Eating Disorders: public or silent enemy? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Eating Disorders: public or silent enemy?

sisinka

Medalist
One, less talked eating disorder is orthorexia.

Thanks you for mentioning another topic @TT_Fin .

Orthorexia nervosa = an obsessive focus on healthy eating (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2021.640401 - science article from 2021)

- science article from 2021
- "...orthorexia nervosa... The main characteristics of this phenomenon are: spending an excessive amount of time thinking about, looking for and preparing food; feeling superior to those with different eating habits; rigidly following a particular health food diet; engaging in compensatory restrictions to make up for dietary indiscretions; associating self-esteem with adherence to the diet; and turning eating ‘properly’ into the central focus of life
- ...there seem to be two broad stages that lead to the development of ON-related behavior: the first being a relatively harmless choice to pursue a healthy diet, and the second being an unhealthy obsession evolving from this aim. Only the second stage is indicative of pathology..."

I was looking for some information about Nutrition at figure skating web sites and found this:
- US Figure Skating Association have a handbill about recovery nutrition

- Positive Body Guidelines by Canadian Figure Skating Association
- 12 pages with explanation what is body image, nutrition and growth is mentioned
- it contains recommendations for prevention and communication

sisinka

Medalist
https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018/2/16/eating-disorders-the-dark-side-of-figure-skating
- former US ice dancer Karina Manta:
- "During my first couple of years competing as a skater, I was struggling with an eating disorder,” said Karina Manta.

"I felt I had to achieve this standard of what female athletes in the sport should look like.”

“The rhetoric in skating, which I think causes a lot of eating disorders, if that if you starve yourself, your body won’t change,” said Manta.

“A lot of the girls are terrified about their bodies filling out, starting to get curves, and that changing the physics of their jumps and so they’ll try and stave off the natural process. There are girls who’ve gone a year without a period because they’re not feeding themselves properly.”

- article is mentioning Gracie Gold, also Penny Coomes shared her opinion about eating troubles and injuries (I will come back to it later)

- Joe Johnson shares his experience as well:
"While the women are told they need to look super skinny, be super light and liftable, men feel a pressure to make their limbs look longer,” said Johnson.

“I’ve met guys at the elite level who have got injured because they’re restricting themselves to the exact number of calories required to see a four-minute programme through."

"There was one skater who would calculate his meals so he ate exactly as many calories as he burned. Anything else he ate during the day, he would throw up because he was afraid the extra calories would affect his line quality."

sisinka

Medalist
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...order-developed-1994-attack/story?id=46749177
- Nancy Kerrigan:
"I would avoid food because it was something I could do. I felt like I could control that and nothing else," she said.

"I don't know why, but that seemed like an accomplishment."

“I think a lot of times people see it as something they can control," she said. "But frankly, the eating disorder starts to control you.”

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/adam-rippon-on-eating-disorders-in-mens-figure-skating.html
- Brian Boitano:
"Brian Boitano, 1988 Olympic gold medalist, said that he wasn’t even happy with his figure when his body-fat percentage was four percent.

Boitano thought his ability to ignore his body’s demands for fuel elevated him above his opponents who surrendered to their appetites. “When I was hungry,” he said, “it made me feel strong.”

Boitano said judges, under the guise of being helpful, would apply extra pressure to drop a few pounds — even when his body fat hovered around 4 percent.

“If judges tell you to lose weight,” Boitano said, “you don’t have time to figure out how do it healthily.”

Magill

Record Breaker
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...order-developed-1994-attack/story?id=46749177
- Nancy Kerrigan:
"I would avoid food because it was something I could do. I felt like I could control that and nothing else," she said.

"I don't know why, but that seemed like an accomplishment."

“I think a lot of times people see it as something they can control," she said. "But frankly, the eating disorder starts to control you.”

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/adam-rippon-on-eating-disorders-in-mens-figure-skating.html
- Brian Boitano:
"Brian Boitano, 1988 Olympic gold medalist, said that he wasn’t even happy with his figure when his body-fat percentage was four percent.

Boitano thought his ability to ignore his body’s demands for fuel elevated him above his opponents who surrendered to their appetites. “When I was hungry,” he said, “it made me feel strong.”

Boitano said judges, under the guise of being helpful, would apply extra pressure to drop a few pounds — even when his body fat hovered around 4 percent.

“If judges tell you to lose weight,” Boitano said, “you don’t have time to figure out how do it healthily.”
Judges??? I'd imagine coaches, but judges???
This is really much worse than I thought....

Weathergal

Medalist
I've heard it in the other direction from judges as well. Tanith Belbin talked about how when she was very thin for a while, she was approached by judges encouraging her to gain weight. She later went on to say that when she did, she found she skated better, and it was easier to help Ben with the lifts, etc.

sisinka

Medalist
It is very rare to see any coach to protect athlete's health officially. I found these two examples.

- article from 2018

- "If you’re not eating properly, your bone density will be lower, and injuries will happen,” said British ice dancer PENNY COOMES who is now trying to advise younger athletes on the subject.

“A huge amount of energy and strength goes into a routine, but because of this old-fashioned aesthetic of what female skaters should look like, you see these young girls striving for something that’s just not realistic."

- interview with Ice Dance coach ELENA SOKOLOVA from October 2023 (she is coaching Mironova & Ustenko, in past she was coaching Gleb Smolkin for short time)

She supported Natalie Taschler saying that many people criticise Natalie for weight issues, but Sokolova admires her speed despite the weight. She likes both Czech senior couples.

She also liked Hubell & Donohue for their power, speed and charisma.

- As to puberty...
"If a person deals with her / his weight well and have the same jumping content, what is the problem then? As to girls you have to wait. Everyone goes through puberty. If we want to keep girl (in active sport), we must accept her even in this stage of life (puberty).
And give her time to understand her body. Was Liza (Tuktamysheva) given time? Look how gorgeous she looks. Kamila needs to be given the time as well. She will get into great beautiful skating shape."

sisinka

Medalist
I've heard it in the other direction from judges as well. Tanith Belbin talked about how when she was very thin for a while, she was approached by judges encouraging her to gain weight. She later went on to say that when she did, she found she skated better, and it was easier to help Ben with the lifts, etc.
That was almost 40 years ago.

I would hope that most judges have changed their approach in the interim, at least within the US. There could always be outliers, of course.

- from interview with Jenny Kirk in 2010

- "...At a competition, weight is usually made to be an indicator of who is ready to "fight" and who isn't prepared for the event. There were dozens of times when my coaches or those around me told me not to worry about a certain competitor because they had gained weight, which according to them meant that the skater wasn't a threat anymore. In order to avoid being counted out before an event begins, skaters want to show up at competitions looking the part of the champion. Often this means showing up as thin as possible."

I am not sure who "those people around Jenny" were - parents...other skaters...friend...officials...judges...?

sisinka

Medalist
Now Brian Boitano has a cooking show on the Food Netwiork. Here he is making tacos with guest chef Kristi Yamaguchi.

Jennifer Kirk was coached in Boston by the same team that had coached Nancy Kerrigan earlier.

I heard about Brian Boitano. It is a good recovery after years of starving.

Also Anna Shcherbakova had appereance in Russian cooking show on TV.

Many years back Alena Leonova and Maria Sotskova shared their cooking tips on Instagram Live.

This summer Jason Brown shared his favourite recipes on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ct-_Q0uIVOJ/?igsh=eWQzZzNwaHFma2o= .

sisinka

Medalist
Here and there one can find another mentions about eating issues in figure skating world.
I would wish those skaters to get more space to share their stories and help to change the overall approach towards food and health in figure skating.

https://grandstandcentral.com/2018/featured/body-image-problem-figure-skating/
- article from 2018 from Yelena Knight, former competive figure skater
- "I don’t know of a skater who doesn’t think about their weight. When I was at the height of my competitive career, I was eating one meal a day after training for hours. I was often exhausted and irritated, but my focus was attaining the lean body that we see in those who grace the world stage."
- "Within this perfectly rosy bubble, skaters are typically not encouraged to speak up about issues they face as it could impact their overall image with the judges, and their federation – who are responsible for providing funding. Speaking up admits humanity, if not brokenness, which no one wants to see in skating. However, thanks to social media, many skaters are using their own channels to shed light into the pressure they face as athletes."
- "Within the arena walls, coaches, parents, and others push for athletes to look a certain way. When I competed, I was frequently told by coaches, and judges that I should focus on “making my legs skinnier”. I remember being six years old, grabbing my thighs, wishing that they would shrink. Now, twenty years later, I still struggle to like how my thighs look. Commentators and other coaches within the sport frequently comment on skaters’ physiques as if it is another element in the program. It’s not uncommon to hear coaches suggesting that skaters should “lose 8 – 10 pounds” in order to achieve better results."
- "The stigma around mental health remains strong, and is stronger still in sport."
- "Federations need to stare this issue dead on, and address it, providing training to coaches, and athletes on it, just as training would be offered on understanding the rule changes in the sport. The federations need to place pressure on the ISU to raise the minimum age of skaters, with a focus on women, so the pressure to remain the size of a 12 year old is lifted, and athletes can feel comfortable embracing womanhood."

I also mentioned English translation of Anna Shcherbakova's appearance in "Tonight" TV show from November 2023.
Thank you @Alex Fedorov for translation.

translation of excerpts from TV show that caused a clearly excessive response:

First, Tsiskaridze’s long introduction about how difficult it is for girls during puberty and how they fall under the bad influence of false friends, start smoking or taking some kind of weight loss drugs, which is absolutely forbidden to do, he specifically prohibits all this to his students, etc. .d.

Anna: I can say that girls who do gymnastics, figure skating and ballet all know this topic very well, they all understand that from childhood you are forced to monitor your weight. We are being weighed...

Tsiskaridze: You can’t imagine how they cry now when they go to weigh-in. But I force them to do it. You just need to weigh yourself.

Anna:
We had weigh-ins every day. At the same time, I started measuring my weight starting at the age of seven. But I’m probably one of those lucky girls [for whom this is not a problem]. Until a certain age, this was not a problem for me either. But I know girls who had to limit themselves [in food] starting at age 9. Their mothers watch them so that they do not steal some chocolate somewhere, and these problems begin with them from an early age.

I probably didn’t think about it at all until I was 15-16 years old...

Tsiskaridze: So you started puberty at that age?

Anna:
Yes, this happened directly during the Olympic season. Until that moment, I had a similar stories (Anna means that the story was similar to the story of one of the participants in the show), when they told me after the weigh-in: “If you lose weight now, then instead of general physical training we will send you to the locker room, and you will eat there." I said in response: “Please don’t!” and cried (laughs).

At a much later time, I naturally recalled these incidents and thought: “It was good then - instead of training, go eat!” But it’s really probably (she thought for a second)… it turns out that at the age of 17 I began adolescence - it was just the Olympic season. At that moment, I first encountered the problem that I needed to lose weight. And all the methods that worked before stopped working. Before this, I always thought that all I had to do was skip dinner for two or three days, and now my weight would return to normal. But here [during puberty] you are faced with the fact that nothing [changes].

Tsiskaridze: Moreover, you are still under pressure all the time due to the fact that at any moment they can check you and find some kind of illegal drug.

Anna:
Yes, we always monitor this very closely. But, probably, it was during that season that I began to monitor my nutrition very strictly. It also happened that I would put on five sweaters and five pants and go to the gym in the evening. That is, you are always chasing [optimal weight].

Tsiskaridze: So what was your critical weight then?

Anna:
Well, I knew exactly how much I had to weigh [for the competition]…

Tsiskaridze: What is this weight?

Anna:
This is 42 kilograms.

Tsiskaridze: 42, and at what height?

Anna:
With a height of approximately 161 centimeters.

Tsiskaridze: Well, this is cruel. Also, wait, is this with or without skates?

Anna:
(laughs) This is without skates, during our usual weigh-in before training. And it just so happened that in the offseason I suffered an injury, which caused me to gain weight.

Tsiskaridze: And how big was this increase?

Anna:
It was about 3-4 kilograms.

Tsiskaridze: This is quite serious...

Anna:
This is incredibly critical.

Unidentified woman: How is it determined what weight should be?

Anna:
This is determined during training with a coach.

Tsiskaridze: Well, firstly, this is determined visually. It happens that on one person these 3-4 additional kilograms are unnoticeable, but on another they say that he has become fat, even if the increase was only 30 grams. It [depends] on the natural structure of the body, of course.

Anna:
We do not use a general system of parameters, when a certain number is subtracted from height and the desired weight is obtained. This is determined individually for each athlete.

Tsiskaridze: By and large, the weight of boys should be calculated as their height minus 110, and the weight of girls - as their height minus 120. This is in the general case. But, of course, for those who do elements like Anna - the lighter you are, the easier it is for you to jump, land, and so on..

Anna:
And, of course, excess weight is always a risk of injury, because our jumping is a huge load on the body, and every extra kilogram is an additional load on the joints...

Unidentified Woman: The stress on the knees and everything else...

Anna:
Yes. But we do not use this scheme with subtracting some numbers from growth. This is individual for us. There may be athletes of the same height, but with different optimal weights.

Tsiskaridze: Well, in the end, how did you cope?

Anna:
Well, here’s the first, and, as it seemed to me [at that moment], the surest way is, as everyone says, “don’t eat!” So you just...

Tsiskaridze: But in this case there is no strength for training...

Anna:
Yes. But at that moment, my main problem was that I seemed to believe that food was my main enemy, and every meal seemed to me to be harming myself. And after each meal, when it seemed to me that I had eaten too much, I would put on [five sweaters and five pants] again and go to the gym.

After that, almost until the very end, Anna sat and was silent; all sorts of terrible stories were told about gluttony and anorexia, and she listened.

(two minutes before the end)

Tsiskaridze (addressing all participants): Tell me, do any of you count calories?

Anna:
I tried to count [some time ago].

Unidentified Woman: You're tired of this, right?

Anna:
No, because of this I just overly focused my attention on nutrition, now I’m trying to be more relaxed about it. It was like this: I look at food and a scanner starts working in my head, I count [calories] and a goal arises - to reduce the total number of calories.

Tsiskaridze: Stanislav, tell us about calorie counting.

Stanislav (professional nutritionist): Anna has already answered everything. This is a very difficult method that can cause anxiety in a person, so I do not recommend people to use this technique. Although in professional sports this method is probably effective.

Anna:
I always had to weigh myself. That is, I weighed myself 50 times a day, but now I’m out of the habit, now I weigh myself once a day, and even then I’m lazy. And when I was in active sports, during competitions I had to know exactly how much I weighed every minute of the day.

Anna didn't say anything else on this show.

Anna:
..."We had weigh-ins every day. At the same time, I started measuring my weight starting at the age of seven. ...But I know girls who had to limit themselves [in food] starting at age 9. Their mothers watch them so that they do not steal some chocolate somewhere, and these problems begin with them from an early age.
....It also happened that I would put on five sweaters and five pants and go to the gym in the evening. That is, you are always chasing [optimal weight].
Well, I knew exactly how much I had to weigh [for the competition]…This is 42 kilograms.
...With a height of approximately 161 centimeters.
...And, of course, excess weight is always a risk of injury, because our jumping is a huge load on the body, and every extra kilogram is an additional load on the joints.
...Well, here’s the first, and, as it seemed to me [at that moment], the surest way is, as everyone says, “don’t eat!” So you just...
...But at that moment, my main problem was that I seemed to believe that food was my main enemy, and every meal seemed to me to be harming myself. And after each meal, when it seemed to me that I had eaten too much, I would put on [five sweaters and five pants] again and go to the gym.
...I always had to weigh myself. That is, I weighed myself 50 times a day, but now I’m out of the habit, now I weigh myself once a day, and even then I’m lazy. And when I was in active sports, during competitions I had to know exactly how much I weighed every minute of the day."

sisinka

Medalist
Year 2023 is slowly coming to the end.

I would like to wish all people to be healthy and happy. To find a lot of nice and funny moments next year. And for those who are fighting their personal fights - to find enough strength to handle everything...and sometimes turn around and realise...that there are always people who are ready to help and support.

sisinka

Medalist

sisinka

Medalist
BODY COMPOSITION SCALES

1) InBody or Tanita Scale and
2) DEXA (Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry) scan are one of the most used scales for body composition measurements.

https://www.verywellfit.com/what-is-body-composition-3495614
Factors to consider:
.your body shape is unique to you and there are uncontrollable factors that affect your body composition

Genes
: Your genes determine your body type and composition and your inherited body type may have more body fat that’s hard to lose.

Hormones: Hormones also influence body composition. Testosterone is a male sex hormone that increases muscle mass.

Sex: Due to a combination of genetics and hormones, women have more body fat than men.

https://tanita.eu/understanding-your-measurements#Body-fat-mass-and-percentage
What can be measured and why:

- Body fat mass and percentage
Body fat fulfills important functions, such as keeping your body warm or protecting your organs.

A too low percentage means you probably need to make changes to your diet and exercise regime to increase your fat mass to a more healthy level, while a high percentage means you could benefit from more exercise and a healthier diet.

- Segmental body fat percentage
By measuring the variation in fat percentages in both arms, both legs and your torso separately, you can specifically monitor the effectiveness of your efforts and make adjustments where necessary.

Measurement of body fat percentage per part of the body.

By measuring the variation in fat percentages in both arms, both legs and your torso separately, you can specifically monitor the effectiveness of your efforts and make adjustments where necessary.

- Visceral fat
Is found deep in the core of the abdomen. This fat surrounds and protects vital organs, such as the liver, pancreas and kidneys.

- Muscle mass
Muscle mass includes skeletal muscle, smooth muscle (such as heart and digestive muscles) and the water in your muscles.

- Segmental muscle mass
Amount of muscle mass per body part.

This is especially useful for anyone who is monitoring the balance of the left and right side of the body or trying to build muscle mass within a certain part of the body.

(MY NOTE - In ideal case both right and left upper limb and right and left lower limb should have equal muscle mass to avoid health imbalances and health troubles. I would expect that in single and pair skating landing leg could have more muscle mass. As well acute or chronic injury on one of the limbs will reduce muscle mass of that limb. )

- Muscle quality score

- Total body water

The body water percentage is the amount of fluid in the body, expressed as a percentage of the total body weight.

Water plays an important role in various body processes and is found in every cell, tissue and organ.

A healthy body fluid percentage reduces the risk of health problems and ensures that the body functions properly.

The body's water content is constantly changing. Water is lost through urine, sweat and breathing, but your hydration level can also vary depending on, for example, alcohol consumption, the flu or menstruation.

- Bone mass

- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the daily minimum level of energy or calories your body requires when resting, for your respiratory and circulatory organs, neural system, liver, kidneys, and other organs to function effectively.

Your BMR is strongly influenced by the amount of muscle you have. Increasing muscle mass increases your BMR, which increases the number of calories consumed and subsequently decreases the amount of body fat.

- Body Mass Index

- Daily calorie intake (DCI)

An estimate of how many calories you can consume within the next 24 hours to maintain your current weight.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
1 US cup (c) of water = 240 milliliters (mL) or 240 grams (g).

So, maybe the Eteri team is correct that skaters should water restrict before a competition, because a cup of water would ruin a skater's entire program? Do you agree with that?
You apparently want to discuss the eating disorders topic, so I took the freedom to quote your post to a more appropriate thread :)
Weight control is a task which is individual for each skater. So called "water weight" tactics (little drinking or extra sweating to lose weight) is widely spread in figure skating coaching environment and probably deserve a separate topic (I think Ryan Dunk spoke about but I could not find that thread). As for me, I consider it a dangerous game and would prefer different tactics. And of course, it should not be imposed on minors in any circumstances.

So, the answer is: I completely disagree. Eteri was completely wrong creating the whole situation where children do complicated acrobatic programs which they can accomplish only being restricted on food and water.

Last edited:

sisinka

Medalist
1 US cup (c) of water = 240 milliliters (mL) or 240 grams (g).

So, maybe the Eteri team is correct that skaters should water restrict before a competition, because a cup of water would ruin a skater's entire program? Do you agree with that?

Thank you @Anna K. for repost.

Before coaches and parents start to force athletes to water restriction, they should rethink few things...
- ask nutrition specialist or dietitian - I do not believe that you could find a specialist saying that not drinking at all or let's say drink 400 mililitres per day is OK...

- athletes are loosing a lot more fluids than non-athletes - practises are demanding which leads to much bigger water loss due to sweating and respiration

- water restriction IS DANGEROUS:
- Total body water

A healthy body fluid percentage reduces the risk of health problems and ensures that the body functions properly.

The body's water content is constantly changing. Water is lost through urine, sweat and breathing, but your hydration level can also vary depending on, for example, alcohol consumption, the flu or menstruation.

1) https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/d/dehydration.html
- "Mild dehydration can cause problems with blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature.
- Severe dehydration can also cause weakness or confusion.
- In extreme cases, it can lead to brain damage and even death."

2) https://www.baptisthealth.com/blog/...side-effects-of-dehydration-on-the-human-body
- "A person can survive about a week without water because the human body consists of 75% water. Eliminating toxins and waste materials become a difficult task when dehydrated. ...your body is more susceptible to infection.

- When our bodies become dehydrated our blood becomes thicker and restricts blood flow. This can lead to an increase in blood pressure and a rise in blood cholesterol. ...increase your risk of coronary heart disease."

(My note as a doctor: Slower blood flow because blood is less fluent.. increases risk of blood clots in different organs - so you can get heart attack / lung embolism / stroke. All these things are life threatening situations which may lead to death. There are also genetic mutations which are causing wrong blood flow...also contraception and smoking are increasing risks of blood clots.)

So definitely water intake should be consulted with nutrition specialist taking account how much water is given out thanks to extreme training regime of athletes.

Like I mentioned above there are scales which can measure total body water in body. Athletes shouldn't go under normal range.

People in figure skating advising water restrictions...I would like to know whether they have overall knowledge of 1) how much water their athlete is loosing per sweating, respiration etc., 2) what is total body water of that athlete, 3) other things - ilness, menstruation, alcohol.

If you want to advise and keep an athlete safe in the same moment, I think you should take into account all these things above.

https://ice-blog.riedellskates.com/staying-hydrated-on-the-ice/
- very good article about hydration
- These tips come from research performed by the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine and the National Athletic Trainers’ Association.

- 8 tips:
..."Always make an effort to hydrate before feeling thirsty.

... Being dehydrated by just one to two percent under normal levels can significantly reduce stamina, physical strength and endurance – all necessary factors for skating at peak performance.

... Hydration facilitates muscle recovery, removes wastes and toxins, restores glycogen and helps prepare the body for the next workout."

sisinka

Medalist
...(I think Ryan Dunk spoke about but I could not find that thread). ...

- " “There’s been a lot of misinformation. I’ve had coaches who didn’t want me to do strength training because it would make me ‘bulky’, said Dunk. “I’ve had coaches tell me to not drink that much water. All sorts of things that aren’t scientifically accurate.”

You apparently want to discuss the eating disorders topic, so I took the freedom to quote your post to a more appropriate thread :)
Weight control is a task which is individual for each skater. So called "water weight" tactics (little drinking or extra sweating to lose weight) is widely spread in figure skating coaching environment and probably deserve a separate topic (I think Ryan Dunk spoke about but I could not find that thread). As for me, I consider it a dangerous game and would prefer different tactics. And of course, it should not be imposed on minors in any circumstances.

So, the answer is: I completely disagree. Eteri was completely wrong creating the whole situation where children do complicated acrobatic programs which they can accomplish only being restricted on food and water.

I agree. I do believe that scientific and detailed approach is useful in every elite sport, but water restriction without deeper knowledge (total body water, needs of amount of water per day individually, ...) is dangerous in my opinion.

Originally sport should develop both physical and mental side. But it looks that with time it turned into record breaking and money making thing no matter what. Any prize it takes. It is sad to watch.

If crossing healthy border with food and water restriction is the only propagated way how to succeed...It would mean having skaters (mainly single ladies) landing extra difficult jumps NOT because of talent. It would mean they land those jumps because of combination of 1) prepubertal age and postponed puberty, 2) food restriction - in meaning of no food, 3) water restriction - in meaning of not drinking at all some days. And hurry, hurry, because this approach will lead to multiple stress fractures and injuries. So they need to win quickly before their bodies 1) enter puberty at full or 2) injuries will end their career.

Why some of parents, coaches and federation's members believe that nothing serious happens with these restrictions?

Food and water restrictions are direct way to eating disorders.

Eating disorders are with you forever. It tries to strike again every time when you are in stress. This illness damages your organs and whole body. Damage which will never be repaired. All injuries will be more serious and more difficult to handle. Is it really paying off - do some parents, coaches and federation's members really believe it?

Zora

On the Ice
Ever since I read this interview with Kostornaia, I think there's something completely wrong with the way these athletes think about weight gain, water intake etc. Running in cling film to lose water in order to be able to eat more dinner sounds insane. Even if this wasn't the idea of the coaches, someone should have intervened this behaviour.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018/2/16/eating-disorders-the-dark-side-of-figure-skating
- former US ice dancer Karina Manta:
- "During my first couple of years competing as a skater, I was struggling with an eating disorder,” said Karina Manta.

"I felt I had to achieve this standard of what female athletes in the sport should look like.”

“The rhetoric in skating, which I think causes a lot of eating disorders, if that if you starve yourself, your body won’t change,” said Manta.

“A lot of the girls are terrified about their bodies filling out, starting to get curves, and that changing the physics of their jumps and so they’ll try and stave off the natural process. There are girls who’ve gone a year without a period because they’re not feeding themselves properly.”

- article is mentioning Gracie Gold, also Penny Coomes shared her opinion about eating troubles and injuries (I will come back to it later)

- Joe Johnson shares his experience as well:
"While the women are told they need to look super skinny, be super light and liftable, men feel a pressure to make their limbs look longer,” said Johnson.

“I’ve met guys at the elite level who have got injured because they’re restricting themselves to the exact number of calories required to see a four-minute programme through."

"There was one skater who would calculate his meals so he ate exactly as many calories as he burned. Anything else he ate during the day, he would throw up because he was afraid the extra calories would affect his line quality."
This was written in 2018. What has changed? I say not much.