Akiko Suzuki Speaks Up About Body Issues | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki Speaks Up About Body Issues

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I found this wonderful translation of an interview with Akiko Suzuki about her eating disorder and the need for awareness amongst coaches and young women skaters about their body issues.
http://ohlovesosweet.tumblr.com/post/132286077986/figure-skater-suzuki-akiko-speaks-up-note-all
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20151028-00010002-yomidr-hlth

Rather Candid and goes in to details.
Suzuki: Although there were not many people talking about it before, I don’t believe it’s an embarrassing topic to hide away from. If knowledge is not properly conveyed, once a female athlete retires, she may face difficult challenges in her future. I do not want that to happen. When you compete well into your 20s, you find yourself thinking about post-retirement and what’s important.

For male coaches in particular, it is likely difficult for them to fully comprehend the pain and burden of the ups and downs of menstruation. But, I want them to try to understand. That’s why I didn’t hold back when I wrote that blog post, and I received great responses for it.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I love Akiko so much. :love:

That was an interesting, thoughtful and necessary read. I hope that coaches and skaters can gain from what she writes and are willing to talk about issues that arise in their own careers.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Akiko is not only a beautiful skater but a beautiful person. It's very brave of her to share her story to help other young skaters.

Suze

Rinkside
Thank you for sharing! I was touched to learn how closely her coach now monitors young skaters after this experience with Akiko. I hope the shame of eating disorders diminishes and that skaters can find support from coaches and others when they find themselves in need of help.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Specs, thank you for the post! Although I did not know Akiko as a skater, she is brave and forthright. It is true that some female athletes train so intensely, they cease menstruating, and for young girls ... it can only be good that such things are brought into the light. This also should be required reading for anyone who calls a competitive skater "fat" or "chunky" or "stocky".:roll5:

One minor suggestion: I do not know who Akiko is, or about her struggles, and just happened onto this thread. If you changed the title to "Speaks out about body issues" or some other description, it might be better for people like me, who could be interested, but don't know enough about her to know what your title means.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Specs, thank you for the post! Although I did not know Akiko as a skater, she is brave and forthright. It is true that some female athletes train so intensely, they cease menstruating, and for young girls ... it can only be good that such things are brought into the light. This also should be required reading for anyone who calls a competitive skater "fat" or "chunky" or "stocky".:roll5:

One minor suggestion: I do not know who Akiko is, or about her struggles, and just happened onto this thread. If you changed the title to "Speaks out about body issues" or some other description, it might be better for people like me, who could be interested, but don't know enough about her to know what your title means.

Thanks for the suggestion and please take a moment to watch this program by Akiko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg The ending gives me chills and makes me cry no matter how many times I watch it.
It was her best program and her best dress, but she has many more!
She is now starting a career as a choreographer and has created Rika Hongo's SP which many people have enjoyed this season.

When she was young she was on track to be one of the rising stars of Japan figure skating but she had to quit skating for a few years to deal with her anorexia. Once she was healthy again she made a glorious come-back and performed some of the most beautiful programs and won a World Bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships at the age of 27. She won the Japan National Championships in 2013 and made the Olympic team. She retired after the Olympics.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Another skater I sorely miss because of her desire to make good grog rams! She's wise to speak up. Good for her. Sport needs honesty over many issues.

Barb

Record Breaker
I miss her too :cry:, and it is really interesting the topic about menstruation and male coaches dealing with that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the suggestion and please take a moment to watch this program by Akiko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg The ending gives me chills and makes me cry no matter how many times I watch it.
It was her best program and her best dress, but she has many more!
She is now starting a career as a choreographer and has created Rika Hongo's SP which many people have enjoyed this season.

When she was young she was on track to be one of the rising stars of Japan figure skating but she had to quit skating for a few years to deal with her anorexia. Once she was healthy again she made a glorious come-back and performed some of the most beautiful programs and won a World Bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships at the age of 27. She won the Japan National Championships in 2013 and made the Olympic team. She retired after the Olympics.

Thanks for the link and the explanation. A lovely skate; I enjoyed how she expressed each nuance so carefully. And *anyone* who uses feathers in a costume should be required to see her costume first, the best use I have seen!

Cheers again to Akiko for speaking out!:clap:

noskates

Record Breaker
Akiko was truly a class act in every sense of the word. I do miss her. And she always had beautiful dresses/

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think she brought out good points towards the end about the danger of fad diets and how they can harm the body.
Young teens are especially susceptible to quick ways of losing weight.
-When a coach tells a skater to lose a kg or a few pounds do they make sure the skater knows the correct way to do it?
-Does the coach check-up and make sure they are losing weight in the right way?
-Are there required seminars set up for coaches so that they can know how to monitor their students nutrition and health?
-And are there required seminars for skaters for the same thing? It's so important that they can live happy and productive lives after their sports careers are over.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Akiko was always one of the most underrated skaters IMO, she was so lovely to watch and my favourite late bloomer. Really glad she is talking openly and candidly about these issues. She could help out a lot of younger skaters and educate a lot of male coaches. There's a lot of pressure to look a certain way or to keep your weight down so you can jump better which leads to unhealthy habits. There needs to be more awareness about nutrition and mental health in this sport. Needs some sort of sensitivity training too.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have so much respect for Akiko Suzuki! I had the honor of watching her skate live this past summer during The ICE tour and she was absolutely captivating! It's definitely a different feeling than watching a her on a youtube video or a television screen. This interview was very refreshing and educational. Akiko sure knows what she's talking about! You don't hear about a lot of these topics (weight loss, menstruation, nutrition, dieting etc), so I really enjoyed her thoughts, especially since she can add some of her personal experiences as well. And she's absolutely right, it's very important for athletes to figure out a healthy way to go about dieting or losing weight. In addition to gaining self confidence in their body types! I really enjoyed what she said at the end:

Even if athletes don’t discuss it openly, I believe they’re thinking about their futures, having children, etc., on the inside. Being an athlete, a competitor, is not the only joy in life. I want them to know that there is also happiness waiting for them after their competitive days. So, isn’t it important for former competitors to speak about their experiences? Which is what I’m trying to accomplish. I’m want to be a resource for the younger athletes which is why I want to contribute in any way I can.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for posting this! I think she is very courageous to speak up about this issue, and that it is necessary that more skaters follow her example.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
What an interesting read! :clapper:
I admire Akiko Suzuki for many reasons other than her skating and her outstanding performance skills: how she bravely overcame her eating disorder, how - once she was healthy again - she was a late bloomer, getting her best results on her mid-20ies, and now the way she openly speaks up about topics that, unfortunately, are often considered shameful and get ignored. She's such a role model. I liked how she points out coaches and other adults' responsibilities towards teenager athletes.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
A whole new level of respect for Akiko for bringing up an important topic to daylight! She is such a wise woman. :bow: I'm sure this article may help many coaches, skaters or other athletes in the future.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for posting this Specs! I'm very grateful Akiko is speaking up about this. It takes a lot of courage, and she always uses her words so beautifully while not sugarcoating anything. She is clear and distinct in what she says and never seems to want sympathy for any hardships she had to face - she only wants others to understand to avoid those themselves. It takes a very special kind of person to be able to do that.

I hope this is going to be the step in the right direction it should be, and more ladies start speaking openly about those troubles (not to the media, but their coaches, family, friends...). It's only a shameful thing if we treat it as such.

Her smile during the spiral is everything. And the way her hand trembles a little after hitting the ending pose because she was so excited about her skate... not gonna lie, just coming from this amazing interview, watching this made me tear up too. (Usually, this skate just makes me happy and absolutely :love: )

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
So happy that Akiko has chosen to speak up about such a delicate subject. So many people struggle with body image issues and the related disorders, and for fans of figure skating, hearing this from such a great and positive skater must give them some strength.

Akiko has proven time and time again that she is not just a lovely skater but a lovely person. Thank you for sharing this interview!

Perdita

Final Flight
Kudos to Akiko! It is such an important topic in FS. It always concerns me when I see a super-thin young girl rising above since it instantly makes me think of what's waiting for her in few years...

I just wanted to point out here also that Akiko is doing a commentator at a news program in Japan this year and I'm super grateful to listen to her making intelligent and thoughtful comments on wide-range of topics from politics to culture. She is an amazing person on and off ice.

Alex D

Record Breaker
My respect for women in sports, has just grown even more.

Thanks for posting this very interesting article.