TEB is Cancelled | Page 9 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't think it's that unfair, to be honest. It just shows that one can't just let oneself screw up half of the competition. Not gonna lie, though, I'll be disappointed if I don't see Patrick in Barcelona.:no:

Haha no, It doesn't show that,
This is a freak situation, No morals need be learned here

moriel

Record Breaker
Why? SP results as of now are only SP results. Every skater showed their best at that day and time. We have no idea waht ISU will count as a final result, my guess that they will arange LP skates for participants at later events (if skaters agree to do so). Basically not every skater should agree to go to a different event for the sake of free skate. Only those who has a desire and are able to go to GPF according to their skill.

Then it would not be comparable - suppose Gracie doesnt want to skate her FS, and Liza does, and jumps a clean 3A in her free, and everything else just perfect. Who shall win?

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I don't think it's that unfair, to be honest. It just shows that one can't just let oneself screw up half of the competition. Not gonna lie, though, I'll be disappointed if I don't see Patrick in Barcelona.:no:

But the sport is based on TWO programs. You have the chance to make up for the errors in the FS.
Plus, all competing at the two remaining events still have two programs to do. So just because the event was cancelled they are at a huge disadvantage. Others in the next two events may also screw up their SP but still go on to qualify for the GPF after a better FS.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
I'm assuming if they weren't willing to just hold a Judges only competition they probably won't go for that either
In this case probably skater's interests should be considered first. And that means to give GP points for result of whole competition, not SP only.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

For comparison:

"Results" is the heading on the corresponding pages for 2015 Skate America (already completed obviously).
Not "Final Results."

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpusa2015/CAT001RS.HTM

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Even if I understand the reasons behind this, I don't think that surrendering to violence is the right choice: giving the signal that life goes on despite it would be the best, especially if the events are not in Paris itself. And there is of course the difficult matter of qualifying for GPF... Depriving skaters such as Liza or Chan of the chance to redeem themselves after an unsuccessful SP would not be fair, just as depriving all the competitors of the possibility of qualifying for GPF would :scratch3:
(On a side note, I'm really sad for Roberta, who had just had one of her best skates ever :sad21: )

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
What has that to do with the value of people and their passports? Satire is an art movement. The intention of satire is not to make fun of something or somebody. Satire can be humorous but it's intention is social criticism. And I believe that Charlie Hebdo has to continue their work particularly in times like these. It's important.

Ask French people what would they think if there will be a caricature on people dying...

Sorrento

Record Breaker
"Peter Krick, the figure skating sports director at the ISU who is present in Bordeaux, also made a statement.

"I have just informed (ISU) President [Ottavio] Cinquanta of the decision of the French government. We're sorry for it," Krick said. "I'll propose that the results of the short program provide the basis for the selection to the (Grand Prix) Final, so that the skaters present here are not penalized by having participated in only one Grand Prix. This, however, is only a proposal, as the ISU Council will have to make a formal decision. But I am confident the Council will follow it, so that no one will suffer to have only one Grand Prix event."
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015...-feds-gailhaguet-we-are-completely-devastated
My Lord, they've made the decision already?

peg

Medalist
Letting the SP results stand isn't any more "unfair" than for example enrolling the TEB skaters in the last two comps, therefore creating much more stacked fields there as compared to the first three competitions. So anyone who had the luck to be already done with their events (like Chock/Bates) has an unfair advantage compared to those who still need to skate. It will be also very tiring for the TEB skaters and create a logistics nightmare. There are no good solutions here anymore.

I think one approach would be to use the SP results to calculate standings, but then allocate an extra one or two spots for the GPF for those who were at TEB and were on the bubble in terms of qualifying. That way you give some benefit f the doubt to those who were unable to skate their FS.

moriel

Record Breaker
What has that to do with the value of people and their passports? Satire is an art movement. The intention of satire is not to make fun of something or somebody. Satire can be humorous but it's intention is social criticism. And I believe that Charlie Hebdo has to continue their work particularly in times like these. It's important.

Satire is ok when no double morals involved. I mean, will they / did they already publish something about the latest events?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
In this case probably skater's interests should be considered first. And that means to give GP points for result of whole competition, not SP only.

Well in reality, I just heard someone's voice (Not sure who) on the ISU live stream offering so graciously that the skaters would be able
to use their SP scores as their GP total, So to me that shows the ISU feels like they'd even be doing them a favour by that...

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Why not to postpone Free Skating to week after NHK Trophy?
Of course in means to skate three weeks in a row for some skaters, but they will have to skate missing LP, while SP results will be counted from yesterday.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I'm deeply sad for the attack and losses of innocent people. I think it was wise to cancel the competition for now in that chaotic atmosphere. Using SP scores would be really unfair to those who could climb up the standings in the free (like Liza and Patrick). Also the pairs from 2nd to 7th place were seperated only by very few points. Solutions came into my mind are:
1. Holding FS segments of this competition in a nearby country as soon as possible.
2. Using seasons best scores for the FS but there may be some who didn't compete before yet.
3. Giving skaters the right to skate their FS at Rostelecom or NHK and add it to TEB scores/placements.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Even if I understand the reasons behind this, I don't think that surrendering to violence is the right choice: giving the signal that life goes on despite it would be the best, especially if the events are not in Paris itself.
My guess they can't provide enough security personnel at that rink at the moment. Might be that the main military force will serve for Paris now. According to some news some terrorists could have escaped from the police. I regret the cancellation of the event but security comes first.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even if I understand the reasons behind this, I don't think that surrendering to violence is the right choice: giving the signal that life goes on despite it would be the best, especially if the events are not in Paris itself. And there is of course the difficult matter of qualifying for GPF... Depriving skaters such as Liza or Chan of the chance to redeem themselves after an unsuccessful SP would not be fair, just as depriving all the competitors of the possibility of qualifying for GPF would :scratch3:
(On a side note, I'm really sad for Roberta, who had just had one of her best skates ever :sad21: )

I agree. I'm disappointed that this was cancelled. VERY. I'm NO WAY dumbing down what happened. However, it's unfair for the skaters who WAITED MONTHS to come here to compete and now, BOOM the FP is cancelled because of this horrific act. Not fair to cancel. There must have have been an alternative.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I'm deeply sad for the attack and losses of innocent people. I think it was wise to cancel the competition for now in that chaotic atmosphere. Using SP scores would be really unfair to those who could climb up the standings in the free (like Liza and Patrick). Also the pairs from 2nd to 7th place were seperated only by very few points. Solutions came into my mind are:
1. Holding FS segments of this competition in a nearby country as soon as possible.
2. Using seasons best scores for the FS but there may be some who didn't compete before yet.
3. Giving skaters the right to skate their FS at Rostelecom or NHK and add it to TEB scores/placements.

They could also do bad in their free, you can just asume they are gonna do great in the free

whatif

Medalist
My guess they can't provide enough security personnel at that rink at the moment. Might be that the main military force will serve for Paris now. According to some news some terrorists could have escaped from the police. I regret the cancellation of the event but security comes first.

Exactly, It hasn't even been 24 hours since it happened. I bet they are still assessing this unprecedented situation. For some countries this may not be that big of a deal. But for France, this arguably the worst thing happened since WWII.

onrsvm

On the Ice
Country
Turkey
I think Barcelona can host for competition which only contains free program on weekdays. Otherwise, if isu accept only sp scores Liza wont be qualified for GPF :(((