St. Paul Logistics - Lodging, Eating, etc. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

St. Paul Logistics - Lodging, Eating, etc.

louisa05

Final Flight
Looking for the little places around the Hotel 340 and the arena that make life easier.....a Walgreens is close so I can stock up on sundries when I arrive, and....wait for it....the best burger in St Paul!
http://burgermoes.com/

The best burger in the Twin Cities is the Juicy Lucy. Unfortunately, both places that serve it are on the Minneapolis side of the river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jucy_Lucy

We have only had it at the 5-8 Club. Our friends in the area have tried both restaurants and tell us the 5-8 is the better one.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The best burger in the Twin Cities is the Juicy Lucy. Unfortunately, both places that serve it are on the Minneapolis side of the river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jucy_Lucy

We have only had it at the 5-8 Club. Our friends in the area have tried both restaurants and tell us the 5-8 is the better one.

Yeah, well, time and distance are our enemies at skating events....time is one commodity that is in short supply.....Burger Moes will have to do! ;)

Impromptu

On the Ice
You can find Juicy Lucy's in St. Paul. The Blue Door Pub on Selby Ave has them ... it's not walking distance from the Xcel, but if you have a car, it's probably about 5 - 10 minutes away.

louisa05

Final Flight
There is a 5-8 Club in West St Paul and one in Maplewood. If you are going to drive out of the arena area for one, I would go there not to a knock off place. :)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a question for locals! I noticed a Subway and Hunan Garden Chinese Restaurant near the Alliance Bank on the Skyway. I just can't figure out if they are at street level or at skyway level. Anyone know? If they are at street level can I get their from the Skyway...is there a certain door or steps or something??

Impromptu

On the Ice
Subway is in the Skyway (and it's not open on weekends :( ) ... there are several Subways scattered throughout the Skyway system. Hunan appears to be street level - I think (but am not 100% sure) that you would have to go outside to get to it.

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Does anyone know if the Starbucks on Saint Peter street us accessible from the Skyway? On Google Street view I can see it from the street but was wondering if there was another entrance.

Impromptu

On the Ice
Does anyone know if the Starbucks on Saint Peter street us accessible from the Skyway? On Google Street view I can see it from the street but was wondering if there was another entrance.

I am relatively certain that one is inside (there are soooo many Starbucks, Caribous, and Dunn Brothers coffee in downtown MSP and St. Paul that I am not 100% sure on this), but that's also a very very short street, so if it's not Skyway accessible, you won't have to be outside long.

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
I am relatively certain that one is inside (there are soooo many Starbucks, Caribous, and Dunn Brothers coffee in downtown MSP and St. Paul that I am not 100% sure on this), but that's also a very very short street, so if it's not Skyway accessible, you won't have to be outside long.

Thanks! It's the only Starbucks I see on the Skyway route from the Intercontinental to the arena, so I'm hoping it's easy to find :) I have a gift card I've been saving for my quick Nationals breakfasts ;)

Liz1201

Rinkside
That's only two blocks from my hotel! Thank you, Liz and Impromptu, for this information. The last time I attended Nationals, it was pretty much a week without vegetables. Aiming to do better this year...

I know what you mean! I wish Usfsa would/could do more to get the vendors to have more healthy options. I'm sure arenas wouldn't allow it, but it could be a great fundraising opportunity for local clubs to have a booth with fruits and veggies for sale. Oh one can dream...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Good Morning Skating Fans. I was just watching the Weather Channel and it looks like it's going to be extremely cold. There was also a warning for "Black Ice" on Bridges and local roads. I'm sure most of the locals know how to drive in that kind of weather. However, being from California, I never have to drive in these conditions. Please be careful driving, even it's just a short distance. I hope you all have a great time.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ten day forecast is looking very cold with the wind chill....skywalk good!
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Saint+Paul+MN+USMN0664:1:US

No big systems comming in yet, but they have pleanty of plows and they use lots of salt on the road, so if you are driving in from a salt free state like WA, take your car to a car wash when you get home and get the salt off from the underside of your car...Spokane uses chemical deicer on some main roads but nothing beats salt for corrosion.....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a tip from a fan staying at the Hotel 340. In some of the rooms there is about a 6 inch step up into the bathroom. It might be a good idea to take a night light so you don't trip and fall on the step - which could mean another withdrawal from Nationals!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here is a tip from a fan staying at the Hotel 340. In some of the rooms there is about a 6 inch step up into the bathroom. It might be a good idea to take a night light so you don't trip and fall on the step - which could mean another withdrawal from Nationals!

Good idea! I am surprised they do that and dont get sued out of existance.....

Since its going to be a cold nats (again) I have been making skyway maps marked with the "lines" . I am at the 340. I take line 15, hence to line 16, then to Line 17, 19, and finally line 18. What could possibly go wrong?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I suggest you take your compass and a lunch on your journey through the skyway. If you come to a sign that says "Macy's" and a locked door, you will know you are going the WRONG WAY!!!

A friend who is already in St. Paul and is quite a fast walker says its 17 minutes from the Hotel 340 breakfast room to the Xcel. It will probably take you 10 and me 30 :laugh2:
Good idea! I am surprised they do that and dont get sued out of existance.....

Since its going to be a cold nats (again) I have been making skyway maps marked with the "lines" . I am at the 340. I take line 15, hence to line 16, then to Line 17, 19, and finally line 18. What could possibly go wrong?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I suggest you take your compass and a lunch on your journey through the skyway. If you come to a sign that says "Macy's" and a locked door, you will know you are going the WRONG WAY!!!

A friend who is already in St. Paul and is quite a fast walker says its 17 minutes from the Hotel 340 breakfast room to the Xcel. It will probably take you 10 and me 30 :laugh2:

It takes me 10...I timed it....but comming back through the maze is very confusing...little signage. Poorly done...I have learned to follow signs for allieance banking and Victory ramp. elevator markings in skyway have poorly marked buttons.... G, S, T, etc...Ground, Street and or Skyway, and Tunnel?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

BTW, I too have a six in step into the bathroom....I leave the door closed and the light on as there is a grill at the bottom of the door that sheds light on the step. Also, btw, if you loose the room key, it will cost you $150.