2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 139 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Also on my way back I saw that apparently Sasha Cohen had an appearance at the Old Navy store a few blocks down - but the session had concluded a few hours prior while I was at the WinterFest..

One time Kristi Yamaguchi was signing autographs form 11:30 to 12:30. I got there at 12:33. She was long gone.

ssffww

On the Ice
True.....This is why I hope every skating fan gets the opportunity to see a national or better yet, international event in person. There are differences in skating skills and edge quality that must be seen, and heard to really understand the difference. The first time I really noticed was when I attended the practice session at Worlds in 2001. Todd Eldredge had very deep edges and generated speed with smooth long strokes that appeared effortless. He was cute but, Tim Goebel was quite different. His strokes were shorter, he was much slower, and you could hear the difference between them as they traveled across. Tim's blades had a scraping sound and Todd sounded like Train. Very similar to Patrick Chan who I still think is the best all around skater I have ever seen.

Although be sure you don't have seats in the nosebleed section at a huge international event. I loved going to 2016 Worlds in Boston, but we could hardly see from where we sat, much less hear blades. I'm so looking forward to Skate America this year. I've got a good seat and will actually be able to see and hear the skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One time Kristi Yamaguchi was signing autographs form 11:30 to 12:30. I got there at 12:33. She was long gone.

Ouch!

Yeah, I learned very quickly that it’s best to be on the early side for these things as they typically won’t stick around if the line ends before the “finish time”, or even if it doesn’t, security will “cut” the line at time and won’t let you in if you’re even a second too late. Sometimes there are even no-shows.

As for the Cohen signing, the poster outside the store said 5-6pm. The WinterFest wrapped up at 8 so it was almost 8:30 by the time I walked by and saw the poster (they hadn’t removed it yet). I didn’t bother walking in at that point (plus I had to catch my train back). Oddly enough I did walk by that store earlier at 2:45pm on my way TO the event but didn’t see any crowds inside, or any posters advertising the appearance.

I did get to see Kristi Yamaguchi last year during one of her readings of her kid’s book and got some good images, that was nice.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today’s crop can only wish they could have the level of success Cohen had - Wagner included.

Although I wonder with the new code of points system, and the current state of USFS, whether we’ll ever have another Cohen or another Hughes again (let alone another MK)...or if another Wagner is the best it’s gonna get.

I'm tired of reading things like "the best it's gonna get." Sorrynotsorry.

Contrary to what some say, Wagner didn't luck into her SC bronze medal last week-end, and she didn't back into it. Her skating had nothing to do with the troubles of the skaters who skated later. She pulled herself up and skated as well as she possibly could in that moment. She earned her scores by the passion and conviction of her skating skills, connections with her music, emotions and character, and with her movement and power, conveying emotion to the audience. I honestly pity people who don't value those qualities because they're so busy watching slo-mo for quarters of rotations.

She's been skating at the senior level for ten years, in a time when coaches, skaters, judges had to figure out how to uphold what they love about the sport. Because of her resilience and courage to keep putting herself out there in competition with girls ten years younger, who developed their skills already knowing how to maximize the system, USA has a great skater who legitimately earns her scores through her artistry and her constant efforts to correct her mistakes, rise above her limitations, and maximize her potential.

Ashley Wagner is a skater for the ages.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Although be sure you don't have seats in the nosebleed section at a huge international event. I loved going to 2016 Worlds in Boston, but we could hardly see from where we sat, much less hear blades. I'm so looking forward to Skate America this year. I've got a good seat and will actually be able to see and hear the skaters.

Attention all skating fans.....This is an excellent comment!! I was fortunate to have had good seats at the events I attended, especially Worlds in 1999. However, there were seats in that arena that had poles, pillars, and even lights that made it nearly impossible to see the skaters. Also, there are some seats that are close enough to the concession stands and food court, that the foot traffic and noise are a CONSTANT distraction. If you don't have decent seats, I'd suggest watching the event from the comfort of your own home.

Now, there are some events that will show the action on screens inside the food court so you can sit and watch the action from there. However, the food is expensive and there are people walking in front of you and talking loudly to their friends the entire time. My advice is to save up for an event you really want to see and get yourself a decent seat with a good view. Bring binoculars because they really help you see the skaters faces up close and that was very cool for me.

ssffww

On the Ice
Attention all skating fans.....This is an excellent comment!! I was fortunate to have had good seats at the events I attended, especially Worlds in 1999. However, there were seats in that arena that had poles, pillars, and even lights that made it nearly impossible to see the skaters. Also, there are some that are close enough to the concession stands and food court, that the foot traffic and noise are a CONSTANT distraction. If you don't have decent seats, I'd suggest watching the event from the comfort of your own home.

Now, there some events that will show the action on screens inside the food court so can sit and watch the action from there. However, the food is expensive and there people walking in front of you all the time. My advice is to save for an event you really want to see and get yourself a decent seat with a good view. Bring binoculars because they really help you see the skaters faces and that was very cool for me.

I still enjoyed being at Worlds in Boston and have no regrets. The energy was amazing and for the ladies free we moved into empty seats near where the skaters from other disciplines sat to watch the event. There were huge jumbotrons that we watched like we were at home, coupled with the excitement of a 14,000 person crowd. I am, though, looking forward to watching a much smaller event with far few skaters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I still enjoyed being at Worlds in Boston and have no regrets. The energy was amazing and for the ladies free we moved into empty seats near where the skaters from other disciplines sat to watch the event. There were huge jumbotrons that we watched like we were at home, coupled with the excitement of a 14,000 person crowd. I am, though, looking forward to watching a much smaller event with far few skaters.

That's a good tip about moving to empty seats and it will be much easier if you are not in a big group. The ladies free program was sold out in Helsinki and Vancouver but, there were seats available at Skate Canada in 2010. In fact, by the time they got to the final flight, they weren't even checking tickets anymore.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm tired of reading things like "the best it's gonna get." Sorrynotsorry.

Contrary to what some say, Wagner didn't luck into her SC bronze medal last week-end, and she didn't back into it. Her skating had nothing to do with the troubles of the skaters who skated later. She pulled herself up and skated as well as she possibly could in that moment. She earned her scores by the passion and conviction of her skating skills, connections with her music, emotions and character, and with her movement and power, conveying emotion to the audience. I honestly pity people who don't value those qualities because they're so busy watching slo-mo for quarters of rotations.

She's been skating at the senior level for ten years, in a time when coaches, skaters, judges had to figure out how to uphold what they love about the sport. Because of her resilience and courage to keep putting herself out there in competition with girls ten years younger, who developed their skills already knowing how to maximize the system, USA has a great skater who legitimately earns her scores through her artistry and her constant efforts to correct her mistakes, rise above her limitations, and maximize her potential.

Ashley Wagner is a skater for the ages.

ITA. It's annoying to see someone always being so negative against Ashley's achievements, that of other U.S. women, and U.S. skating in general. I start getting the feeling that they're just old miseries who refuse to see any positives no matter what unless there's a medal attached to someone's performance - especially gold. Everyone is out there trying their best. Sometimes life circumstances (like with Gracie) gets in the way too. All my respect to those U.S. skaters still plugging away. There WILL be a return to the top, it's just going to take some time. Other countries have the right to have a turn at the top too. Why should anyone resent that or take it out on U.S. skaters by constantly making derogatory remarks against them or their abilities?

brightphoton

Medalist
People are just disappointed by results, especially when skaters have been known to skate much better at times. No one is being derogatory, unless you count anything less than euphoric celebration as derogatory.

Shandy

On the Ice
ITA. It's annoying to see someone always being so negative against Ashley's achievements, that of other U.S. women, and U.S. skating in general. I start getting the feeling that they're just old miseries who refuse to see any positives no matter what unless there's a medal attached to someone's performance - especially gold. Everyone is out there trying their best. Sometimes life circumstances (like with Gracie) gets in the way too. All my respect to those U.S. skaters still plugging away. There WILL be a return to the top, it's just going to take some time. Other countries have the right to have a turn at the top too. Why should anyone resent that or take it out on U.S. skaters by constantly making derogatory remarks against them or their abilities?

Agreed! I imagine that many Russians have felt the same way about Men's Singles since Plushenko. It's good to remember that every country has its ups and downs, and things will eventually swing back our way once again—if we can maintain public interest in the sport and draw in new young, talented skaters. And I don't see us getting there by bashing our own.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Attention all skating fans.....This is an excellent comment!! I was fortunate to have had good seats at the events I attended, especially Worlds in 1999. However, there were seats in that arena that had poles, pillars, and even lights that made it nearly impossible to see the skaters. Also, there are some seats that are close enough to the concession stands and food court, that the foot traffic and noise are a CONSTANT distraction. If you don't have decent seats, I'd suggest watching the event from the comfort of your own home.

Now, there are some events that will show the action on screens inside the food court so you can sit and watch the action from there. However, the food is expensive and there are people walking in front of you all the time. My advice is to save up for an event you really want to see and get yourself a decent seat with a good view. Bring binoculars because they really help you see the skaters faces up close and that was very cool for me.

That’s what I did for Boston Worlds. IMO, there was no point in going if I didn’t have a seat in the first 10 rows for the events I was interested in. I think I was in the 6th row for both ladies SP and FS, albeit in different corners of the arena. I sat in a few other seats as well for the other events (all in the lower bowl). My conclusion: anything higher up than row 13 = too high to get full experience.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
People are just disappointed by results, especially when skaters have been known to skate much better at times. No one is being derogatory, unless you count anything less than euphoric celebration as derogatory.

I am one of those people who is disappointed and at times downright heartbroken when a U.S. skater doesn't skate well. But either you've never seen such posts, or you and I have different definitions of 'derogatory'. No, I don't think that 'less than euphoric celebration' is derogatory. That does not fit the meaning or definition of derogatory. Showing a disrespectful attitude towards someone or their achievements - THAT is derogatory and I've seen that in spades here over the years. Constructive criticism is something all together different. I've seen that too and quite respectfully done.

brightphoton

Medalist
I am one of those people who is disappointed and at times downright heartbroken when a U.S. skater doesn't skate well. But either you've never seen such posts, or you and I have different definitions of 'derogatory'. No, I don't think that 'less than euphoric celebration' is derogatory. That does not fit the meaning or definition of derogatory. Showing a disrespectful attitude towards someone or their achievements - THAT is derogatory and I've seen that in spades here over the years. Constructive criticism is something all together different. I've seen that too and quite respectfully done.

Are you referring to the posts about her 3-peating Moulin Rouge or having low levels on her spins? Maybe it's derogatory, maybe it's not. They may don't know that the concussions affected her memory and make her head hurt when she spins. If that happens, tell them about Ashley's issues. If all anyone ever said was "hooray, good job US ladies" then probably no information would get out.

Now, if there's someone who ain't giving Ashley enough respect, it's the judges. She's got two tano jumps in her free program. I don't know if any other American lady on the GP has tano jumps. I don't remember Karen or Mirai jumping with them. I haven't watched Courney yet. It's a shame that she gets low GOE even with that extra bullet point.

sross43

Rinkside
I doubt I'll get to see a figure skating competition live anytime soon:/ Living in a part of the country that never hosts figure skating competitions is tragic.

qwerty

On the Ice
Are you referring to the posts about her 3-peating Moulin Rouge or having low levels on her spins? Maybe it's derogatory, maybe it's not. They may don't know that the concussions affected her memory and make her head hurt when she spins. If that happens, tell them about Ashley's issues. If all anyone ever said was "hooray, good job US ladies" then probably no information would get out.

Now, if there's someone who ain't giving Ashley enough respect, it's the judges. She's got two tano jumps in her free program. I don't know if any other American lady on the GP has tano jumps. I don't remember Karen or Mirai jumping with them. I haven't watched Courney yet. It's a shame that she gets low GOE even with that extra bullet point.

It's not a matter of respect, re: GOE. Ashley demonstrated two Rippon double toes, both in combination, at Skate Canada. The second was underrotated and two-footed. The first did receive modest positive GOE. There are factors beyond the arm variation that help tally the final GOE.

That said, I think it's a positive step for her to incorporate the arm variation- it's something fresh, and when accomplished well may help her scores.

brightphoton

Medalist
It's not a matter of respect, re: GOE. Ashley demonstrated two Rippon double toes, both in combination, at Skate Canada. The second was underrotated and two-footed. The first did receive modest positive GOE. There are factors beyond the arm variation that help tally the final GOE.

That said, I think it's a positive step for her to incorporate the arm variation- it's something fresh, and when accomplished well may help her scores.

Ashley's tano/rippon jumps should be getting more positive GOE and attention, just my opinion.

Hockeyguy

Rinkside
That’s what I did for Boston Worlds. IMO, there was no point in going if I didn’t have a seat in the first 10 rows for the events I was interested in. I think I was in the 6th row for both ladies SP and FS, albeit in different corners of the arena. I sat in a few other seats as well for the other events (all in the lower bowl). My conclusion: anything higher up than row 13 = too high to get full experience.

Darn we have full package for Nationals at row 14...not kidding :laugh:

brightphoton

Medalist
It's debatable. The arm variation isn't done on the triple, so I wouldn't automatically add another +1 for it.

Really? Someone adds a tano/ripppon to a double jump in combination, and it should be counted as a nothing? Not even a +1?

No wonder Ashley is the only one adding difficulty this way. It's a tough crowd.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Darn we have full package for Nationals at row 14...not kidding :laugh:

In row 12 I found that I had a nice elevated view of the ice without being too high up. Actually, there are advantages to sitting at that level as you get a better idea of ice coverage than you do when seated closer. You also may be able to see more of the warmup and K&C areas if you're in the right part of the arena.

I wouldn't worry much - have a good time :thumbsup: