Vincent Zhou | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I am reading all these serious stuff, but of course what catches my eye is more talk about costuming. I feel shallow. :) I actually like white on him, it suits him.

LOL, lariko. There is nothing shallow about costume talk. It is an integral part of a complete and well laid out program. I would also love to see Vincent wear white for the "Cloud Atlas" program, in contrast to the black of the new SP. That would make a nice Ying Yang balance.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Coach Hamada

Continuing the Q&A from Figure Skating Life Vol. 18:

Q: This competition (WTT) was a great performance from you. How do you analyze yourself?

A: Practicing with Hamada-sensei is the biggest reason my skating has grown this much since Worlds. She is a really good coach and makes me feel good about skating. She loves skating and her feelings are communicated to others. It's also thanks to her that I enjoyed my stay in Japan. She makes me feel that skating and performing for everyone is fun.
In addition, I can readily understand her biomechanics and how to apply basic skating skills to jumps. So I quickly understood when I applied her teaching techniques. And that helped me a lot. I am very grateful to her.

Q: What kind of advice did you receive from Hamada-sensei before the performance?

A: She told me to smile. Show us how you love skating. Believe in yourself. Relax. Hold your shoulders tight.

What great advice! Vincent needs to be reminded of that since he is focusing so much on the quads and technical side of his skating.

Q: You said that Hamada-sensei really likes skating. When did you realize that?

A: She loves to teach purely. It's not for money. She also knows that I have financial difficulties. She did a lot of work for us. How to use Japanese transportation, food delivery, haircut bookings, interpreting at the hairdresser, etc. She helped outside of ice. She helped a lot. This is special and unbelievable. She is passionate about teaching and wants to help skaters. There should be more people like her in this world.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
LOL, lariko. There is nothing shallow about costume talk. It is an integral part of a complete and well laid out program. I would also love to see Vincent wear white for the "Cloud Atlas" program, in contrast to the black of the new SP. That would make a nice Ying Yang balance.

Maybe Vincent could get Ezio right one day with the signature Renaissance white (ahem... shallow).

Zenchio63

Final Flight

Zenchio63

Final Flight
A brief summary on what Vincent said about his new SP:

New SP "I Will Wait" by Mumford & Sons, choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne.
I'm very lucky to get a program from Shae-Lynn, who is very busy, for a good reason. I've pretty much only gotten positive feedback for it so far. It's a fun program that sure will get the crowd going. It's helping to bring me out of my shell a little. The perceptive hard part for me will change from time to time, but right now, what's hard for me is putting the jumps in, for 2 reasons.

One, it's a new program, new choreography. When you choreograph the program, it's not just doing quads. So sometimes it's hard to tell how many transitions are too much. If you have too many transitions, it's almost impossible to do a quad, too little transitions is not good for the component scores. We're trying to make adjustments to the choreography and find the right balance that will allow me to have a complete, connected, flowing program. But also allow me to execute good quality quads.

The second reason is due to the knee injury that occurred at SOI back in April, to his left leg. It's hindered his jumping a lot. DOI is the first/second week of doing 3A again. It'll be an uphill climb this season. After he goes back to Colorado Springs after Japan, Vincent only has a few days before leaving for Champs Camp (Irvine, CA). After that, he is off to Brown. Vincent: "It's pretty much just a rush. I believe I have the resilience to overcome the constant changing of locations and situations. I've adapted to things in the past and I have the drive to continue to do so."

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Summary of interview segment on FS program:

"Free Skate is to Cloud Atlas movie soundtrack, choreographed by Lori Nichol. This is my second season working with Lori. She is such a special choreographer & person. She is willing to save, sort to speak, the "best" programs for me. I don't want to say "the Best", but a better way to say that is she's willing to save the special programs in her heart and mind for me. We kind of have a connection. We work really well together. The program has lots of transitions. Pretty much transitions between almost every jump except for the hardest. And in the process of doing the program and learning it, we've had to adjust and take out a transition or two right now in order to get a jump done. As the season progresses I hope to grow stronger in my jumps and be able to do them out of transitions so hopefully by the end of the year, I'll be able to have a program that is truly woven like a tapestry. No telegraphing, pretty much every skater's dream program. Good things take time to happen. I know this program will take time to become amazing. It has lots of potential. The choreography is dynamic, exciting and beautiful. There's different tempos, there's dramatic moments & contrasting movement speeds. I'm excited to perform it."

yyyskate

Record Breaker
As always, very informative, revealing, honest and truthful interview. Cannot wait Vincent’s new programs debut and growth through out this season.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
DOI Special Edition Clips

From the Special Edition DOI, clips & Gifs courtesy of Beth_gifs:

Interview clip on "Slow Dancing in the Dark"
https://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1154984069513564160?s=20

GIF of Vincent doing his "nerdy" finger glasses backstage
https://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1155007495464730625?s=20

Group number:
https://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1155016449142005760?s=20

The ending extra part showing skaters going through hallway giving high fives, including Vincent doing his nerdy finger glasses
https://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1155001512956977155?s=20

Beth is kindly sharing the "I Will Wait" SP from her Google Drive
https://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1154991200992223232?s=20

Will need to rewatch the new SP several times. Shae-Lynn choreographed a very energetic program, with lots of potential. Vincent needs to listen to more upbeat music and practice dancing & moving his body to the faster tempo. Wishing him the best in developing the program as the season progresses.