TEB is Cancelled | Page 10 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Adding extra points to TEB skaters is far too arbitrary. It seems like they'll just go by the standings of SP but I think that's ridiculous given that so many skaters these days bomb the SP and then do well / perform a top 3 program in the FS. I think they should just add another day to the next grand prix and have that day be for TEB skaters. But then there are still logistical problems about whether everyone would be available that day etc.

Still, you guys need to respect this decision. In canceling the event, they are not letting the terrorists win nor are they asserting that the event was insecure / likely to be threatened. It was done out of an abundance of caution; it gives authorities one less thing to worry about as they try to piece everything together.

One grand prix event is not the be-all end-all for these skaters. Yes, they'll be disappointed because of the work they put in, but I think the vast majority of them realize that, in perspective, figure skating means nothing compared to the tragedy that's just happened. I'm not getting the sense, from reading many of your posts, that many of you appreciate this fact.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
They could also do bad in their free, you can just asume they are gonna do great in the free

I don't assume anything but giving them the chance which they originally had before the cancellation would be better for justice.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Um... what will happen with the skaters at TEB who are assigned to CoR as well? Will CoR be delayed?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, I actually realized that considering SP results as final results would mean a bronze medal for Roberta :noshake::eeking:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Even if I understand the reasons behind this, I don't think that surrendering to violence is the right choice: giving the signal that life goes on despite it would be the best, especially if the events are not in Paris itself. And there is of course the difficult matter of qualifying for GPF... Depriving skaters such as Liza or Chan of the chance to redeem themselves after an unsuccessful SP would not be fair, just as depriving all the competitors of the possibility of qualifying for GPF would :scratch3: (On a side note, I'm really sad for Roberta, who had just had one of her best skates ever :sad21: )
It's not surrendering to violence. It's about government officials trying to maintain the safety of the athletes and showing respect to all those who work the event, and to all of France. They have no idea if any other attacks will occur and have declared the actions of ISIS a declaration of war. And posters are upset about the GPF and the use short program scores. Sad when the athletes themselves are showing understanding towards this decision, even if a GPF spot is at a loss. With 153 confirmed dead please keep in mind they didn't get to blow up the stadium as planned, there could have been so many more casualties.

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I don't think it's that unfair, to be honest. It just shows that one can't just let oneself screw up half of the competition. Not gonna lie, though, I'll be disappointed if I don't see Patrick in Barcelona.:no:

I think Patrick's going to go to Barcelona even with the SP results. He has 22 points if I'm not mistaken. Shoma already qualified, Javi is (almost sure) going to do it next week. If there aren't any surprises, Yuzu, Jin, Kovtun will be top 3 (any order) at NHK so they will qualify. So there's still one more place.
The others that can reach 22 are: Jason if he is at least third (little chances at NHK..), Adam and Grant if they are at least second, Nam Voronov or Menshov if they win (almost impossible).

Sorry for any mistakes, I just had a look here

But yes, let's wait until Tuesday:confused2:

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Apparently Trankov suggested that if they only go by SP scores they should cancel the GP final altogether

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Not a perfect solution, but what if skaters complete lp in closed sessions on respective home ice? Judging panel will view via live feed from their respective home countries. Tech panel will view via live feed from central location.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
poor Liza & T/M if so!
They're def not in the final
unfair:sad21:

moriel

Record Breaker
poor Liza & T/M if so!
They're def not in the final
unfair:sad21:

unfair to all pairs - most of them are so close in score that picking just 2 to be silver and bronze medalists right now is totally unfair - the placements could shift any way after the free skate

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guys...let's not forget it's entirely possible that people involved with the attack got away or there could be supporters planning a second wave. It's only a six hour drive away. Remember Charlie Hebdo attacks and the grocery store scene? The less soft targets out there in this heighten state can only be a good thing. The ISU council will vote on the proposal. Doesn't really matter what we say. Right now my prayers are with France and for the safety of everyone including a safe return of our beloved skaters.

I'm glad they cancelled it and GPF standing are the last thing on my mind.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ask French people what would they think if there will be a caricature on people dying...
Satire doesn't take people's feelings into account. But they'll probably go easier on the French than the go on the Russians. I'm not a great fan of satire myself, but I respect it as an art movement. And when free countries are confroned with terrorism artistic freedom is so very important.

Satire is ok when no double morals involved. I mean, will they / did they already publish something about the latest events?
No, koatcue was refering to caricatures about the crash of the russian plane in egypt. They're not tasteful.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I'll be pleasantly shocked if the ISU would spend anymore money still holding this event in a different form
if they can just make a rule out of the SP being the total score and be done with it
I actually agree. They might go with force majeur this time, it was not their decision but it came from state authorities. If they say it was a force majeur then they can count SP result as final.
Also GPF is not Olympics. Things like yesterday in Paris does not happen often. Some skaters will lose the chance to compete at GPF this year but it is not the end of the world, it happened. They still can win their Nationals, Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I really hope they don't go with the SP results. It would be extremely unfair. Either organize a sort of event where the skaters can skate their LP/FD or cancel the GPF altogether.