Venue in Paris is Accorhotels Arena, Bercy | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Venue in Paris is Accorhotels Arena, Bercy

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Yesway, this is a little off topic, but do you know the rules regarding photos at Trophee Eric Bompbard? Can you use big lenses like 70-200 f 2.8?
I'm not aware of any restrictions on taking photos at past events... other than they surely won't allow commercial/pro use of any photos you take, without a media accreditation or somesuch. Maybe worth asking FFSG by email, or on farcebook, if you want to be sure?

My only advice is to consider your neighbours when choosing what to bring, and when taking photographs. 70-200 is about 20cm long, and internal zoom, isn't it? (It doesn't extend when you zoom?). I don't think that would be intrusive. I'd leave the lens hood off to keep it as short as possible though - I've never used a lens hood for figure skating, and it's never been a problem. If you have a choice of bodies, your neighbours will appreciate you bringing the one with the quietest shutter...!

Personally, I'll be using a micro-four-thirds camera, 40-150mm f2.8 lens (80-300mm equivalent). Extremely capable equipment, but very compact and doesn't look "pro" to the untrained eye :-D It's more likely to pass any restrictions that might be in place, wherever I go. The camera body I've been using eg. at Finlandia has an extemely quiet shutter (Panasonic GX80)... but I just a got a new body this week that's even quieter (Panasonic G80)...

Since I'm staying at the hotel next to the arena... I'll probably bring my tiny 45-175mm f4-f5.6 lens (90-350mm equivalent), and my old Panasonic FZ1000 25-400mm f2.8-f4 superzoom as backups. Then if there should be any problems this year, I can pop back to the hotel and swap in 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I'm not aware of any restrictions on taking photos at past events... other than they surely won't allow commercial/pro use of any photos you take, without a media accreditation or somesuch. Maybe worth asking FFSG by email, or on farcebook, if you want to be sure?

My only advice is to consider your neighbours when choosing what to bring, and when taking photographs. 70-200 is about 20cm long, and internal zoom, isn't it? (It doesn't extend when you zoom?). I don't think that would be intrusive. I'd leave the lens hood off to keep it as short as possible though - I've never used a lens hood for figure skating, and it's never been a problem. If you have a choice of bodies, your neighbours will appreciate you bringing the one with the quietest shutter...!

Personally, I'll be using a micro-four-thirds camera, 40-150mm f2.8 lens (80-300mm equivalent). Extremely capable equipment, but very compact and doesn't look "pro" to the untrained eye :-D It's more likely to pass any restrictions that might be in place, wherever I go. The camera body I've been using eg. at Finlandia has an extemely quiet shutter (Panasonic GX80)... but I just a got a new body this week that's even quieter (Panasonic G80)...

Since I'm staying at the hotel next to the arena... I'll probably bring my tiny 45-175mm f4-f5.6 lens (90-350mm equivalent), and my old Panasonic FZ1000 25-400mm f2.8-f4 superzoom as backups. Then if there should be any problems this year, I can pop back to the hotel and swap in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for your comment. I researched the site and found this information which was very discouraging.

Quoted from http://www.accorhotelsarena.com/en/content/can-i-take-photos-auditorium-do-you-allow-cameras

Cameras aren't allowed into the AccorHotels Arena. But to let you take home a souvenir of your visit to the AccorHotels Arena, we tolerate compact, bridge and small disposable cameras with no flash.

Reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses are considered as professional cameras and so are strictly prohibited.

In some cases, the event promoter doesn't allow any cameras. In this specific case, deposit facilities will be provided to store your cameras securely during the show.

Anyone who breaks these rules will be asked to leave the auditorium.

Are you aware of any information to the contrary?

I really wanted to go but the combination of having no seats on the judges side, eyeing a potential railing to look over, the seats being up several meters from the ice, no access to practices and most importantly no DSLR cameras with detachable lenses, I regretfully think I will have to give this a miss. It just sounds too risky and prohibitive.

Maybe a bridge camera would be marginal, but it surely doesn't hold a candle to the low light capabilities or sharp focus of a DSLR with a fast zoom lens.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Are you aware of any information to the contrary?
I believe those are the "general" or "default" rules for the arena, that mainly apply to concerts etc. You'll find similar rules (often harsher actually) at eg. US arenas, but they may be relaxed for specific events. USFS are pretty clear on photography rules for figure skating events - and I don't think they are generally as restrictive as the "default" arena rules.

As I said, I haven't had any problems at TEB in the past, but then - I don't use gear that's too big or "pro" looking... ^_^;

Maybe a bridge camera would be marginal, but it surely doesn't hold a candle to the low light capabilities or sharp focus of a DSLR with a fast zoom lens.
Well, certain bridge cameras are pretty good these days... I used bridge cameras for all my figure skating photos until just this year, because they are small and quiet and I want to minimise disturbance for my neighbours. I've been very happy with those results.

Sure, you don't get the dynamic range, and they're not as detailed and pin-sharp as a good DSLR in the hands of an expert... but at screen sizes, and prints up to A4... it doesn't really matter much. Only gear-heads want to zoom into photos to count eyelashes... everybody else just wants to click through a gallery, picture by picture, at screen size.

I am of the view that if the imagery in a photo doesn't still look good when reduced to 1080 screen size (or even 768 or 600)... then the picture was rubbish to begin with! It might be sharp and detailed rubbish... but rubbish all the same :-D

So, I don't feel the need for full-size DSLR gear. (Despite using film SLR's for half my life, and DSLR's for a great many years after that. I sold all that stuff a long time ago... never going back...)

I really wanted to go but the combination of having no seats on the judges side, eyeing a potential railing to look over, the seats being up several meters from the ice, no access to practices and most importantly no DSLR cameras with detachable lenses, I regretfully think I will have to give this a miss. It just sounds too risky and prohibitive.
It has to be said, TEB in the past has not been the best place for photography.

Yes, the seats have been a few meters back from the rink, and raised a few meters above it too... but I don't have an issue with that. Railings generally not a problem either.

Rather, the problems have been:
a) poor lighting in that arena... however, it has been refurbished since the last TEB was held there, so maybe it is improved.
b) not being able to sit on the judges side. Still plenty of good photo opportunities, but yes - you may miss iconic choreography aimed at the judges.

Personally, "non-optimal opportunities" for photographing that particular skater... are better than not being there at all, and having no opportunity! And in this particular case, when the event is so close to home... I'd go there to watch that particular skater even if they banned cameras altogether (like they do in Japan o_O)...

Is taking photos really so important, that you'd pass up the chance to see your favourite skater in person?!

PS. I already got judges-side photos of her, at Finlandia! It will actually be good to get photos from the other side as well! :-D

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I believe those are the "general" or "default" rules for the arena, that mainly apply to concerts etc. You'll find similar rules (often harsher actually) at eg. US arenas, but they may be relaxed for specific events. USFS are pretty clear on photography rules for figure skating events - and I don't think they are generally as restrictive as the "default" arena rules.

As I said, I haven't had any problems at TEB in the past, but then - I don't use gear that's too big or "pro" looking... ^_^;

Well, certain bridge cameras are pretty good these days... I used bridge cameras for all my figure skating photos until just this year, because they are small and quiet and I want to minimise disturbance for my neighbours. I've been very happy with those results.

Sure, you don't get the dynamic range, and they're not as detailed and pin-sharp as a good DSLR in the hands of an expert... but at screen sizes, and prints up to A4... it doesn't really matter much. Only gear-heads want to zoom into photos to count eyelashes... everybody else just wants to click through a gallery, picture by picture, at screen size.

I am of the view that if the imagery in a photo doesn't still look good when reduced to 1080 screen size (or even 768 or 600)... then the picture was rubbish to begin with! It might be sharp and detailed rubbish... but rubbish all the same :-D

So, I don't feel the need for full-size DSLR gear. (Despite using film SLR's for half my life, and DSLR's for a great many years after that. I sold all that stuff a long time ago... never going back...)

Yes, the seats have been a few meters back from the rink, and raised a few meters above it too... but I don't have an issue with that. Railings generally not a problem either.

a) poor lighting in that arena... however, it has been refurbished since the last TEB was held there, so maybe it is improved.
b) not being able to sit on the judges side. Still plenty of good photo opportunities, but yes - you may miss iconic choreography aimed at the judges.

Personally, "non-optimal opportunities" for photographing that particular skater... are better than not being there at all, and having no opportunity! And in this particular case, when the event is so close to home... I'd go there to watch that particular skater even if they banned cameras altogether (like they do in Japan o_O)...

Is taking photos really so important, that you'd pass up the chance to see your favourite skater in person?!

PS. I already got judges-side photos of her, at Finlandia! It will actually be good to get photos from the other side as well! :-D

Yes, I understand what you are saying. Of course if Paris were close I would definitely go. But, it is a long way, expensive and would require rearranging my plans for my time off. So, I guess I was looking for an added incentive to dish out the dough. But, there may not be many chances left, so I will think about it. By the way, I make no claims to know a lot about photography. I just read a lot that bridge cameras weren't that great in low light. But if they do alright, I wish I had one.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
just read a lot that bridge cameras weren't that great in low light. But if they do alright, I wish I had one.
Well, depends on your point of view... bridge cameras aren't that great compared to a DSLR, in terms of absolute image quality.

But certain models are pretty good, image quality has steadily improved as the years have gone by. You can buy ones with autofocus and speed of operation comparable to DSLR's (or even better than entry-level DSLR's). Some have long-reach lenses that are pretty fast eg. f2.8, or f2.8-f4 etc, and 1" sensors... better in low light than you might think...

It's a question of how much image quality do you actually need? As I've said, if you only view at screen sizes and print A4 or smaller... certain bridge cameras are more than enough. Actually, my main camera for general purposes and walk-around, is a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera - high performance and speed, excellent image quality, and incredibly versatile... yet compact and lightweight. And I've used it for figure skating a lot too eg. last year at GP final and most of my other galleries from 2014-2015...

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More 1st/2nd row seating went up for Friday and Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist

You are persuasive. Do exhibition programs begin with the skater facing the judges' side? Or to be more specific, does Mao always begin her exhibitions facing the judges' side? Though of course, there are no judges for an exhibition.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
You are persuasive. Do exhibition programs begin with the skater facing the judges' side? Or to be more specific, does Mao always begin her exhibitions facing the judges' side? Though of course, there are no judges for an exhibition.
Hmm. In my experience... many skaters still tend to favour the judges side, but not so much as the competitions, and not all skaters...

Mao specifically, I don't know - maybe you should see what she does at Skate America this weekend? Assuming she skates in the exhibition...

noidont

Final Flight
I might be completely stupid but I just can't seem to get to the page to create an account on the accorhotel ticketing site. It's frustrating as hell. Does anyone know how to? Every time I get to the page after "valider" I get to a page that tells me to create an account but doesn't have anywhere to go after that.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I might be completely stupid but I just can't seem to get to the page to create an account on the accorhotel ticketing site. It's frustrating as hell. Does anyone know how to? Every time I get to the page after "valider" I get to a page that tells me to create an account but doesn't have anywhere to go after that.
If you are trying to create an account as part of the ticket-buying process, perhaps it will work better if you create your account first (and log in)... before trying to buy tickets?

Once you have an account, you can log in using "Mon Compte" link near the top of the page.

By the way, if you prefer English - click the British flag near the top-right of the page...

Esopian

Final Flight
Today I went to Fnac and bought tickets to the first day of competition on Friday for the short program! I'm really excited since it's the first Grand Prix event I'm attending live! :agree: Also can't wait until the Grand Prix Final in Marseille which I'm going to as well, it's sure a great time to be in France for figure skating events.

Edit: I thought about how great the opportunity is to watch this entire competition live and I couldn't resist and bought tickets for Saturday's men/ladies free skate and also to the gala! Quite expensive but worth it for the occasion ;)

Last edited: