Polina Edmunds at Nationals | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds at Nationals

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have been thinking about her and how much her sp was an inprovement in some key ways. Then I think freeskate and the air just leeks out of my dream.

While Gracie Ashley likely have one two on the podium what do people really think about Polina?

I seemed to have been more enthused at the outset of her career. Dioes her height go against her? Should this girl be a nyc ballet star?

How do the jump experts, pcs experts, transitions wonks feel about how she compares with Gold and top Russian gals? BesidesMirai maybe, who is her biggest threat for Bronze medal this year? Hicks, Chen?-

I really thought this season was pivotal and while I like this girl with long balletic legs and lovely arms I see no fire in that freeskate. She misses valuable time with a bad LP. Not to belabor but
I hope she skates perfectly with big scores. I truly was so impressed with her senior debut.

What do you all feel Polina must do to to have the narrative change from Gracie Ashley to maybe Gracie Polina!

Edited to add post NATIONALS: Polina,s strong skate may have changed the narrative to Gracie Polina going forward.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She has skill and is fairy pretty to watch but to me she does not excite me but she is fairly consistent and thus is a threat to earn the third berth to worlds.

concorde

Medalist
After 2014, I had really high expectations for Polina. I really expected that by now, she would have overtaken both Gracie and Ashley as the #1 lady. Then last year Polina had me scratching my head. Yes she did well (won 4CC) but she did not make the improvements that I was expecting. I think some of my issues are technical but mostly they are overall packaging issues. I feel her packaging does not know if she is still a child or a young lady. And this mixed impression comes across in her skating.

MasterB

Final Flight
She needs to attack the jumps more, they are just too feathery. Her LPs all look the same, if you go back and watch her programs from 2013, 2014, 2015 and now 2016 they are all the same theme (snoozers and forgetable). She does have long limbs but, so did Hughes and she had attack and spark.

moriel

Record Breaker
Her overall packaging in pretty meh compared to other US ladies.
Also, her programs lack a wow factor, both TES and PCs wise. Somehow, she fails to impress, to give a performance that people will remember.

Imho, her chance was last season and this season, and she blew it up with more than average long programs and lack of development.

frida80

Record Breaker
I never say never. Ashley was Considered out all the time and she changed all that in 2012. I think Polina still has a chance. But first of all she needs to grow up. Not just with her package, including her music, choreography and her outfits. But her skating as well. She needs to skate with more attack. She needs to work on rotating her jumps more consistently. But most of all she needs to deliver a program that makes people want to watch her and not want to fall asleep.

I think she relies too much on her natural grace and doesn't really develop her long programs. Her GWTW program is another lost opportunity. Just a personality change would being so much to the program.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it is possibly a mistake to judge Polina by this year's content; she will likely be a top flight US skater for many years to come. Given her success so far, (Olympics, 4CC etc), she IMV has tremendous potential; the current short program is a standout, she is attempting to stretch herself technically & artistically in the long, she has come thru her growth spurt with dignity and grace, and has a healthy competitive psychology: what's not to like? Most fans, I think, rally behind "the next big thing", don't like to be disappointed - a fair-weather pov - which tends to reduce the sport and make skaters like Polina expendable b/f their time - something we fans of American figure skating really cannot afford to do. Polina's doing just fine and I hope against hope she does super well at Nationals. As for being too tall, I believe Carolina Kostner is taller, has a long wonderful track record in the sport, started young, and enjoys the support of her country without reservation, the current ban notwithstanding. Let's give Polina the same backing and support here and time will tell.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think she is so lowballed. I didn't see a big excitement about her winning the 4CC title, but most of people moaned about Gracie's fallout a big time. After Polina got called on all of her flips at Worlds last season, she came back with a corrected flip edge after her hard work during the off season. That is a big improvement from the last season and hard to fix, but almost none appreciated that.

humbaba

Final Flight
Polina is only seventeen. Last year year she grew a lot, but weathered her growth spurt fairly well. She still managed to win 4CC and make the world team. It would be very premature to write her off at this point. Barring unforeseen circumstances, Polina has many years of skating left. I've got my fingers crossed for her and would love to see her on the podium at US nationals.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm glad this thread was started, I was just thinking about her yesterday. I think this year's short is a big improvement in style. But there is just something inside the girl holding her back. And to be quite honest, I think it's working with her mother. I read recently (I believe on a facebook group) that the two bicker in practice. I know that I love my momma, but could never survive such an intense training situation with that same kind of love intact. I think mom has a vision for Polina, it it just may not be in line with what judges and fans want to see. I think Polina needs a complete relocation and overhaul, because the talent is there. I was so enthused for her when she burst on to the scene in 13 and 14, and she's just been so lackluster since then. I would love to see what a year with Kori and Rohene could do for her, or maybe Yuka and Jason. But for now, I just don't think her system is working.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina still doesn't skate with a lot of power or speed and it especially shows when she goes into her jumps and she still gets called for underrotated jumps at times. She also telegraphs her jumps. She needs a fun upbeat program like her SP in the Olympic year. She really had fun with the Cha Cha Cha program and showed she has range as a performer but since then it's been nothing but dreary ponderous music and programs.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina was yet another 15-year-old who exploded onto the senior circuit before she went through the emotional and physical challenges that all girls are faced with. Of course girls without breasts and hips will have to re-tool their jumps, etc. In the present IJS system, the young phenoms go through all that in the public eye.

Polina needs time. It's ironic that the sport of figure skating used to build that time in, but now skaters and their teams have to navigate it individually. Tara Lipinski won her Olympic gold before puberty hit; but she wouldn't be allowed to skate in the Olympics under the current age minimum.

I agree with Jenny and Dave, who suggested that Polina needs to figure out whether she wants this on her own, or it's her mother's dream. And probably a coaching change, fresh eyes looking at Polina's strengths, would help. Also, Polina looks like a ballerina, but she doesn't stretch out and follow the movement through arms, fingers and then with the eyes. She'll need to learn to take command of the ice with those long limbs. (I think Kostner had to learn this over time as well.) But I agree that part of what doesn't connect, is whatever inner fire motivates Polina.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have mixed feelings about Polina this season. I really like her SP but her LP is a snooze like others have said. Packaging aside, she's got a few challenges besides her UR issue and the fact that she skates slow. She's got a lot of talent but needs more time to become the full package and a top lady skater.

I keep waiting for the butterfly to emerge, so to speak, but until then I can't get too excited about her. She's been with her team for so long but maybe take a break from Rudy and try a new choreographer?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Do Yuka and Jason still coach together? Do they have any elites left? For some reason I thought she went back to Japan to coach with her father?

I knew they divorced and think they said they would still work together but I wonder if that actually is happening. I enjoyed their pair skating almost as much as Yuka as a single.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thoughts on her in a nutshell:

I think she is in true danger of missing out on Boston Worlds. She may get by with the status quo, but must consider that if Hicks or Chen delivers, they will likely beat her. Fortunately for her, both have proven to be hit-and-miss, so there's a chance. But it's never good to rely on others' mistakes...gotta step it up too.

The only scenario I see where she wins is if it's a poorly skated event in general, and she remains upright. Like 4CC last year.

Looking forward, it's anyone's guess how she will turn out, or whether she will even stick around (once out of high school, does she go straight to college?) - but for now, she's treading water.

desertskates

Medalist
Do Yuka and Jason still coach together? Do they have any elites left? For some reason I thought she went back to Japan to coach with her father?

I knew they divorced and think they said they would still work together but I wonder if that actually is happening. I enjoyed their pair skating almost as much as Yuka as a single.

I didn't realize any of that had gone down! The fact that they don't have any current big names is what made me think of them for Polina. They did such a great job with Alissa. Too bad about the divorce, they seemed so good together.

Last edited:

winky97

Medalist

I think Yuka is still in Detroit coaching.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yuka was in Detroit in July when I was there. Since Jeremy Abbott has actually retired, I guess she would still be considered his coach.

I like Polina a lot and was pleased to see she corrected the edge on her flip jump. Don't think she had one call on it in either competition. However, and it is worse than the edge on the flip, is that she is now under rotating quite often. She had multiple calls in both FS and 1 SP. It may be because she is skating so slowly into the jumps. She and her team really need to work on this and I pray they have already begun. As we've seen with Ashley W. and Mirai, once the under rotating becomes a habit it is very hard to correct.

I am sorry about the mistake I made in my comments about Yuka. I should have said "Since Jeremy Abbott has NOT actually retired...."

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I think Yuka is still in Detroit coaching.

I did see her on TV with Nobuo Sato at Japanese Nationals. Maybe she went home to help her parents out over the holidays, or perhaps she'd choreographed for one of the skaters?