Sota Yamamoto | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

giulia95

Medalist
Skating skill improves with practice. The way I see it is that a person is gifted in skating skill if his skating skill improves with very little practice. If someone's skating skill is good because he practices a lot since young, I think that's quite normal. If Yuzuru is not exceptionally gifted in skating skill, he won't improve significantly in such short time. Even when he was young, he had the natural flow on ice that most boys his age didn't have. My opinion is probably unpopular. But I do think Yuzuru is the most gifted skater in skating skill (more than Patrick) because his skating skill improves more quickly with much less practice. (Patrick spent much more time on skating skill since he was young.)

:agree:

SuzyQ

Medalist
Thank you for the links, Maria Victoria.

I remember Machiko sensei's remarks you referred (this is Chubu regional competition, not Nagoya Figure Skating Festival though), but I also remember her another comment (maybe around the same time) highly evaluating Sota's skating skills comparing with Yuzuru's. So, I thought, in her, Sota is talented especially in skating skills. Sorry, I could not find the exact video. I'll post again if I find it.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Really wonder how Sota would have done in this Junior Worlds :think:
With a lot of splats in the free skate he probably could have done well, although he could splat terribly too...

IMO, I think he would have placed maybe top 5 in the short program since everyone was fabulous there. And then in the free skate, if he falls on a quad or triple axel, which he is likely to when he tries two quads or two 3A. So...if he maybe landed one quad and one triple axel, and fell once, he probably could have made the podium. The judges don't seem to struck on PCS at this comp so he'd have had a good chance. Maybe even win :confused2: After all, his PB for the total is only four points short of Daniels total score today...

but of course, this is all speculation. Who knows how well he could've done :sad21: too bad we'll never know.

With everyone in this competition moving up in the world rankings, he might not get a grand prix assignment unless he's a host pick for NHK which he might not be since, JSF didn't pick Shoma this GP season. :dbana:

Sam L

Medalist
The men's field in the USA was not deep back then. (If Jason could make the Olympics team without a quad, it just shows that American men overall were pretty weak.) Even then Jason did need some luck to make the team. (He became a star due to his performance gone viral. This doesn't happen to anyone.) The men's field in Japan is deeper. Staying junior won't help Sota make the Olympics team. He already has enough (2 season) junior results. He doesn't need any more junior medals. (A junior world title would be the only title lacking. But a junior world title is not a must have either.) What he needs is senior medal and more exposure at the senior level. Even with his jump struggle, Nam is better off staying senior than junior. Right now neither Sota's 3A or 4T is consistent. If either of his 3A or 4t becomes consistent, he will get better results. Sota is the future of Japanese men's skating. I assume JSF wants Sota to have some experience at the 2018 Olympics, so he has a better chance to win the 2022 Olympics.

IMO, Yuzuru is definitely more talented than Sota. I don't think there is anyone that is more talented than Yuzu. Yuzu had everything at that age. People tend to think Yuzu is not strong in stamina, but Yuzu didn't lack stamina for his age (even when he was young). He only lacks stamina when he is trying to execute very difficult programs that nobody dares to try. The junior boys today all have talents, but none of them is as all-rounded as Yuzu at the same age.

I think Sota's main rival is Nathan. It's a bit unfortunate both of them got injured and ended their season early. I think Nathan-Sota rival is similar to Shoma-Boyang rival. They are the same age and both will turn senior at the same time. (They even share the same fate. :palmf:)

I'm looking forward to the Sota-Nathan rivalry. I love both.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
I'm looking forward to the Sota-Nathan rivalry. I love both.

I believe the Hanyu-Chan rivalry is somewhat similar to that. Except now it's chEn not chAn hahaa...that's just me being lame but hahaha.

But seriously, Yamamoto-Chen rivalry is so interesting. I'm biased towards Sota but I think Nathan's great too....and...they both got injured this year...coincidence? I think not ! Skating God didn't want either of them to win so they'd get a fair first senior season next year both without the junior world title, so neither would feel superior or inferior to the other ahaha :)

But what a major set back for their break through to seniors next season... we shall see..may the North America vs. Japan rivalry continue after Yuzuru and Patrick retire.

Btw, any news on his ankle fracture? Is he getting surgery? And physical therapy? I read on Mitsuki's twitter that he's goikg to be under partial anesthesia so I'm assuming he's getting surgery? Or no?

gsyzf

Medalist
I believe the Hanyu-Chan rivalry is somewhat similar to that. Except now it's chEn not chAn hahaa...that's just me being lame but hahaha.

But seriously, Yamamoto-Chen rivalry is so interesting. I'm biased towards Sota but I think Nathan's great too....and...they both got injured this year...coincidence? I think not ! Skating God didn't want either of them to win so they'd get a fair first senior season next year both without the junior world title, so neither would feel superior or inferior to the other ahaha :)

But what a major set back for their break through to seniors next season... we shall see..may the North America vs. Japan rivalry continue after Yuzuru and Patrick retire.

As for Hanyu-Chan rivalry, Yuzuzu is superior than Patrick because he is technically much superior. But for Yamamoto-Chen rivalry, right now Nathan is superior than Sota because Nathan is more consistent. Nathan is the most reliable male junior skater (except his health doesn't seem very reliable :( ).

Can Sota get any GP next season? It would be strange that this season's JGPF medalist and the gold medalist of youth Olympics doesn't even get 1 GP next season. I hope he gets the host pick at NHK.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
As for Hanyu-Chan rivalry, Yuzuzu is superior than Patrick because he is technically much superior. But for Yamamoto-Chen rivalry, right now Nathan is superior than Sota because Nathan is more consistent. Nathan is the most reliable male junior skater (except his health doesn't seem very reliable :( ).

Can Sota get any GP next season? It would be strange that this season's JGPF medalist and the gold medalist of youth Olympics doesn't even get 1 GP next season. I hope he gets the host pick at NHK.

I don't think his world standings is high enough to get GP assignments cause he didn't get any ranking point cause he missed Junior Worlds. He might get 1 and maybe the host pick. But Shoma didn't get a host pick this season. Is it cause he was high enough in the world standings to get 2 and JSF didn't need to 'give' him another one?

And you're right about Nathan. He is more consistent but i wouldn't say Sota is completely inconsistent. Maybe due to his growth spurt which I'm hoping will stop by next season....*stays hopeful*

gsyzf

Medalist
I don't think his world standings is high enough to get GP assignments cause he didn't get any ranking point cause he missed Junior Worlds. He might get 1 and maybe the host pick. But Shoma didn't get a host pick this season. Is it cause he was high enough in the world standings to get 2 and JSF didn't need to 'give' him another one?

And you're right about Nathan. He is more consistent but i wouldn't say Sota is completely inconsistent. Maybe due to his growth spurt which I'm hoping will stop by next season....*stays hopeful*

I don't think there is any male skater junior or senior that is really consistent. Their consistency is relative. Right now, Nathan is more consistent than Sota. But I think Sota is a bit more consistent than other boys his age (except Nathan). At least he tries to not let early mistakes to impact the rest of his programs too much.

I think Shoma got two GP invitations from other feds, so JSF didn't need to give him a host pick.

According to this, 2.2 (d) and (e) (this is from last season)
http://static.isu.org/media/209550/gp-general-announcement-2015_16_final.pdf

"Skaters/Couples with an ISU World Standing placement of 1 –24 (after season 2014 /15) and Skaters/Couples with seasonal best scores in the top 24 (for season 2014 /15) who do not hold an ISU World Standing placement of 1 – 24 will be guaranteed one (1) event."

"Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2015 and the gold medallists from the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2014 /15 will be included in the selection process. "

I don't think Sota satisfies either criteria because he didn't compete at JWC. Here is the seasonal best list and world standing.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmto.htm
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm

I think he might get 1 GP if there are any spots left and one of the 6 feds invites him.

Last edited:

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Any news on his injury? It's been like 5 weeks, can he walk? Much less skate? So worried for him....

Dont think he'll be participating in ice shows then? I'll be so sad if we don't get to see him in the off season

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Any news on his injury? It's been like 5 weeks, can he walk? Much less skate? So worried for him....

Dont think he'll be participating in ice shows then? I'll be so sad if we don't get to see him in the off season

I have the same concern.. Is there any information about summer shows?

mikaboo

Medalist
Happy to see Sota again after 2 months of silence :hap85:
Well, he's still silent on his own twitter, but at least his face looks healthy here.
https://twitter.com/lovekeaton0831/status/723889738428477440
https://twitter.com/lovekeaton0831/status/723887000873373696

I hope his rehab is going well and that we'll see him during the off-season, even if he can't jump yet.

Check out @brogan_holister's Tweet: https://twitter.com/brogan_holister/status/722956154117214208?s=09
Check out @brogan_holister's Tweet: https://twitter.com/brogan_holister/status/722956154117214208?s=09

Saw this on Twitter, Sota becoming a blue Lettuce?
Green lettuce vs blue lettuce :)
#costumeissues

I found this a while ago :)
Blue Lettuces
I think Misha's SP costume should be added here too.

Skye

On the Ice
Wow he looks all grown up! Hope he comes back on the ice stronger than ever.

mikaboo

Medalist
This person's friend asked Akiko how Sota is doing.
She said that he is still not in a condition to skate and is at a point of starting rehab soon.

Good luck Sota and come back strong! (but please don't rush)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This person's friend asked Akiko how Sota is doing.
She said that he is still not in a condition to skate and is at a point of starting rehab soon.

Good luck Sota and come back strong! (but please don't rush)

Darn - this was such a tough break for Sota. Echoing your hope that he doesn't rush back.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
With all this talk of new programs and choreographers...I wonder if Sota wiol go to Kenji Miyamoto again for next season's choreography?? Still hoping for a great recovery for him but I personally would love to see him work with Stephan Lambiel again 😍 and try some foreign choreographers for a different style, not that Kenji's choreography isn't nice or doesn't suite him cause indeed it is nice, but would love to see more versatility and see him explore more different choreography...nonetheless very excited to see him again whether he turns senior or stays junior

mikaboo

Medalist
With all this talk of new programs and choreographers...I wonder if Sota wiol go to Kenji Miyamoto again for next season's choreography?? Still hoping for a great recovery for him but I personally would love to see him work with Stephan Lambiel again 😍 and try some foreign choreographers for a different style, not that Kenji's choreography isn't nice or doesn't suite him cause indeed it is nice, but would love to see more versatility and see him explore more different choreography...nonetheless very excited to see him again whether he turns senior or stays junior

Your post got me thinking about something I read last week. Akiko Suzuki told a fan at PIW that she'll be doing choreography for a male skater this season. She didn't reveal the name but all of Coach Nagakubo's top female skaters got their SP done by Akiko last season and had some success with them. Maybe the male skater is Sota? Sota might not have enough time to work on his programs as much as he likes so it would be ideal that his choreographer is at his home rink often to guide him. Anyway, it's just something that popped up in my mind so don't take me seriously.
I was also thinking before that he might keep at least one of his programs because I don't feel that he nailed them completely until the end. I'm not sure if Kenji's style suits Sota though :scratch2:
I'd like to see something different from him too. Something comical? I can see him with an embarrassed smile throughout the program already :laugh: Or something like his exhibition program he's had for 2 seasons. I think the music really brings out Sota's good qualities. I don't know who choreographed it- maybe Rika's mom.
Regarding Stephane, I'd love it if he was brought back to teach at the training camp this year too :luv17:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Thanks mikaboo! He must be frustrated at being late for the preparation of the new season.. Take your enough time to recover, Sota! You are young.

With all this talk of new programs and choreographers...I wonder if Sota wiol go to Kenji Miyamoto again for next season's choreography?? Still hoping for a great recovery for him but I personally would love to see him work with Stephan Lambiel again and try some foreign choreographers for a different style, not that Kenji's choreography isn't nice or doesn't suite him cause indeed it is nice, but would love to see more versatility and see him explore more different choreography...nonetheless very excited to see him again whether he turns senior or stays junior

I’m sure he’ll turn senior, although I don’t see if he can get 2 spots of GPS. Of course, turning senior with Junior title was his wish, but like Wakaba, it’s the best time considering 2018.

I agree that he should challenge any other choreographers. Stephane is one of the choreographers who can have great influence on him. He’s been invited to the training camps in Japan, and given instructions to him.
BTW, how about David Wilson? If their feelings match, it feels like something wonderful will be created.

Your post got me thinking about something I read last week. Akiko Suzuki told a fan at PIW that she'll be doing choreography for a male skater this season. She didn't reveal the name but all of Coach Nagakubo's top female skaters got their SP done by Akiko last season and had some success with them. Maybe the male skater is Sota? Sota might not have enough time to work on his programs as much as he likes so it would be ideal that his choreographer is at his home rink often to guide him. Anyway, it's just something that popped up in my mind so don't take me seriously.
I was also thinking before that he might keep at least one of his programs because I don't feel that he nailed them completely until the end. I'm not sure if Kenji's style suits Sota though :scratch2:
I'd like to see something different from him too. Something comical? I can see him with an embarrassed smile throughout the program already :laugh: Or something like his exhibition program he's had for 2 seasons. I think the music really brings out Sota's good qualities. I don't know who choreographed it- maybe Rika's mom.
Regarding Stephane, I'd love it if he was brought back to teach at the training camp this year too :luv17:

Yeah, I cant say last year’s programs grew on me..

If he works with Akiko.. Fuuun. In a positive or negative way, her coreo makes me imagine herself. I find Rika’s programs are nice, but they are very Akiko and easily imagine Akiko skating them with more artistry. It’s dissatisfying to me…

Comical??? Sota feels the type of yuzu. I’d never thought up comical from sota. But he did once! if he challenges it, it’s good.

Last edited: