On Site Reports: Share experiences CoR 2015 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: Share experiences CoR 2015

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the reports. I thought Sergei & Mikhail really got shafted & I am glad that people who were there had the same feeling. :sad21:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks to all for the first hand reports. As someone who loved Ross's and Adam's skate as clearly superior to Sergey and Mikhail, quad or no quad, it is very interesting to see the reports "from the other side" from one who was there. Particularly since evidently other first-hand viewers walked away as new fans of Ross.

But whatever your viewpoint, :bow: to all!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thanks to all for the first hand reports. As someone who loved Ross's and Adam's skate as clearly superior to Sergey and Mikhail, quad or no quad, it is very interesting to see the reports "from the other side" from one who was there. Particularly since evidently other first-hand viewers walked away as new fans of Ross.

I like Adam. I've seen Ross live at SA and was the opposite of impressed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Sometimes the difference really is in your viewpoint.

I was at Worlds 2003 in Washington, DC. There were a lot of GS members there, and we met up after the men's event. Those that sat on the judges' side of the arena, were very pleased that Plushenko won over Goebel, despite that it was not Evgeni's best performance. Those who sat on the other side of the rink thought Goebel, who gave his best 3 quad performance ever, should have won.

When I watched the videos, it was clear that Plushenko focussed his performance very directly at the judges, so the force of it must have been much less apparent to spectators who watched his back for the whole four minutes.

So I always try to allow for that difference whe reading these kind of reports. Sometimes the program really does look different from different positions.

I think that could be true of Rippon. It was quite clear at last year's US Nationals. Tara and Johnny were raving about Rippon. They sat at one of the far ends of the rink. We were seated right behind the judge's panel. Rippon did not look all that wonderful from our angle because his jump problems were clearly visible from that position.

Last edited:

gigio

Rinkside
Yes. Exactly. My position was B side - it's a short side of arena. Some jumps were on the angle position of arena (clearly visible for me), some not – it's followed long side of arena. All quads and other jumps we saw on Arena and big screen. People who has seats on C or A side (long side), was really confused with results, and it's not about Sergei, Adam and Michail only. Differrent points of view reflect on opinion.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In fact my advice for best live viewing is always sit on the judges' side if you want to understand why they scored things as they do. You will be happier after the event! When I see what the judges see, I agree with them much more often!

Last edited:

gigio

Rinkside
So, Gala:

I will be short:)) My top 7:

1. Anna and Luca – definitely the best gala last time! It was very creative and very original. I respect skaters who keep attention on gala programs, and make it interesting for people.
2. Adiyan Pitkeev- I khow, he is too small for Joe Cocker, but it was so funny and out of cliches. I mean, usually people who try to dance "You can leave you hat on" are older, have maturity, live experience, and some kind of sexual energy. He is a boy. And it was the very cool thing of impression. And it was really fun and great developed gala with two different parts.
3. Javier Fernanders – Should I explain something? He is real entertainer! Amazing skater! Love him.
4.Yuko and Sasha – February. It was on of their programs from past, but I can not describe and find any word for it. It was outstanding! I am very happy what I saw it live. Great pleasure.
5. Adelina – I think it was nice mix classic piece of music with modern choreo and modern look. How she looks, how she moves, and Tchaikovsky – it looks very experemental, and real nice to see.
6. Adam Rippon – Thank you Adam for Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Queen in this season! It's my cup of tea. Gala was really nice. I like it.
7. Guignard/Fabri – I recently listened Canto della Terra by Andrea Bochelli and Sarah Brightman, and imagined to see this programm on ice soon. I was happy to see it live. I had gussies. It looked very pure and clear, maybe because Bochelli's voice is very pure, but this is my clear example of great Bochelli's programms.

Thank you for reading my expressions:))

Last edited:

gigio

Rinkside
Yes, in generally it is right. Judges side is the best one. But here in Luzhniki Judges side is VIP places and places for camera. If you see videos, there is middle sector with red seats- It's places for ISU, Russian FS Federation and Guests. Neighbor sectors from both sides are VIP sectors – places for athletes, vip guests, their families. I have seen Lypnitskaya, Ilinykh, Mozgov, Yanovskaya, Bukin, and other famous athletes. Meanwhile, we will have another place for Grand-Prix next year – Megasport arena. It will have bigger capacity, maybe other prices (hope it will be lower than on this event), and other sector's plan.

Last edited: