Random Confessions | Page 108 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

phoinos

Rinkside
I just bought tickets to Skate America. My mom is flying in from the midwest to go with me. I'm really excited to both get to show her more of the pacific northwest and go to my first international competition (she is also a lifelong skating fan and has not been to a major comp either).
I've got tickets too. Skate America 2018 is going to be the first competition I've ever seen live. I'm looking forward to it! :hap93:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haha, that happens to me all the time, only I'm actually ethnically Russian (and look rather stereotypical, heels, makeup, etc.), so sometimes they'll just pick me out of a crowd in the Eastern European market or something and start chatting away without me saying anything first. I'll tell them that I hardly speak any Russian, and I think sometimes they don't believe me or think I must speak more than I realize. :laugh:

I admit, I would probably be one of those people that, if they saw somebody of a certain ethnicity, I would automatically assume that they spoke the language that went along with it.

But, at the same time, I know how difficult it can be to learn a second language. And how easy it is to forget it if you are not using it every day.

Hey, I got an "A" grade in my GCSE French, but within a few years of finishing school I could barely remember any of it.

I'm not at all surprised that she ran after you to give your sunglasses back. If you ever go to Russia (or a Russian neighbourhood), don't be surprised if random strangers not only notice if you get lost, but offer to walk you where you need to go. I've read that a lot of people find that strange or even scary, but... it's just so hard to resist... It's like radar that won't stop beeping until you're sure the lost person can get where they need to go. :laugh:

Awww, I wouldn't find that scary. I would think it was very nice of them.

You know, Russians get a bad press with their stereotype. Although some can be ignorant, you get people like that of any nationality.

The restaurant where we normally eat on holidays is owned by a Cypriot man and his (good bit younger) Russian wife. And they are two of the loveliest people you could ever meet. Like, there have been a couple of times over the years that one of us has gone there when feeling unwell, and she has offered advice and/or medication. And they are always coming down for a chat if business is quiet.

Meanwhile, a week ago today on the last day of my holidays, a Cypriot man threw me out of his shop because I was spending too much time looking.

Just to explain, I am one of those people that checks the shops at the start of the holidays, sees something I like, spends the rest of the holiday comparing prices, and then buys it at the end of the holidays... usually at the first place I saw it! So, that was what I was doing here, except it was taking me a long time to find one of the items I wanted to buy (well, it is hard to find one banknote when you know it is in one of two albums that contain what must be over 1,000 banknotes each).

I was very upset. To the extent that it effectively spoiled the whole holiday for me.

But, the thing that really galled me was that a few minutes after it happened, I discovered the reason he threw me out: it was so that he could go down the street and have a coffee with his mates.

Well, I hope that coffee was worth it, because it cost him around €70 in lost trade that day. And a whole pile of future trade as well because, despite having a wonderful selection of things which I would have loved to buy over time, I will never be stepping foot into that shop again!

CaroLiza_fan

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just bought tickets to Skate America. My mom is flying in from the midwest to go with me. I'm really excited to both get to show her more of the pacific northwest and go to my first international competition (she is also a lifelong skating fan and has not been to a major comp either).

I've got tickets too. Skate America 2018 is going to be the first competition I've ever seen live. I'm looking forward to it! :hap93:

You both will have a great time! I went to Skate America when it was in Pennsylvania, in 2003. Got to see Belbin/Agusto, Michael Weiss and Sasha Cohen all win gold at the event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Skate_America

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am trying to convert some friends to FS fandom. Has anyone ever skated to Batman?

My friend Giorgia is using the "Dark Knight Rises" theme as part of her SP music this season, if that counts.

ISU Bio

Her first competition of the season will be the Junior GP in Ostrava in a couple of weeks.

CaroLiza_fan

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I massively wiped out on a flying camel today (let’s just say it failed to fly) and have some spectacular bruises. I need to make up a good story- maybe I can say I fought off a bear in the rink parking lot or something? [emoji23]

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Nepela Trophy in 3 days! The only regret I have is not to get yet a new photocamera I promised myself to buy... But hopefully next year I will carry one to the next competition:laugh:

And to Seren and phoinos - You won't regret it, my viewing of FS changed for the better after having my first live competition experience in Marc at WC in Milan!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I massively wiped out on a flying camel today (let’s just say it failed to fly) and have some spectacular bruises. I need to make up a good story- maybe I can say I fought off a bear in the rink parking lot or something? [emoji23]

I don't want to like this because it seems a bit too much like I'm saying "Yay Seren got hurt!" Are you better now?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Nepela Trophy in 3 days! The only regret I have is not to get yet a new photocamera I promised myself to buy... But hopefully next year I will carry one to the next competition:laugh:

And to Seren and phoinos - You won't regret it, my viewing of FS changed for the better after having my first live competition experience in Marc at WC in Milan!

Back in my day missy we just called it a camera. You young folks with your new fangled ways.:whack:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This is very important life changing news for all of you so pay attention people:

I cut my hair. It is now shorter than I have had it since I was probably 3 years old. This is because I tried to cut it myself (don't ask, it involves burrs in my garden) and butchered it and had to have my hair dresser friend cut my lower back length hair to above my shoulders. My neck is exposed for the first time in my life. I feel almost naked and will surely have to wear a scarf this winter.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Back in my day missy we just called it a camera. You young folks with your new fangled ways.:whack:

:laugh:

You know, it never actually crossed my mind that we have now got to the stage that cameras in mobile phones are so common that you now have to specifically say when you are talking about a normal "stand-alone" camera.

Scary! :eek:

From the guy who does not have a mobile phone, but rarely leaves the house without his camera (currently a Nikon digital SLR which he hasn't learnt to use to it's full potential).

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I hope to save for something solid, let it be a camera:laugh:

Currently sitting in the arena at practice sessions, Tomas Verner is here and he is more handsome in person:laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Have a cracking time, babe! :cheer:
Actually I have - right now Ice Dance practice and Barbara vs Maurizio by the boards, probably pretending that they don't know each other, it is hillarious how he glances at her. It is drama all right! :laugh:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Fencing neighbor is also a YOI fan. So I decided to show her the skaters the YOI guys were based on (+Rippon, Takahashi, Chen, and Anastasia Tarakanova.)

She is impressed. :)

(also, a funny exchange:

Her: "Put on YOI! It's gay!"
Me: *puts on Adam Rippon*
Her: "Adam, marry me!")

Ducky

On the Ice

Tell people you were doing the latest Israeli fitness craze, Ice Krav Maga, and that if they think you look bad they should see the other guy?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
And here GOEs 5.000 posts!!! :cheer::hb::laugh:

Quite fitting as I am in Bratislava for Nepela Trophy, You all for all likes on my posts, for chats, PMs, bearing with my often too long posts and making the experience fun, here to more FS-related travels, more competitions live, more posts! :) :) :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And here GOEs 5.000 posts!!! :cheer::hb::laugh:

Quite fitting as I am in Bratislava for Nepela Trophy, You all for all likes on my posts, for chats, PMs, bearing with my often too long posts and making the experience fun, here to more FS-related travels, more competitions live, more posts!

Congratulations on reaching 5,000 posts!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Your posts are always very interesting and / or enjoyable, so I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to reading your next 5,000! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I know I shouldn't be, but seeing the state of Russian senior ladies, I'm terrified that they won't even be able to keep three spots and will have to choose between Shcherbakova, Trusova, and Kostornaya for worlds next year...