Next in line: Shoma Uno | Golden Skate

Next in line: Shoma Uno

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma Uno, the fifth Men’s World Junior Champion from Japan, will debut as a senior on the international level next season. [More]

"In juniors, the expression is less strong than at the senior level," he noted. "I think I need to work most on my artistic side. It is also important to get more consistency in my jumps. Overall, I have to work on both the artistic and the technical part, but improving the artistry is the most important."

What music/programs do you think would help him to show more artistry in the future?

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Tbh, seeing him live at Junior Worlds left me a bit unipressed. His flow, SS were amazing, but most of the jumps were tiny...

Flaya

Match Penalty
Maybe if he was sent to Worlds this season, Japan would still have 3 spots ;)

Almost certain!

Having said that, it would be shocking if Hanyu and Umo do not get these two spots for Worlds next year. Mura, Kozuka and others are really in a bad position now.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I also think that, unless one of the older guys has a spectacular comeback and Uno bombs his season, those spots will be for him and Hanyu. Though Nats will still be a bloodbath for those spots, I think Shoma is getting to a level where he is above the current field of Japanese men (sans Yuzuru). Japanese figure skating suffered a lot in the men's field his year with Takahashi gone, Machida retiring, Hanyu having health issues all season and Mura and Kozuka doing so badly at Worlds. They need another skater to bring their great level back, and Shoma seems like the ideal choice. Maybe JSF didn't send him because they wanted him to focus solely on Jr Worlds and didn't expect the seniors to struggle so much? Or maybe they just want him to follow Takahashi's steps, what do I know.
I think he has the potential to do very well, I find him a bit less juniorish than, say Nam (except for the jumps), and he did very well at Worlds. I think they have every chance of getting the 3 spots back with Shoma there, podium is highly unlikely but he can certainly finish in the top 10 (amazing for a Worlds debut). He's been on a few senior competitions before so by the time Worlds come, his PCS will hopefully not suffer as much. It's only a matter of handling the pressure and improving the jumps. He succumbed a bit to the pressure at 4CC (and maybe even Jr Worlds), but he can go to challenger events and the GP events to get used to the senior environment. I suck at picking music so I don't know what could be useful for him

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Almost certain!

Having said that, it would be shocking if Hanyu and Umo do not get these two spots for Worlds next year. Mura, Kozuka and others are really in a bad position now.

Yeah, as someone said before, I think Yuzu could bomb and he'd still get the most support. It's clear Uno is the next successor (unfortunately for Taka-chan, whom I absolutely love, I think he's done :no:).

Rissa

Record Breaker
It's not only Yuzuru who's been struggling with health issues... All four of them were (Hanyu, Mura, Kozuka, Uno) so it's hard to judge their future form. Kozuka might not be coming back at all since apparently he's been in need of a surgery for 2 seasons now. If he postpones it again, he probably won't be a match for Shoma, if he goes for it, he may need to sit the season out and might subsequently retire from competition. Mura however, despite his inconstency, might become a contender once he gets those ankles healed. And we don't really know how consistent Shoma will be at his senior competitions. So I think both Shoma and Mura have a good chance to get that remaining Worlds spot (assuming Hanyu takes one).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I guess at Japan Nationals it will be hard battle but for 1 spot. 1st is surely already locked for Hanyu and rightly so. 2nd is likely to go to Shoma unless other japanese skater will be in form of his life ;)

Rissa

Record Breaker
I guess at Japan Nationals it will be hard battle but for 1 spot. 1st is surely already locked for Hanyu and rightly so. 2nd is likely to go to Shoma unless other japanese skater will be in form of his life ;)

Don't jinx it, we don't want another freak accident/illness to happen! :slink:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Uno already debuted as a senior at 4CC, not next season. I doubt he could've salvaged the wreck at Worlds given his meltdowns at 4CC and Jr. Worlds. He seems prone to get very nervous under the immense pressure and Uno's scores in the two competitions were a bit of controversy. Besides, the time gap between Jr. Worlds and Worlds would not be enough for Shoma to get ready in a proper form. Given Hanyu's health and Mura's sprained ankles on both feet along with inconsistent Kozuka, the federation should've sent Dice Murakami over Mura because he showed more a stable consistency than Mura and Shoma during the season. Dice is underestimated in Japan even after his victory at NHK trophy and 4th at 4CC.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Uno already debuted as a senior at 4CC, not next season. I doubt he could've salvaged the wreck at Worlds given his meltdowns at 4CC and Jr. Worlds. He seems prone to get very nervous under the immense pressure and Uno's scores in the two competitions were a bit of controversy. Besides, the time gap between Jr. Worlds and Worlds would not be enough for Shoma to get ready in a proper form. Given Hanyu's health and Mura's sprained ankles on both feet along with inconsistent Kozuka, the federation should've sent Dice Murakami over Mura because he showed more a stable consistency than Mura and Shoma during the season. Dice is underestimated in Japan even after his victory at NHK trophy and 4th at 4CC.

This is simply not the case. He would have easily salvaged the three spots for Japan with his skate from Junior Worlds, actually he would have placed 7th at Senior Worlds and Japan only needed Kozuka to finish one position higher to maintain these three spots. ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
This is simply not the case. He would have easily salvaged the three spots for Japan with his skate from Junior Worlds, actually he would have placed 7th at Senior Worlds and Japan only needed Kozuka to finish one position higher to maintain these three spots. ;)

I disagree. Uno could've completely bombed at Worlds given his showings in both free segments at 4CC and Jr. Worlds because the place is the most fierce and intimidating competition for skaters except Olympics.

NMURA

Medalist
I think Mura had undue pressure for obtaining three spots because Kozuka is totally unreliable. If Uno was there, Mura could have done a little better with less pressure. So Uno's presence was helpful anyway.

The JSF was confident about the three spots with Hanyu and Machida. I suspect Kozuka was given a spot as the compensation of being "used" as a tool to displace Oda out of the podium last year. Also they wanted to give Nobuo Sato the last chance of a trip to worlds (without Mao and no one to follow, it's more than obvious). This is what we call a retirement (or graduation) trip in Japan. He was not a factor in the first place.

Since they have only two spots now, the JSF will change the criteria in order to guarantee Uno's place. If Uno becomes the 2nd place at nationals, it's done. In the case of 3rd place, they will postpone the "decision" until 4CC.

Last edited:

Flaya

Match Penalty
I disagree. Uno could've completely bombed at Worlds given his showings in both free segments at 4CC and Jr. Worlds because the place is the most fierce and intimidating competition for skaters except Olympics.

These are simply speculations. Based on his score from Juniors, he would have been 7th easily keeping Japan in with three spots.

We are not here to analyze the woulda, coulda, shoulda but simply look at the final results. ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think Mura had undue pressure for obtaining three spots because Kozuka is totally unreliable. If Uno was there, Mura could have done a little better with less pressure. So Uno's presence was helpful anyway.

Since they have only two spots now, the JSF will change the criteria in order to guarantee Uno's place. If Uno becomes the 2nd place at nationals, it's done. In the case of 3rd place, they will postpone the "decision" until 4CC.
Mura is a good competitor with quads when he is on, but he was injured. I don't see how injured Mura would have felt comfortable and done better at Worlds just because of Uno's presence. None would expect Voronov to bomb at Worlds since he had been very consistent during this season. However Voronov unluckily got injured at that time, so couldn't perform decently at all.

However, I could agree with your opinion that the JSF would bend their rule regarding who would be sent to the next Worlds.

These are simply speculations. Based on his score from Juniors, he would have been 7th easily keeping Japan in with three spots.
We are not here to analyze the woulda, coulda, shoulda but simply look at the final results. ;)
Skaters are not machine but get affected by various factors. Just simply by doing math, Mura could've easily placed in top 6 given his seasonal best score from Skate Canada and easily kept the spot for Japan. :laugh:

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
Mura is a good competitor with quads when he is on, but he was injured. I don't see how Mura would do better at Worlds just because of Uno's presence. None would expect Voronov to bomb at Worlds since he had been very consistent during this season. However he unluckily got injured at that time, so couldn't perform decently at all.

Mura's FS was "decent" with a beautiful quad. I'm pretty sure Mura's biggest problem is a mental one. Past records show that he skates well only when he has little or no pressure. They can send him only as the #3.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Skaters are not machine but get affected by various factors. Just simply by doing math, Mura could've easily placed in top 6 given his seasonal best score from Skate Canada and easily kept the spot for Japan. :laugh:

Unlike you, I am not assuming that Shoma would have been negatively affected. Assuming this or that based on a limited amount of knowledge/watching a skater is hardly relevant. Your argument about Mura and Skate Canada does not work either, because there is not much pressure/minimal pressure at an event such as SC, except for Canadian skaters.

What I prefer to look at are the scores from Juniors and 4 Continents: 232.54 and 256.45 that would have given Shoma a great result at Senior Worlds. The facts speak for themselves. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Unlike you, I am not assuming that Shoma would have been negatively affected. Assuming this or that based on a limited amount of knowledge/watching a skater is hardly relevant. Your argument about Mura and Skate Canada does not work either, because there is not much pressure/minimal pressure at an event such as SC, except for Canadian skaters.

What I prefer to look at are the scores from Juniors and 4 Continents: 232.54 and 256.45 that would have given Shoma a great result at Senior Worlds. The facts speak for themselves. ;)

Well Josh Farris got a 260+ at 4CC.....that would have had him place 4th. Han Yan got a 259+ at 4CC for 5th.

The only fact is that Shoma got those scores at those two events. Anything beyond on that is just speculation.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
@ Flaya, no need for you to get aggressive in order to defend Uno. :disapp: You "prefer to look at"..well.. that is how we're different. Besides, many skaters get nervous in competitions held in their home country (just thinking of Gracie at Skate America and NHK Trophy, Zijun and Han Yan at 4CC and Worlds), so your opinion on Canadian skaters at Skate Canada does not really sound convincing.

The fact speaks for themselves; sure. Uno was not sent to Worlds and none could expect Japan to lose their one spot with the team when the Worlds started. What is done is done but I would rather suppose that Mura didn't over-practice, so his foot were okay at Worlds, which was a more practical scenario. Given Mura's injury and the short time gap between Jr. Worlds and Worlds, I said Dice could've been a more reliable skater.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Great article. :yay: I'm not Shoma's fan, but the image of mini-Shoma chasing after Mao is just too sweet. :)

Look, I'm not sold on Shoma myself (and the premature crowning of him can be grating), but it's rather unfair to characterize his performances at 4CC and Jr. Worlds as "meltdowns." And unfair to characterize Shoma himself as prone to faltering under pressure. Yes, he made mistakes at 4CC and Jr. Worlds, but the performances as a whole were okay.

Shoma's actually quite consistent by the standards of the current men's field. Can you think of anyone else who a) has both quad and 3A b) and is more consistent than him? I can think of Nam, and that's it.

Who knows how Shoma would've done at senior Worlds, but to be honest, he'd have to try pretty hard to do worse than what Kozuka/Mura showed up with. (I like them both--more than I like Shoma--but those SPs were worthy of the moniker "meltdown," more than anything Shoma did this year). Not saying Shoma should've been selected for Worlds, necessarily, since it was a long season for the juniors and he's probably exhausted. But it's reasonable to think Shoma would've kept the spots, since Kozuka was only one place off, even though he skated worse than Shoma's done all year.

Maybe Murakami would've been a better choice than Kozuka (who can't rotate jumps anymore) or Mura (when Mura's injured), but he's also quite inconsistent, in addition to having lower scoring potential due to the planned 4S-2T (does the guy seriously not know how to do a triple lutz-triple toe??)