Tatsuki Machida's new program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida's new program

beki

Medalist
This is 100% my aesthetic. Ideal skating. Every skater should watch this to learn how to fuse technique and artistry.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Absolutely incredible and what a treat for us figure skating fans! Tatsuki has always been a commited artist on the ice. His skating is sorely missed in the Mens division.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki gave a lengthy interview to a skating magazine and it's the first time he shares his thoughts since he retired 2 and a half years ago.

http://suzumoriyuiko.tumblr.com/post/161621576098/translation-tatsuki-machida-interview-from-piw

ー Did your way of thinking about figure skating change after skating as a professional for two years?

There’s competition after retirement too. Of course technique is important, but the number of revolutions in a jump isn’t the only thing that makes the sport progress. There’s a lot of great performances, skating skills, and emotional expression from the past that are forgotten. Learning that and adding your own creation to that, there’s a competition you can and you should do as a professional. Not competing against others like you do in competition, but a serious match to create a show that can be beautiful and amusing, all at once.

Also, I think it’s important to keep in mind that we are competing with other medias and other entertainment industries. In that way, I think you can call PIW “the ice show culture” since it has been going on for 40 years, but furthermore it’s important for the generation now, including me, to contribute to progress it, all that while keeping in mind that we need to pass it on to the next generation.

ー How does the current competitive figure skating look to you?

As of jumping skills, it has gone through remarkable development. At this point, I can’t imagine what can happen. How they jump, how they can insert so many quads in four minutes and a half, it’s beyond my imagination. But what troubles me is how much this sport has become younger. If you go see the prodiums from Worlds in the 1980′s, men is around 22 years old and ladies is around 19. I think they’re younger now. And in all that, there’s so many skaters who get injured and who are forced to quit.

What I mean is, they might retire before they gain the mature skills they need to skate in ice shows. That might make it difficult to have new professional star skaters. The sport is growing in Japan, but the number of senior skaters and professional skaters isn’t. I wish the skaters were coached with a long term view of their activities.

Barb

Record Breaker
. But what troubles me is how much this sport has become younger. If you go see the prodiums from Worlds in the 1980′s, men is around 22 years old and ladies is around 19. I think they’re younger now. And in all that, there’s so many skaters who get injured and who are forced to quit.

What I mean is, they might retire before they gain the mature skills they need to skate in ice shows. That might make it difficult to have new professional star skaters. The sport is growing in Japan, but the number of senior skaters and professional skaters isn’t. I wish the skaters were coached with a long term view of their activities.

I had not thought of that, but he's right.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Bringing this thread back for Machida's 7th self choreographed program, Swan Lake: Siegfried and His Destiny.

Another ambitious program split in 3 acts: "Solitude of the Prince", "False love" and "Siegfried's Death". No doubt the art direction is also his job. He got custom made white boots to match his white tights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWyEgkM3vZk

ffloweer

Rinkside
Country
Argentina
Thanks so much for sharing, this was absolutely beautiful! The coreography is amazing, I love how he holds positions and how it compliments the music. I wish he would coreograph for other skaters.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thank you for this performance, I just watched his Swan Lake on COI, I was in awe. Now this! a True Male Ballet Dancer on ICE.
I really wish and wanna recommend this to Nathan to watch!