2016 US Nationals TV and Livestream | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals TV and Livestream

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So this means the URs will show up in the box in real time? << also? Good, we might have less wuzrobbing in the PBP threads. (Not really holding out any hope of that...)

Thankyou sabinfire! Can't wait to watch when I get home tonight. No Weir means it might be actually watchable!

gkelly

Record Breaker
The reviews don't happen until the end of the program. All that can show up in the boxes in real time is the fact that the element has been flagged for review.

Except perhaps in really obvious cases where the skater comes out of the jump facing forward and there's no question the jump will be downgraded -- in that case the panel might call it in real time.

temadd

Final Flight
I applaud any effort to get fans back watching skating. I noticed that next Saturday NBC has 2 hours in the afternoon and 3 in the evening devoted to skating. That's a step in the right direction. I enjoy the ISU "box" in the upper left corner that tracks the points of a competitor during the competition. I hope NBC's doesn't become too complicated and distract from the performance. Interesting how Johnny was no where to be found in this preview show and although his audio was part of the clips with previous skates, I didn't hear alot about him nor mention we'll see Johnny next week. Maybe Tanith is filling this second spot on prime time in preparation for her work at the summer Olympics and maybe some were getting tired of Johnny's edginess. It's a fine line, sarcasm and negativity. Maybe NBC finds Tanith a better balance to Tara. I'm ok with Tanith but I would love to see Ryan Bradley get a crack with Tara. I heard him a bit on Universal and he's knowledgeable and funny.

Johnny was in Japan on Friday skating in the Medal Winners Open.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I noticed that next Saturday NBC has 2 hours in the afternoon and 3 in the evening devoted to skating. ...

NBC's Saturday programming will include three hours of skating in the afternoon -- plus three more in the evening.

GF2445

Record Breaker
NBC's Saturday programming will include three hours of skating in the afternoon -- plus three more in the evening.

Well. I think that people are slowly beginning to notice figure skating again. People responded very well to last year's nationals (i think us figure skating won an award for the best organised national championships in 2015).

Also, since skating is both extremely popular in Asia (and that does rub off a little in multicultural countries) and that The US still has really strong skaters has also helped.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well. I think that people are slowly beginning to notice figure skating again. People responded very well to last year's nationals (i think us figure skating won an award for the best organised national championships in 2015).

Also, since skating is both extremely popular in Asia (and that does rub off a little in multicultural countries) and that The US still has really strong skaters has also helped.

Just want to be clear that NBC's 2016 coverage of Nats competition is not more extensive than in recent years past.

My previous post merely was giving a factual correction as to the number of hours of NBC programming on Saturday.

For 2014, 2015, and 2016, the number of hours of NBC coverage for Nats competition has been exactly the same: three hours on Saturday afternoon + three hours on Saturday evening + two hours on Sunday afternoon.

(I don't know about earlier years. And I'm not counting time devoted to preview shows and gala broadcasts.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't remember that they had a full hour preview show the week before, though. Is this new, or is my memory at fault?

Not new. Last year, NBC had two preview hours. Two separate preview shows, each lasting one hour.

(And I will repeat that my earlier post was merely a response to slider's inaccurate mention that NBC will have two hours of skating on Saturday afternoon. Was only making a correction that NBC will have three hours of skating on Saturday afternoon, as it did in 2014 and 2015.
I for one am not trying to point out any change in NBC's programming hours showing actual competition -- because there is no change. I was careful to refer above to "coverage of Nats competition" -- not simply "coverage of Nats.")

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Mirai was mentioned in the preview show: "don't count her out" and I believe it was Tara who said she still "has the goods".

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
In Japan, there is live coverage of the Senior Men's and Ladies' competitions on J-Sports 4. Dance and Pairs don't really exist in Japan, of course... :p (well, they will show Dance and Pairs, but it will be some time later)

Friday 11:00am Ladies SP live (4 hours), repeated at 7:00pm (4 hours)

Saturday 10:30am Mens SP live (4 hours), repeated at 7:00pm (4 hours)

Sunday 09:00 Ladies FS live (5 hours), repeated at 6:00pm (5 hours)

Monday 4:00am Mens FS live (5 hours), repeated at 6:00pm (5 hours)

Those are local Japanese times.
http://www.jsports.co.jp/program_guide/month/english/

Subscription channel, but they show a lot of figure skating.
DVR and Slingbox in Japan FTW...!

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Here's the demonstration of the new 'graphics':

2016 U.S. Nationals - New TES Graphics
https://youtu.be/12x3wSMXhFQ

And the only real fluff piece used for the preview show:

Chock/Bates
https://youtu.be/xxoFd1Rs79c

Thank you for the links! I think this is an interesting move, to try to get the viewers more involved in the scoring process. As for myself, I think I like it...but I'll have to see how it works out during nationals :laugh:

Thanks to @sabinfire for the Youtube links to portions of the NBC 2016 preview show. I missed it on tv yesterday. I was wondering whether there is a video clip of men's preview, as I couldn't find it on the NBC website?

Regarding the new TES graphics, I was never in love with the old graphics, but I found it possible to block it out while watching. I definitely don't like the idea of having the box become huger with all these numbers in different colors. Even with just the former graphics, it's always distracting from being able to simply appreciate the skaters' programs. I can get caught up in checking the box after every element and becoming distracting wondering when the numbers are going to show up for what the skater just did, as the numbers lag behind. It totally takes away from the viewing experience especially when rooting for a skater and worrying about their need to build up their numbers. I just don't find it helpful to be distracted like that during performances. Oftentimes commentary can be distracting too, although sometimes very good commentators can add to the viewing pleasure, but that tends to be rare these days.

I think the idea of providing more TES information and reminding viewers the name of the skater who has the previous highest tech score is good, except that I think the bulk of this information should be provided immediately after skaters' performances, so as not to take so much away from performances being broken up into a series of elements, which is the problem with IJS to begin with. Too much by the numbers rather than a unified program/ performance.

I have enjoyed and looked forward to watching TSL very much, but in looking at their recent Nationals preview show, I found their giggly style to suddenly grate on my nerves. By this point, I suppose maybe I have J&D overload with the silliness, and constant dish, and them interrupting themselves and each other. It was hard to follow their actual Nationals preview comments, which didn't amount to any scintillating or gutsy analysis to have been worth watching them. J&D to me are a bit overly giggly and gossipy as they have grown in popularity with an attentive fan base. And since they are becoming chatty friends with all the skaters, their commentary in general has seemed to pull back from being as interesting and informative as it has been. In general, in their recent preview discussion, they spouted a predictable line with occasional snark and too many dishy asides. By now, it seems as if their interviews are more interesting (but even then they have room for improving their interview skills).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here's the entire preview show (though disappointing overall compared to last year):

2016 U.S. Nationals - Preview Show Part 1 (Men / Dance)
https://youtu.be/TTdbYhu3utw

2016 U.S. Nationals - Preview Show Part 2 (Ladies / Pairs)
https://youtu.be/egjuDe9XlEg

Thanks to @sabinfire for the Youtube links to portions of the NBC 2016 preview show. I missed it on tv yesterday. I was wondering whether there is a video clip of men's preview, as I couldn't find it on the NBC website? ....

Art&Sport, see the links in the post from sabinfire that I have quoted.

Thanks as always to sabinfire :bow: for all the videos.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I have enjoyed and looked forward to watching TSL very much, but in looking at their recent Nationals preview show, I found their giggly style to suddenly grate on my nerves. By this point, I suppose maybe I have J&D overload with the silliness, and constant dish, and them interrupting themselves and each other. It was hard to follow their actual Nationals preview comments, which didn't amount to any scintillating or gutsy analysis to have been worth watching them. J&D to me are a bit overly giggly and gossipy as they have grown in popularity with an attentive fan base. And since they are becoming chatty friends with all the skaters, their commentary in general has seemed to pull back from being as interesting and informative as it has been. In general, in their recent preview discussion, they spouted a predictable line with occasional snark and too many dishy asides. By now, it seems as if their interviews are more interesting (but even then they have room for improving their interview skills).

I agree with you re: TSL, plus all their childish shrieking and screaming is downright headache-inducing. I can't think of another podcast or Youtube show where I have to constantly fiddle with the volume so that I can hear them one moment and avoid splitting my eardrums in the next. But the biased, predictable content isn't even worth the bother any more (apart from the interviews).

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ Thanks so much for posting @golden411icecoverage. I guess it's silly to expect anything interesting to be said on these shows. That's one reason why I have liked TSL's slant on bringing us up-close and personal interviews with skaters and coaches, in which we have a better opportunity to get to know skaters. So much more in-depth than the networks' fluff pieces have ever been.

I have to say it is just so obvious that USFS works closely with NBC and the skating commentators to get out what the U.S. federation's skinny/ preferences are. It's quite clear, especially since the skaters who do have opportunities but are not seen as top favorites are given short shrift. NBC really could have and should have done a much better job with the all of the discussion, particularly for men. They don't even mention the injuries to Josh Farris and Richard Dornbush. Most of the focus is on Max Aaron, who I feel is likely to win too, but in honesty, anything is possible. Not really enough was said about Adam Rippon either. And what about guys like Grant, who performed well on the GP, and he has a quad. Ross Miner has some great programs this year, and Tim Dolensky at his best is a wonderful performer. NBC really should offer us more, particularly if they ever have any hopes of broadening their audience base in the U.S. It is the die-hard fans really who know more about the sport and the skaters than the networks have ever provided.

It seems that USFS preferred to skip over the coincidence and seriousness of four top U.S. men's skaters out with injuries. And they didn't mention Jeremy and what he's doing now. I think this kind of limited surface coverage is sad and offers very little to encourage growth of viewership in the United States. People don't understand the sport, and creating new graphics isn't going to help either, unless you are a fan who already has been following the sport. I guess we can expect more of the party line drivel in terms of commentary, on the IceNetwork wrap-up shows.

I am interested in tuning into the Skate Radio broadcasts during NBC's coverage, since I haven't heard them before.

ETA:
Again, I'm disappointed with most of the coverage but as a skating fan, I guess it is par for the course, and our expectations should always be low regarding enlightening and engaging coverage. I had hoped that Johnny and Tara could bring something extra, but they are working for a corporation and simply have to fall into the corporate culture way of doing things, which is about adhering to middle track and not going out on a limb to be too provocative, thoughtfully investigative, or to do anything different at all to show what really makes the sport so fascinating. This is especially true with ice dance and pairs where Chock/Bates and Scimeca/Knierim are shoo-ins because they are seen as having the best standing internationally. Yes, it's true that these teams have had the best showing on international stage, but that's also because they have been supported and encouraged after S/K in particular got the quad twist and with C/B's coach having huge standing and C/B for years being seen as the heirs apparent. C/B haven't done a whole lot this season to justify being runaway favorites though. You can tell they are being pumped up because they are the only ones with a fluff piece. I find it so galling because the Shibs have had a fantastic season and are being relegated to, "Oh, they will be the audience favorites," but wink wink, they have no chance to win. The whole figure skating political scene to me is just hurl worthy.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
I agree with you re: TSL, plus all their childish shrieking and screaming is downright headache-inducing. I can't think of another podcast or Youtube show where I have to constantly fiddle with the volume so that I can hear them one moment and avoid splitting my eardrums in the next. But the biased, predictable content isn't even worth the bother any more (apart from the interviews).

Yep, the Blade Boys broadcast/ hosts from Canada, at this point, I find much more professional. Blade Boys have pulled down some interesting on the fly interviews at various events this season too, in particular with Marie-France Dubreuil and Tom Z, posted on Youtube.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yep, the Blade Boys broadcast/ hosts from Canada, at this point, I find much more professional. Blade Boys have pulled down some interesting on the fly interviews at various events this season too, in particular with Marie-France Dubreuil and Tom Z, posted on Youtube.

I would call them more polite but i don't know i would call them more professional as their quality can be questionable. I can be forgiving for a bit giving they are new, but I find how different their two cameras look to be rather distracting. I find the visual more distracting than the audio issues. If they can't get that improved they may want to rethink using the side by side format and maybe play around with some idea that might make it less harsh.

Also their interviews were very casual... but in a good way.

Still I enjoy both the Blade Boys and TSL, and am glad both exist. I enjoy Dave and Jennys playful energy and enjoy the relaxing voices of The Blade Boys.