Plantar fasciitis and boot soles | Golden Skate

Plantar fasciitis and boot soles

maryskates

Spectator
Hello everyone! I will get straight to the point I have been figure skating for quite some time now but a couple weeks ago I started getting some bad tight pain in the arches of my feet and after seeing a doctor I was told I had plantar fasciitis and I should rest.. now that the plantar fasciitis has just about gone away and the heel spurs have cleared up I was wondering what I should do to stop myself from getting it ever again. Could it be my technique? Or could it be down to my skates and what is in them? I have heard wearing some good supporting insoles can help but there are so many different types to choose from I am unsure of what ones would be best for figure skating? I have been looking on a few sites and many of the branded soles look no different to the cheaper unbranded ones? At the moment im thinking of buying some that are designed just for plantar fasciitis. What do you guys think? will some like those be okay for my skates or do I go for something a little bit more light weight and less bulky?

Thanks for your help.. if you have got any other advice for preventing plantar fasciitis please do share.

humbaba

Final Flight
Plantar fasciitis is very common. I've had it. So has my Mom and my neighbor. We all found that an ice pack helps with the pain. Also, we all recovered from the condition, although in different ways.

I found stretches and massage to be most helpful. There are lots of videos on YouTube demonstrating stretches and massage techniques for plantar fasciitis. Some people do stretch and massage on a regular schedule to prevent a recurrence. Also, there are many different massage tools you can use on the bottom of your foot. Some people like the rollers to run over the foot sole. I preferred the little plastic gadget shaped like a football covered with nubs. You roll it with your foot.

My mother finally got rid of plantar fasciitis when she started wearing orthotic inserts in her shoes. She had to experiment a bit before she found the right inserts for her. She likes the Orthaheel brand the best. My neighbor couldn't shake his problem until he got shots of anti-inflammatory meds directly into the foot. Neither my mother, nor my neighbor were diligent about doing the icing, foot stretches and massage. I was diligent and I got rid of the fasciitis sooner, didn't have to get injections and have not had a relapse. It's definitely worth it to try the more conservative treatments first.

Plantar fasciits can be very painful and people get it for different reasons. For older people, the fascia can just wear thin. Weight gain can trigger the problem as can impact or trauma from physical activities. Some people develop adhesions in the connective tissue of the bottom of the feet. You just have to keep at it until you find out what therapies work for you.

loopy

Final Flight
I found icing and stretching and losing some weight to work wonders. Only rarely do I have an issue now. For icing, I use a plastic water bottle that was frozen. The round shape was perfect. I do wear inserts and wear sneakers 3 times a week with them. I just bought OTC from the pharmacy. Thin flats do nothing good for me, better shoes help.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
PF is so painful. Had it a few years ago. My job at the time required standing on my feet much of the work day; I wore Dansko clogs with insoles my podiatrist gave me and was able to walk/work pain free most of the time. At home I used massage, ice packs. Disappeared fairly quickly with this and has never recurred but I continue wearing the clogs and massage as a preventive... The shoes provide great support - better than sneakers - for me at least... Good luck...

vlaurend

Final Flight
I also like the frozen water bottle, but for preventative measures, I've found that nothing beats really deep calf stretches (which also stretch the bottoms of the feet), especially right after skating. Massaging the arches of my feet on a tennis ball is fantastic, too. I carry one in my skate bag.

Last edited: