (all japan senior nats, JGPF), then another one with 1 quad and 1 triple axel (Youth Olympics)

I agree. I like Poeta more, mostly because of the music but that hairstyle has got to go! I bet it's all Kenji's doing! Sota's face already looks older than his years, so there's no need to make him look older than that!:dev2:

(dont yell at me for my lack of knowledge on transitions, i know i dont know alot)

I was just admiring your knowledge. You know a 100 times more than I do!

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I agree with u. And about David Wilson...does he do Juniors? I didn't know that but then i dont know many things so... i have a feeling choreography with David would be packed with transitions and transitions and transitions and hand/arm and more transitions which would be great to see. He'll probably create like a choctow three turn Mohawk three turn, left back inside edge change, to left front outside and then a three turn, Choctaw three turn back outside edge into 3Lz-3T or something along those lines hahahahaha (dont yell at me for my lack of knowledge on transitions, i know i dont know alot)

Your know well about something technical! It’ll be a kind of training program. I remember yuzu totally ran out of stamina in his programs every time… But thinking back to these days, they might have been effective. He must have got stronger physically during the two years (Of course, he could get the biggest title thanks to the programs.:)).

I feel that if he turned senior when he isn't ready (with the time he's been off the ice) it could hurt his reputation even if he gets 2 GPs so I think it will really depend on how much he can recover until the time GP starts. But JGP starts before that so competing there might even be tougher for him... He could get 2 GPs and go to JW too though. I don't know if he's good enough to beat Mura to make the Worlds team. A healthy Mura is tough to beat, Keiji is improving slowly, but steadily and Dice might even decide to peak at Nationals this year for a change. Sota will have to be healthy AND consistent with 3A and quads to be on the team unless everybody else bombs (not unheard of).

I agree. I like Poeta more, mostly because of the music but that hairstyle has got to go! I bet it's all Kenji's doing! Sota's face already looks older than his years, so there's no need to make him look older than that!:dev2:

Yes, my biggest concern is he seems to have a habit to pop 3A. Further, 4T isn’t stable. About his punk 3A, I expected that he’d improve it during the last season, but it’s a pity I can’t say he did. He must avoid reducing BV more if he competes in Senior… :slink:

Still I want him to go to Senior if he’s recovered totally. Seeing this season’s Shoma, I can feel how much more he could learn in his senior year than in his junior ones. He’s sharply matured for one year through so many experiences…

About Kenji's coreo, I personally dislike his “touching oneself’s face” movement. It’s too much. :biggrin:

mikaboo

Medalist
Yes, my biggest concern is he seems to have a habit to pop 3A. Further, 4T isn’t stable. About his punk 3A, I expected that he’d improve it during the last season, but it’s a pity I can’t say he did. He must avoid reducing BV more if he competes in Senior… :slink:

Still I want him to go to Senior if he’s recovered totally. Seeing this season’s Shoma, I can feel how much more he could learn in his senior year than in his junior ones. He’s sharply matured for one year through so many experiences…

About Kenji's coreo, I personally dislike his “touching oneself’s face” movement. It’s too much. :biggrin:

Turning senior did wonders for Rika as well last season. If Sota and his team thinks he's ready, then I fully support their decision :yes:

About the face touching, I hope Sota doesn't stick with Kenji just to avoid that:biggrin: I'm kidding of course, he can work with whoever he wants.

---------
Does anybody have information regarding Sota's programs for the seasons below? I'm helping to update his OP but can't find these info. anywhere.
2011-2012
SP music; choreographer
FS music; choreographer

2012-2013
SP music; choreographer
FS Soundtracks from "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" by Randy Edelman; choreographer

He might have used the same music for 2 seasons but I don't know. This was before he moved to Nagoya so someone who works at Rinkai Skating Club might have been the choreographer.

Btw, this was his SP costume at the Asian Trophy 2012. Baby Sota was so cute!
1 2 3 4
Source

mikaboo

Medalist
I must have missed this article from October on Sports Navi although he's been giving similar interviews elsewhere so there was really nothing new. I translated just the interview part (which is most of the article) so I can add this article in the OP and link it to this post. The interview was conducted on September 10th, 2015. Text by Moritaka Ohashi.
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201510130004-spnavi
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201510130004-spnavi?p=2

You were 3rd at JGP Colorado Springs. How did you feel about your performance?
The altitude at Colorado was high so I worked on my stamina at the training camp during the summer vacation. The 3A and 4T gradually came with the flow of the music but I got nervous during the competition and they didn't go well as they did during practices. I landed the 4T for the first time in the FS but I lost stamina in the 2nd half. I was frustrated that I couldn't perform like I'm usually able to do.

I get the impression that your 3A didn't come along well. What do you think the problem was?
My practices went well after I got to Colorado but I couldn't land them during the 6 minute warm-up before the SP so I panicked and ended up competing in that panicky mode. As a result, I ended up making the same mistakes so I think there was a problem with my mentality there. I think I have to have to accumulate experiences to strengthen my mentality so I need to focus on every competition, one by one.

So you think that as a result of your warm-up not going well, the weak side of you came out?
I've been told that I'm strong at competitions lately and I have been landing them at competitions but I made a mistake that I hadn't made in a long time… For Nathan Chen, he was perfect in the official practice and perfect at the competition. He doesn't seem to get panicky or nervous and he even looked relaxed. He seemed like he doesn't know how to make mistakes, so I thought I'd like to learn from him.

You started adding the 4T from this season. You succeeded in landing it in an international competition already but was it difficult for you to add both the 3A and the 4T in your program?
Most of the difficult jumps are in the 1st half so if I put my focus there, I could somehow do them during practices but there is a 3A in the 2nd half so the program is more difficult compared to last season. But I can't be saying things like "it's difficult" so I'll just have to practice more and try to skate without mistakes in competitions.

You've been having difficulties with the 3A for a long time but they started to stabilize from the 2nd half of last season. Is there a reason for that?
The first time I landed a 3A in competition was at JGPF last season. I was in a really good condition when I got to Spain. I used to have a bit of fear but after I landed it in the SP, the fear went away. The success rate increased after that so I think it was important for me to land it in competition.

Your training must have paid off.
There are days when I don't feel fear at all and am in a good condition and there are bad days when I'm doubtful about it. I used to have ups and downs before but after JGPF, I've been able to land a few even on my bad days so I had success with them in the 2nd half of last season. I landed the 3A in the SP at my first competition of the season at Summer Cup but in the FS, I couldn't rebuild myself after the fall in the 4T and at JGP Colorado, I attempted it twice in the FS but the landings were not good so I think I just need to practice.

Do you feel yourself that you have ups and downs?
My worst days are better than before. There's been competitions where I fell 5 to 6 times before but I don't do that anymore which is normal. The top junior skaters are executing not only 1 quad, but 2-3 quads so I can't be relaxing by just doing 1 quad. I think one quad and two 3As are the minimum requirements.

Tell me about your programs this season. The SP is "Poeta" and FS is "Piano Concerto No.1". How did you decide on the music?
Both were music that I wanted to skate to so I asked Coach Nagakubo and he approved of them. "Poeta" was music that was first suggested from my mother and I agreed to it. For the FS, Maxim Kovtun skated to it in the OG season and I thought it would suit me. I wanted to skate to it one day and that's how I ended up with it.

The choreographer is Kenji Miyamoto. How was getting taught by him like?
Like I'd heard, he was a little strict (laughs). I was a bit weak regarding expressions last season but after I worked with Miyamoto sensei, dancing became fun and I think I improved a lot compared to previously.

Your performance has become more mature. Is there something you've consciously changed after getting guidance?
I'm not good at dancing. I felt embarrassed doing it last season but I don't feel that this season. He told me that the impression (people get) will be different just by holding the pose for another zero point something seconds so I'm careful about things like that when I'm in front of the judges.

Miyamoto-san said that you're a really hard worker. Have you always been like that?
The only jump I've had trouble with was the 3A during competitions and I've never had much difficulties with the other jumps. So I think of myself as naturally talented (genius) with the jumps but I wasn't good with spins before. I'm not flexible so I couldn't do the donut spin but I can do them now because I worked hard when I was little.

You attended both the junior and senior training camps during this off-season. What did you learn there?
This year's training camp was taught by Stephane Lambiel. He used the "Poeta" himself so he gave me lessons for that. Miyamoto sensei's choreography is wonderful but I was surprised at how much I was able to improve when I watched the video (of himself after Stephane gave him tips?). He (Stephane) really is fascinating.

"Poeta" is Stephane Lambiel's masterpiece. What kinds of advice did he give you?
For example, I tend to pull my shoulders up when I get tense but he told me that if I drop them a little, it'll look more cool and masculine. Things like that.

To increase the 5 component marks in the area of expression, it's important to be in sync with the music. How conscious are you of capturing the music?
All the time. During spins, I think things like "this movement matches the music" and I'm always aware of the music from practice. If they don't match, I don't feel good and the impression of the skating changes when the movements and the music are in sync so I'm very conscious of that this season.

Are you more aware of the parts where you want to attract (the audience/judges) even more?
I think so. I was too focused on the 3A last season and I wasn't good at dancing even though it wasn't strange looking. I've been landing the 3A this season so I want to work hard to further improve my expressions and skating.

The skater you admire is Yuzuru Hanyu. How did you come to admire him?
I knew about him since he was my age (now) and I thought he was really good. When I was in 4th grade, I was a sweeper at the National Championships that was held in Osaka (2009). Hanyu-kun was in 9th grade and I watched him from a close distance and I was fascinated by how good he was. I've liked him since then.

What things do you think you have in common with him?
Hanyu-kun is good at jumps and I am too so there's that. I think Hanyu-kun is naturally talented at jumping and I think I'm a bit like that myself.

From your conversations with Hanyu senshu, is there anything that left you with a strong impression?
"Poeta" is a flamenco piece so Miyamoto sensei gave me instructions to slick my hair back but I'd never done it before so I couldn't slick my hair back at all. I was with Hanyu-kun at an exhibition and I was struggling for 10 to 20 minutes in front of the glass reflection trying to slick my hair back and Hanyu-kun came to me and said something like "hairstyle is unimportant if your skating is good" (laughs). And I thought, "He has a point. It's the skating that makes it cool."

You're sometimes called "Hanyu II" because of your admiration for him. Any thought on that?
I don't think Hanyu-kun would be all that happy to be grouped together with me (laughs). But I admire him so it makes me happy to be told that we're alike but I'm not at that level yet, I'm really far from it. But as long as I'm being told that, it makes me want to work hard to reach his level.

(Continued to Part 2 below)

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
Part 2 of the interview posted above.

http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201510130006-spnavi
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201510130006-spnavi?p=2

How did you start skating?
My mother likes watching figure skating on TV and she was really into it before I started it. When I was about 5 years old, she was watching the Torino Olympics repeatedly and I'd of course watch it with her. When I saw Plushenko's performance and him with his gold medal, I thought he looked really cool. I told her, "I want a gold medal too," and that's how I started. I started going to classes when I was 5 years old and started with a coach when I was 6 years old.

Were you a fast learner?
Yes, I was able to jump more than the other kids my age so it was really fun.

How long did it take you to jump?
The hardest jump when you're small is the single axel. I think I started practicing when I was in 1st grade. It was in the 2nd half of my 1st grade year or 2nd grade that I started landing it in competitions so I think I improved a lot then.

You were skating in Osaka then, and learning from Coach Yoshinori Onishi. How were you training there?
I trained in the morning and at night. Onishi sensei advised me to not jump in the morning because it's not good for the body and it could lead to injuries so he told me to practice skating in the the morning. I'd do skating and spins in the mornings (laughs). I liked jumping so it was boring for me but doing all those skating practices are benefitting me now.

You relocated to Nagoya in 2012. Why did you decide to come here?
I came when I was in 7th grade. After the summer of 7th grade, I came here after the block (sectional) tournament because I'd been in a really bad condition with the jumps all during the summer vacation. Until then, I'd have bad days but would be jumping like a different person the next day but I wasn't able to jump for several months back then. Then at the block tournament, I had an awful skate and lost to my then rival, Taichiro Yamakuma. I was really frustrated and had a talk with my mother that night where we made the decision to go to Nagakubo sensei. The next day, we were already in Nagoya to talk with the coaches. The most important competition for me back then, the National Novice Championships, was coming up very soon so I wanted to be on the ice as soon as possible. We had some preparations to do and I was skating at Howa Sports Land 4 days later.

Did you know Nagakubo sensei from before?
I knew his face but didn't know that he was Hiroshi Nagakubo. But my mother knew about him quite well and she said "if you're having trouble with jumps, you should get taught by Nagakubo sensei". That's how I ended up getting coached by him.

Was there a difference from when you were skating in Osaka?
At Howa, everyone at the rink are a team so I couldn't get private lessons like before and only the ones who were making a lot of effort were able to receive private lessons. Nagakubo sensei wouldn't say anything to me at first and I didn't know why but I gradually got used to it and started to get lessons little by little. But at first, the system was totally different so I was surprised.

Was there a reason why he wouldn't say anything to you?
I used to not practice before (laughs). I'd be satisfied with just landing one kind of a jump (not sure what he means) once a day. I was popping the rest so he didn't bother with me.

What made you change your attitude?
Last season, I was jumping beautiful 3As during practice but couldn't land them at competitions… Then I remembered Akiko Suzuki-san saying that "when you're in a bad condition, just listen to your coach" so I decided to listen to him last season. He told me "when you're in a bad condition, just keep on jumping the 3A". So I started to practice them a lot no matter what.

You're in 10th grade now. What does your schedule in a day look like?
I usually train from 6:00 in the morning but I have to start warm-ups an hour before that so I'm at the rink by 5:00. I do warm-ups for an hour, then I train from 6:00 to 7:40. The ice gets resurfaced after that and I sometimes train from 8:00 but when I don't, I go to school from the 1st period. When I do train from 8:00, it's usually rented with Rika Hongo and Rin Nitaya and it goes for a little over 2 hours so I go to school from the 3rd period. I'm at school until the 6th period, then I attend the group lesson from 16:30 to 18:00 when the rink is open to the pubic. The ice gets resurfaced after that and I skate from 18:20 until 19:50 during the rented time. (I'm not sure if "rented" means rented by the skating club or by him and other skaters like Rika and Rin).

That's a busy schedule. What time do you go to sleep?
After training, I don't have anything to do until 21:00 so I lie around doing nothing. I usually go to sleep at 22:30 or 23:00. I have to get up early.

Do you take any days off?
I have training 7 days a week so there are no days when I get a whole day off. I have some free time on Sundays because I just have the morning practice. I have the afternoon off but when I think about the next day, I don't want to go out and end up just resting and not playing. But I don't feel like I have to go out and play.

How do you analyze your personality?
I'm aspirational and serious regarding skating and have a desire to do many things but other than that… (laughs) I don't have a drive to do much studying. I do things at my own pace. Aside from skating, I'm quite lazy.

What are your favorite and least favorite subjects at school?
I like PE (laughs). My test results tell me that I don't like Japanese History and World History. Japanese History and World History are all about memorizing. For mathematics, you can solve the problems if you understand the formulas and my Japanese language grades are so-so but I just can't do the subjects that are based on memorization. I don't read text books so I can't get good grades (laughs).

Your goal this season is to win the Junior World Championships. What do you think you'll need to do to achieve that?
The levels are higher than last season so it's going to be difficult. My goal is to win but if I were asked if I can get higher than 3rd from last season, I don't think it'll be easy. At the beginning of the season, I thought Nathan Chen would be a rival for me but after competing with him, I realize that he is on a level that I can't call him a rival anymore. And I don't think he considers me as a rival but is looking more towards the senior skaters. I found a lot of tasks that I must tackle on since I competed with him at Colorado. I think I should be practicing with minimum mistakes in order to skate without mistakes in competitions so I want to train like that this season and if I can go to JGPF, I want to do well so that he'll think "he's not half bad (or it's something like that in Japanese)."

Is your main focus on Nathan Chen?
Yes, but there are other good skaters too. The top junior men all have at least 1 type of a quad so it's not just Nathan I'm conscious of. But I think if I can perform without mistakes, I can compete with Nathan for 1st or 2nd place. If I can get closer to Nathan, my level will go up and if I can go to JGPF, I think I can close the gap of 30 points (from JGP Colorado Springs) and hopefully go to a level where I could overtake him.

Is there a skater in Japan that you are conscious of?
Last season, I was focusing on catching up with Shoma Uno and my level did go up but since he turned senior, there's nobody in Japan that I'm really conscious of. My focus is mostly towards the world (outside Japan).

Your goal for the future would probably be the Olympic Games but would that be PyeongChang or Beijing?
I'd definitely like to go to PyeongChang Olympics. My goal is to participate for a start. It's not good just to "participate" but that would be my first priority. If I do go, I'd like to skate perfectly. My childhood dream was "to win a gold medal at the OG" so I want to work hard to win a gold medal one day.

Is there a memorable moment from the past Olympic Games that has left an impression on you?
I like Hanyu-kun's SP at Sochi where he got the WR very much. A lot of skaters at the Vancouver Olympics skated amazingly so I remember those as well.

Do you have a roadmap for yourself to go to the Olympics?
I want this to be my last season as a junior so I want to win JW before turning senior. All the skaters who have led Japan have won JW so if I don't win JW, I can't become a top level skater. If I can't win JW and end up remaining as a junior again next season, nobody will look at me and think, "This kid is good, I want him to go to the OG". Next season will be important for me to turn senior, sell my name and leave impressions on people so in order to do that, I definitely want to turn senior next season. After next season will be the OG season. There isn't much time left so I don't want to be in a position to be chasing, but to have good results from the 1st season. I have to be fighting with the quad as a weapon so I want to work hard.

-----------
Funny how I don't remember reading Part 1 of this interview but vaguely remember parts of Part 2 because he mentioned Nathan so many times.
I was kind of cringing as I was translating the last part (and I hope it makes him cringe now too). He's so hard on himself. Well, I hope he's relaxed a little during this time off the ice. And I was also surprised that it's not just Shoma who practices 7 days a week. I wonder if all of Coach Nagakubo's students train 7 days a week. His coaching style seems a little old fashioned…? I remember Rika saying that she'd like to go to Disnelyland(?) if she could get a whole day off. I wish they weren't so hard on themselves.

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
thanks! mikaboo! this interview has a lot to read!:clapper:

i didnt know he was not good at spins since he gets points with spins now.
further, he seems to have learned so much from miyamoto sensei. and that hairstle was his instrucion.:biggrin:

Last edited:

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Turning senior did wonders for Rika as well last season. If Sota and his team thinks he's ready, then I fully support their decision :yes:

About the face touching, I hope Sota doesn't stick with Kenji just to avoid that:biggrin: I'm kidding of course, he can work with whoever he wants.

---------
Does anybody have information regarding Sota's programs for the seasons below? I'm helping to update his OP but can't find these info. anywhere.
2011-2012
SP music; choreographer
FS music; choreographer

2012-2013
SP music; choreographer
FS Soundtracks from "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" by Randy Edelman; choreographer

He might have used the same music for 2 seasons but I don't know. This was before he moved to Nagoya so someone who works at Rinkai Skating Club might have been the choreographer.

Btw, this was his SP costume at the Asian Trophy 2012. Baby Sota was so cute!
1 2 3 4
Source

Aww Sota baby is so adorableeeeee.....he should wear something like that. Not go the yuzu way and become blue lettuce. :biggrin:

Sorry i have no information on his other programs.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Oh the hairstyle...him learning to slick his hair back is so funny 😂
It's funny that he wasn't good at spins theb cause i really like his spins. They're usually fast and cool (atleast way better than someother junior guys erh hem)
Its so cool that he was a sweeper back in 2009 thay would be so cute.

mikaboo

Medalist
Part 2 translation is done!

thanks! mikaboo! this interview has a lot to read!:clapper:

i didnt know he was not good at spins since he gets points with spins now.
further, he seems to have learned so much from miyamoto sensei. and that hairstle was his instrucion.:biggrin:

I heard before that Miyamoto sensei gives instructions on hairstyles of skaters (people were grateful to him for Kozuka's hairstyle during 2014-2015 season) so I suspected it was him :biggrin:

Aww Sota baby is so adorableeeeee.....he should wear something like that. Not go the yuzu way and become blue lettuce. :biggrin:

Sorry i have no information on his other programs.

I'm curious what music he skated to with that costume.
I guess he must become more famous for information from his novice days to come out into the open.

Oh the hairstyle...him learning to slick his hair back is so funny 😂
It's funny that he wasn't good at spins theb cause i really like his spins. They're usually fast and cool (atleast way better than someother junior guys erh hem)
Its so cool that he was a sweeper back in 2009 thay would be so cute.

I've seen a gif set of Sota as a sweeper before but couldn't find it now. You can catch him for a second in this video of Yuzuru at Nationals in 2009 though. He's wearing a black and white striped top and a grey jacket at the side of the rink at around 1:30.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the translations, mikaboo. Good luck to Sota next season, in the interview he comes across as such a nice, level-headed guy. And diligent too - training 7 days a week, and getting like, what, 5 hours of sleep? Eek, he has my admiration for such a degree of dedication. o_O

hamaguri

Record Breaker
-----------
Funny how I don't remember reading Part 1 of this interview but vaguely remember parts of Part 2 because he mentioned Nathan so many times.
I was kind of cringing as I was translating the last part (and I hope it makes him cringe now too). He's so hard on himself. Well, I hope he's relaxed a little during this time off the ice. And I was also surprised that it's not just Shoma who practices 7 days a week. I wonder if all of Coach Nagakubo's students train 7 days a week. His coaching style seems a little old fashioned…? I remember Rika saying that she'd like to go to Disnelyland(?) if she could get a whole day off. I wish they weren't so hard on themselves.

Thanks mikaboo for all the translation jobs! Together with yuzu’s translation, you did a considerable amount of works in a day or two! (I was surprised to see your post around AM3:00!):hap85:

BTW, about Nagakubo’s training style, I remember I had the same concern to read Sota’s another article. Sota kept hard training mainly with his guts, and that way seemed to have a risk of stunting his growth and causing any injury. Now the area of sports science is sharply developing and if his ways has any possible programs, I hope he will improve it.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the translations, mikaboo. Good luck to Sota next season, in the interview he comes across as such a nice, level-headed guy. And diligent too - training 7 days a week, and getting like, what, 5 hours of sleep? Eek, he has my admiration for such a degree of dedication. o_O

These guys (Sota, Shoma, and probably others) worry me that they train SO much. They are really hard working. They need to listen to Uncle Dai and do 6 days with 1 rest day.

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
I thought Shoma trained 7 days a week because his coaches are unable to control him when they're not watching but it seems like Sota trains 7 days a week because that's the schedule at his skating club. I don't know though, maybe it depends on their age but it does seem a bit crazy.

Thanks mikaboo for all the translation jobs! Together with yuzu’s translation, you did a considerable amount of works in a day or two! (I was surprised to see your post around AM3:00!):hap85:

I have trouble sleeping so I'm often still up around that time anyway but it was a wrong decision to do Yuzuru's interview translation that late because my brain got overworked and I couldn't sleep until the sun was out!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Shoma trained 7 days a week because his coaches are unable to control him when they're not watching but it seems like Sota trains 7 days a week because that's the schedule at his skating club. I don't know though, maybe it depends on their age but it does seem a bit crazy.

I have trouble sleeping so I'm often still up around that time anyway but it was a wrong decision to do Yuzuru's interview translation that late because my brain got overworked and I couldn't sleep until the sun was out!

Just hope all the over-training doesn't lead to injuries...Uh oh, sounds like your mind is in skating overload! :hap93: Too many times I watch skating on You Tube before I go to bed and then can't get the music out of my head or am trying to think of what music would be good for that skater for next year. There must be a name for this "illness". ;)

mikaboo

Medalist
Just hope all the over-training doesn't lead to injuries...Uh oh, sounds like your mind is in skating overload! :hap93: Too many times I watch skating on You Tube before I go to bed and then can't get the music out of my head or am trying to think of what music would be good for that skater for next year. There must be a name for this "illness". ;)

I hope there is a cure for this illness too :dbana:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I hope there is a cure for this illness too :dbana:

No known cure yet. :bang: I think the illness is figure skating fan-itis!

:laugh:

Are you all right? I’m a bit worried about your sleeping problem. I hope you can solve it (BTW, personally, I love to translate yuzu’s words. He’s so bright and his statements are coherent and theoretical. Interpreting his words into English is kind of fun work to me. It sounds like you feel the same. Anyway, please take care of yourself!) .

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
No known cure yet. :bang: I think the illness is figure skating fan-itis!

Do I need to get something pulled out? :hpull:

:laugh:

Are you all right? I’m a bit worried about your sleeping problem. I hope you can solve it (BTW, personally, I love to translate yuzu’s words. He’s so bright and his statements are coherent and theoretical. Interpreting his words into English is kind of fun work to me. It sounds like you feel the same. Anyway, please take care of yourself!) .

:thank: for your concern. I think I'll be okay for now but if it doesn't get better, I'll see a doctor.
That particular translation I did was hard but I usually only do ones that are fun or easy to do :biggrin: