Medalist
I know it's still very early but who are your favourites for the gold

1. Polina Tsurkaskaya
2. Evgenia Medvedeva
3. Satoko Miyahara/3rd Russian Lady/ Ashley Wagner

Watch out for:
Gracie Gold
Marin Honda

I've been watching skating for Years and I am in awe of Polina Tsurkaskaya.
I think when she skates perfectly , she has the potential to be the greatest ladies figure skater ever.
She skates with so much musicality, grace and poise . Nothing is over the top. Her lines and posture are to die for. She skates with so much jump in the jump. She is beautiful! I was watching her Game of Thrones Sp and you know all the other girls watch out, Polina maybe the one to beat in Pyongchang.

Evgenia is phenomenal as well- I am not the biggest fan of her type of artistry but I am a huge fan of her mental strength ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins gold as well.

There are so many talented Russians gunning for that 3rd spot. Russian Nationals will be one of the most anticipated and greatest showdowns in figure skating.

christinaskater

Medalist
Ashley Wagner is just getting better and better. No one can sell a program quite like her.
A part of me believes that on the biggest of stages- Gracie can actually deliver! We'll see about that in Pyeongchang.
One of my dark horses to win or medal is Marin Honda. This girl Has so much star power. Marin like Polina have been plagued with consistency issues this year, but this girl also has the "IT" factor.

The consistent little Queen- the amazing pocket rocket Satoko Miyahara is also phenomenal! She is also one of the faves to win or medal ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

christinaskater

Medalist
What i love about Polina is she literally becomes the music. Each movement is finished not frantic. She is nuanced and classic! Purist adore her .

andromache

Record Breaker
Can someone make a reality tv show of Eteri's rink during the Olympic season? I'd watch it even without English subtitles - I'm sure the death glares will be all we need. :biggrin:

Polina Tsurskaya versus Evgenia - with Satoko/Anna to play spoilers in case either of the two favorites make mistakes.

Then again, I'm not certain how stable Evgenia's jumps will be by then. The uber-consistent technique used by Yulia, Evgenia, and Elena where the girls jump as much with their arms as their legs isn't sustainable through significant body changes. That's why the ladies with long, successful careers and admired jump technique (Yuna and Carolina, for example) still sometimes make mistakes regardless of mental strength.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What I would want:
1) Mao
2) Wagner
3) Sotnikova (plus a team gold for her)
What I think:
1) Medvedeva
2) Gold (I think she may randomly put it all together)
3) Whoever the second best Russian is at the time

christinaskater

Medalist
Gracie is still young. Her name puts too much pressure on her
I reckon she needs to get a new coach, a technical coach and get the best choreographer in the world
She needs more ballet training and modern dance training.
She needs the best sports psychologist in the US.
At the end of the day , she should enjoy and relax ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
She has so much potential .

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I gave a similar answer to earlier on the similar themed thread titled like "super early prediction";

1. Polina Tsurskaya of course although she looked to have struggles after her injuries and growth spurts this season, but I think she will be good by the time Jr. Worlds. I'm so looking forward to this Russian Nationals. She has jumps, skills, and presence. At this point, her weakness is spins, but she will get them improved as long as she stays HEALTHY.

2. Gracie Gold; I said this too earlier but at this point I know this may look really funny. However, I still can't think of anyone else who has more greater potential than her if she hits all the elements in the current field. Although her Japan Open outing was disappointing, FS program has a lot of potential to be successful. Everyone seem to be bothered by Gracie's robust windmill arms, but Medvedeva's effusive arms to her jumps (not just her ugly tanos in the air) are more painful to watch for me. I personally love Ashley's tenacity and way of presentation, so were super excited for her World silver, but I have to admit her abilities are kind of limited unless she improves her basics and URs dramatically less than in one and a half year.

3. Satoko Miyahara or Anna Pogorilaya or somebody else probably among Japanese ladies.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I bet on one of the Russian ladies: Evgenia, Polina, or Anna.
Marin could also shine given the right timing

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I swear there was a thread just like this a few months ago!
Anyway, I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of Tsurskaya, Medvedeva, or Honda.
Although I'm not sure Honda will be able to rack up the reputation (aka program component scores) in time, since even if she turns senior next year, she won't have much time to get that component score boost (like Medvedeva did) before Pyeongchang in February.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
lol my dream podium would be Asada, Honda and Sotnikova (or Pogorilaya)! I can dream on since it is never gonna happen in a million years as none of those skaters are sure or expected to even qualify for the OG.

Pretty sure that if she doesn't get injured in this year and a half, Medvedeva is gonna win it. I don't expect her to crumble.

noskates

Record Breaker
It's too early for me to even think about this. So much can happen between now and the Olys. Maybe a better question is who do you think will shine at Worlds in 2017.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's too soon to predict the Olympics. We have to wait and see how Tsurkaya and Honda do over the next 16 months. We have to see if Gracie Gold can overcome her nerves or if Liza T (or Mao for that matter) can do a consistent triple axel. We have to see if any of the top skaters are affected by injuries. Check back a year from next December and I'll give my views.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ask me after Nationals. It's too soon to tell and I haven't seen how some of the younger girls are looking. I still have to wait and see how Courtney looks this weekend. I still haven't seen Polina and IMO, she has the most potential of the 20 and under group. Along with Mariah Bell, things are looking good for the US. However, things are looking good in several countries. Canada, Russia, and Japan all have stars that are 20 years old or younger.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Six weird podiums, as food for thought:

1. Mao Asada
2. Wakaba Higuchi
3. Polina Edmunds

Or

1. Anna Pogorilaya
2. Ashley Wagner
3. Elizabet Tursynbaeva

Or

1. Gracie Gold
2. Polina Tsurskaya
3. Marin Honda

Or

1. Rika Kihara
2. Yulia Lipnitskaya
3. Na Hyun Kim

Or

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Evgenia Medvedeva
3. Maria Sotskova

Or

1. Alisa Fedichkina
2. Eun Soo Lim
3. Kaori Sakamoto

I like being weird! :biggrin:

MalAssada

Medalist
Right now, I cannot even predict GPs... I will start predicting the Olympics by the time GPF 2017 happens.