Creating the program: series re Castelli/Tran creative process 2015 | Golden Skate

Creating the program: series re Castelli/Tran creative process 2015

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Creating the program: Castelli, Tran choose music
U.S. pair starts process by traveling to Montreal to meet with Marcotte

Posted 4/21/15
by Sarah S. Brannen, special to icenetwork

This article is the first in a series that will follow U.S. pairs team Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran as they create their competitive programs for the 2015-16 season. ...

In this series, we'll go inside a program, from the first moments of its creation to the first time it's performed in public, and on into the fall skating season. ...

Part 1 - Music ...

Next in Part 2: Working with the choreographer

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/04/21/119574494

ETA:

Second installment of the series:
Creating the program: Free skate choreography
U.S. pair buckles down for four days with Marcotte to bring routine to life

Posted 5/7/15
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/05/07/122988712

[Next up: Castelli and Tran add elements to the program.]​

Third installment:

Creating the program: Putting in the elements
Castelli, Tran start to run through sections in front of watchful coaches

Accompanied by 2:16 video of their training (viewable without an IN paid subscription):

Fourth installment:
Creating the program: Skating full run-throughs
Castelli, Tran battle physically demanding free ahead of Skate Detroit

Posted 7/20/15
by Sarah. S Brannen
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/07/20/137532910

Last edited:

jwren

Rinkside
Oh this is cool! Have they done this sort of series before? I'm excited to see their creative process!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is a very interesting series! I particularly like that they are following choreographer Julie Marcotte, because I so like her work.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wonderful idea! We usually just get to see the finished product it will be very interesting to
be part of the entire process of what goes into a program. Cool!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Second installment of the series:

Creating the program: Free skate choreography
U.S. pair buckles down for four days with Marcotte to bring routine to life

Posted 5/7/15
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/05/07/122988712

[Next up: Castelli and Tran add elements to the program.]

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is great to read how the program is coming together! I can't wait to see the finished product!

deedee1

Record Breaker
:love::love: Am enjoying read a great deal! Thanks a lot for sharing! :)
And very pleased to know and so happy for him that Mervin already gets some nice recognition in US. Can't wait to see this beautiful pair on GP circuit in the new season. :yes:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Creating the program: Putting in the elements
Castelli, Tran start to run through sections in front of watchful coaches

This is the third article in a series about the creation and development of Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran's new Journey free skate program.

Accompanied by 2:16 video of their training (viewable without an IN paid subscription):

BTW, the article says that they worked with Moskvina in Boston before she headed to the USFS pairs camp.​

[Personal aside: I'm tickled that the first GP of their partnership will be Skate Canada :).]

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Canadian Mervin is the higher rated of the team...and SC may have wanted them as part of his release agreement....and they train in Canada over 1/2 the time.

Lots of excuses for this choice.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, Canadian Mervin is the higher rated of the team...and SC may have wanted them as part of his release agreement....and they train in Canada over 1/2 the time.

Lots of excuses for this choice.

To clarify my comment above:

I was not trying to make any judgment or analysis re their assignment to Skate Canada International.

Just makes me happy that this memorable milestone for them will take place in Canada, even as they represent the U.S. Was simply noting a nice bridging-of-two-countries kind of thing.

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I was in Greensboro for Nationals this year and after a great Short Program and even a disastrous Free Skate that dropped them out of medal contention, I'm convinced that Castelli/Tran has more raw potential than any other U.S. team, even slightly more than Alexa and Chris. Even after just a few months together, they skated with ferocity, power, were well-synced, had good chemistry, and wonderful stage (ice?) presence.

After their Free Skate, I tweeted the following tweet that got featured on the big screen at the event:

"Melissa and mervin skate with attack!! and look perfectly paired. Can't wait to see them skate more together in the future! #NC2015"

And although they were disappointed after their skate, Mervin looked up at the screen, saw the tweet, and flashed a big smile. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The biggest disaster of their free skate was losing all credit for their pair spin.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Not sure why you have to say another team has more potential than a team that had 4 records at nationals 2015 then set more at Worlds and WTT for the USA only after three years together. Kind of amazing! Also C/T won't be able to represent at OLY if they stay together which is always a maybe in any team for the USA and thank goodness S/K have potential to stay together and both US citizens whew! It seems more than RUDE they have worked incredibly hard and deserve their just accolades as any one else. I think C/T have potential not sure if it is more than a 4Xtwist or all the records that S/K set this year or if they ever will given the limitations of citizenship but I am glad we have potential in teams. I think they need to work on connection, lifts Mervin has some issues with that and with how small Marisa is it is concerning that his Mohawks are so wobbly. I'm glad they seem happy that is huge but there are amazing teams out there and K/O are still much much stronger but have also been together longer. What will three more years from now bring? Guess we will find out.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is so odd to see Mervin switch countries like switching your brand of laundry soap. But I wish him well to see if he ever regains that world medal.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The oddest thing is that Mervin has trained in Montreal with Marcotte for all 3 countries/partners.
:laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It is so odd to see Mervin switch countries like switching your brand of laundry soap. But I wish him well to see if he ever regains that world medal.

Mervin's choice of a Canadian partner after his success with Narumi suggests to me that representing his home country was a profound desire of his.