Russian Vs American...ladies. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Vs American...ladies.

E

Emerald2000

Re: Excidra

I would also like to add that I DO think the Russian/American ladies are the strongest of their field. (Hence the 1/2 placings at worlds.)

D

DORISPULASKI

Vika et al

For those who say they don't ever see Vika on a World's podium, consider, what would you have said about Elena last year? Vika is considerably younger than Elena. Don't give up on her yet!!!

As to why we saw Japanese and not Russian younger ladies: The Japanese young ladies were very visible at JGPF and J Worlds. The Russian young ladies were not. Plus they appear in force at 4C's and NHK. At Europeans, the competition is greater and we just don't get to see as many of the competitors as I like! Plus, like Americans at 4C's, the Russians sometimes find an excuse to skip Europeans if they don't need it.

dpp

J

Jaana

Re: Vika et al

Vika is only about 2 years younger than Sokolova, could that be called considerably younger? Volchova will be 21 in July and Sokola had her 23rd birthday in February.

I would say that Russians very much tend to participate at Europeans, and are not skipping it, generally speaking. That competitions acts as qualification for the Worlds. The Russian Nationals are seen as a qualification for the Europeans.

Marjaana

D

DORISPULASKI

When you want to say someone can't skate worlds until what is it, 15, 16, and that they are too old at 21, 2 years is one third of a career. It is considerable.

dpp

E

Excidra2001

Doris,

I agree with you about Vika. But Russian's (even say most top European skaters) are always there to compete at the European championships. When was the last time a Russian skater decided to sit out of Europeans because he/she did not care to participate? I can't think of any.
You can take Irina for a example.. She was overjoyed and kind of tear eyed when she realized she won her 5th European title.

J

Joesitz

Excidra - I believe 4C was set up to match Euros. Given the size of the ocean between Asia and N.America and another if we consider Africa, not going to the competition is understandable delpending on where it is. Euros on the other hand are a train ride away.

Joe

M

MSI83

Vika

I wouldn't give up on Volchkova either. I think she can be a world medalist, if she improves on her overall consistency. She reminds me a bit of Maria B, and Nancy Kerrigan. Both would just go out in their Lp's, start good, and give up midway. Maria finally got it together at 1999 worlds, and Nancy in Lillehammer. Both were older than Volchkova as well.