2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

da96103

Record Breaker
The best skating order for Yuzuru is to skate after Chen because he will be angry and motivate.

I'am so sorry if this has been posted, but anyone know the based value of each skater layout?

I only remembered once Yuzu skated first in the final group. I think he did quite well in that competition.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Upon his arrival at the airport a couple of days ago, Yuzu said he 'watched Men SP in the team event on TV, and felt he could have easily won had he competed there'. Is it true? Very typical of Yuzu, who has steel of willpower. :biggrin:
Also, while stand-by in the back stage and preparing himself for his turn, Shoma actually did watch Nathan's and Mikhail's SP as usual, I heard. Like Yuzu, this kid never stops to amaze me. I just love our Japanese boys' competitive nerve. :thumbsup:

Good luck, all boys. It's the Olympic Games that each of you has been dreamed of competing and training so hard for years. No holding back. Bring your A game if you want the win! :cool:

da96103

Record Breaker
Upon his arrival at the airport a couple of days ago, Yuzu said he 'watched Men SP in the team event on TV, and felt he could have easily won had he competed there'. Is it true? Very typical of Yuzu, who has steel of willpower. :biggrin:
Also, while stand-by in the back stage and preparing himself for his turn, Shoma actually did watch Nathan's and Mikhail's SP as usual, I heard. Like Yuzu, this kid never stops to amaze me. I just love our Japanese boys' competitive nerve. :thumbsup:

Good luck, all boys. It's the Olympic Games that each of you has been dreamed of competing and training so hard for years. No holding back. Bring your A game if you want the win! :cool:

This means Yuzu's SP is now at 110 level.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Well, nearly all the guys splatted in the Team SP, so it's not saying much to declare one could've "easily won" there.

summerbliss

Rinkside
Starting order for SP is out
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/SEG001.HTM

Final group (Carmina Burana plays)
25 HANYU Yuzuru JPN
26 CHEN Nathan USA
27 KOLYADA Mikhail OAR
28 UNO Shoma JPN
29 FERNANDEZ Javier ESP
30 JIN Boyang CHN

I only remembered once Yuzu skated first in the final group. I think he did quite well in that competition.

I think you are talking about the Free Skate event at Worlds 2017. The last group for that event had pretty much the same skaters as this one and Yuzuru skated first there too and smashed it :)
when I get excited about stuff, things always end up going awry so I am trying so hard not to get too excited about it. I have an exam at my med school in a day and I am more worried/excited/nervous about Yuzuru than myself. I really hope he does well T_T

da96103

Record Breaker
Quads

25 HANYU Yuzuru JPN 4Lo/4S, 4T+3T
26 CHEN Nathan USA 4F+3T, 4T or 4Lz+3T, 4F
27 KOLYADA Mikhail OAR 4Lz, 4T+3T
28 UNO Shoma JPN 4F, 4T+3T
29 FERNANDEZ Javier ESP 4T+3T, 4S
30 JIN Boyang CHN 4Lz+3T, 4T

Except for Yuzu and Javier, all others different combinations of quad solo and quad combo.

da96103

Record Breaker
Prediction:

25 HANYU Yuzuru JPN clean
26 CHEN Nathan USA nervously clean
27 KOLYADA Mikhail OAR (10 seconds silence)
28 UNO Shoma JPN clean-ish
29 FERNANDEZ Javier ESP somewhat clean
30 JIN Boyang CHN clean

eaglehelang

Final Flight

From the translations of news report on that, Yuzuru did not say the bolded part. Just that he watched the men's Team Event.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
From the translations of news report on that, Yuzuru did not say the bolded part. Just that he watched the men's Team Event.

:thumbsup:

He said he watched the event and that his desire to win is second to none. :palmf:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'am so sorry if this has been posted, but anyone know the based value of each skater layout?

Assuming they hit the levels:

CHEN
1 Quad Flip + Triple Toeloop = 16.6
2 Fly. Sit Spin = 3.0
3 Change Foot Camel Spin = 3.2
4 Quad Toeloop* = 11.33
5 Triple Axel* = 9.35
6 Step Sequence = 3.9
7 Change Foot Combination Spin =3.5

TOTAL BV = 50.88

UNO
1 Quad Flip = 12.3
2 Fly. Camel Spin = 3.2
3 Step Sequence = 3.9
4 Quad Toeloop + Triple Toeloop* = 16.06
5 Triple Axel* = 9.35
6 Change Foot Sit Spin = 3.0
7 Change Foot Combination Spin = 3.5

TOTAL BV = 51.31

HANYU
1 Quad Loop = 12.0
2 Fly. Camel Spin = 3.2
3 Change Foot Sit Spin = 3.0
4 Triple Axel* = 9.35
5 Quad Toeloop + Triple Toeloop* = 16.06
6 Step Sequence = 3.9

TOTAL BV = 51.01 (But if he goes for a 4S and not a 4Lo it will be 49.51)

JIN
1 Quad Lutz + Triple Toeloop = 17.9
2 Quad Toeloop = 10.3
3 Fly. Camel Spin = 3.2
4 Triple Axel* = 9.35
5 Change Foot Sit Spin = 3.0
6 Change Foot Combination Spin = 3.5
7 Step Sequence = 3.9

TOTAL BV = 51.15

KOLYADA
1 Quad Lutz = 13.6
2 Quad Toeloop + Triple Toeloop = 14.6
3 Fly. Sit Spin = 3.0
4 Triple Axel* = 9.35
5 Change Foot Camel Spin = 3.2
6 Step Sequence = 3.9

TOTAL BV = 51.15

FERNANDEZ
1 Quad Toeloop + Triple Toeloop = 14.6
2 Quad Salchow = 10.5
3 Fly. Upright Spin = 2.9
4 Triple Axel* = 9.35
5 Change Foot Sit Spin = 3.0
6 Step Sequence = 3.9

TOTAL BV = 47.75

CHAN
1 Quad Toeloop + Triple Toeloop = 14.6
2 Triple Lutz = 6.0
3 Change Foot Camel Spin = 3.2
4 Triple Axel* = 9.35
5 Step Sequence = 3.9
6 Fly. Sit Spin = 3.0

TOTAL BV = 43.55

I am pretty sure there are some mistakes there so please feel free to correct anything :)

Upon his arrival at the airport a couple of days ago, Yuzu said he 'watched Men SP in the team event on TV, and felt he could have easily won had he competed there'.

Did he really say that? I just remember him saying he wanted that OGM more than anyone...

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I said in another thread that Nathan is not the cool customer he is purported to be. Thoughtful and smart and reserved yes but nerves (with added hype ) do get to him. He wants it and he is expected to get it (gold) but I would be surprised if that came to pass. I'm hoping for a medal as I really like him but I think that prospect is doubtful. Top six yes. Clearly he is unravelling. He jumps are MIA. Perhaps he will get it together and do what he capable of. I hope so. Tara and Johnny have clearly been told to hype the hell out of him but you could hear the dismay in their delivery last night after his poor skate. Johnny in the end was blunt and honest about his skate. Most people only pay attention to FSing every Olympic cycle and the focus is on those viewers. NBC needs the folks to stay tuned in and hype and heightened expectations ensure that. It's all about advertising dollars. I do hope I am proven wrong.

Another American here. I can’t watch NBC’s coverage at this point; it just makes me angry, sad, and prone to yelling at the screen. As for Chen being expected to get the gold... to anyone who only tunes in to figure skating at the Olympics and doesn’t even read brief explainers on “who to watch,” sure. (Worth noting that not all US media is especially bullish about Chen’s chances, with a lot of emphasis on Yuzuru being something of a black box, Shoma, etc. And no reputable news site has bothered pretending any of the US women have a chance at coming near the podium.) It’s not Chen’s fault that the hype train ran over him, especially after having such a strong season, but to pretend he’s a complete skater or that he’s honestly even odds or better for the gold strikes me as the US overcorrecting for its years without a quad powerhouse. Yagudin and Plushenko were part of the “Russian Quad Squad,” because Timothy? Never heard of him? (Not that he ever had a real shot under the old scoring system.) Weir was far more technically accomplished than NBC’s commentary wanted anyone to know — that his 3A is almost never remarked on still kills me. I don’t even want to talk about Evan, as I disliked his skating and his personality, but he won the gold and is now a Trivial Pursuit answer, frankly, in terms of the cultural impact of his win and what he did for the sport. But Nathan can do ALL THE QUADS, his artistry isn’t the actual worst, Twitter is a thing, etc. Gold medal!

If Chen wants to continue to skate, and I hope he does, then... I hope we get to see him develop, that he finds programs that actually complement his talents, and that the media stops suffocating him. The nice thing about Amdrica’s Limited attention span is that until the pre-Olympic season for 2022, he actually will be invisible, as culturally and, it seems increasingly in the sport, Americans just want winners. We don’t have time to nurture talent and build a bench! And once you win, get out before you lose and everyone remembers it was a fluke, let alone realizes how injured you are. Unfortunately, Chen is completely screwed: even if he takes silver (which I think still requires someone else to make an error, as I don’t see Chen making it there with all mistakes equal)... he won’t be the American hero who set the record for most quads landed in competition in a skate, he won’t be the Quad King, and he won’t have “won” a medal. He’ll have “lost” the gold. (See: Asada, Mao.)

Also, his Schrödinger’s cat of a 3A is a major issue but somehow that never gets mentioned because FIVE QUADS USA USA USA... this is what happens when America has no known and medal-viable athletes in figure skating outside of the men.

The final SP group is going to be one hell of a show. Assuming Yuzuru isn’t fighting an injury before he fights gravity, I do think this is his to lose. Shoma is my guess for silver; he’s also the one I’d put money on for pulling an upset and taking the games. Coin-flip between Chen in third or fourth. It’s not going to be easy for anyone, but whatever you may think of Yuzuru, he is on another level as a skater and a once-in-generation(lifetime?) talent. (Didn’t ever like Plushenko but I felt the same way about him, even if his skating left me numb.) There are other reasons to think of Yuzuru as “leading,” assuming the competitors for gold are equally clean (or sloppy), but that’s also why the Olympics exist: upsets. (Which is why I would put good money on Shoma. Just a feeling. I can hear dumb commentary about how he was “gutsy” and “explosive” and “emotional” while Yuzuru was just the emotionless, robotic, safe Mr. Clean already.) (This is what Scott Hamilton does to your brain...)

Matteo Rizzo has no chance of finishing near the podium but I enjoy both of his programs tremendously, and he already has more artistic sense and understanding of his music than all but a select few others, including Chen. Hope he takes after Kostner and keeps coming back and improving.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Quads

25 HANYU Yuzuru JPN 4Lo/4S, 4T+3T
26 CHEN Nathan USA 4F+3T, 4T or 4Lz+3T, 4F
27 KOLYADA Mikhail OAR 4Lz, 4T+3T
28 UNO Shoma JPN 4F, 4T+3T
29 FERNANDEZ Javier ESP 4T+3T, 4S
30 JIN Boyang CHN 4Lz+3T, 4T

Except for Yuzu and Javier, all others different combinations of quad solo and quad combo.

Jackie Wong confirmed yesterday that Chen is doing the 4Lz / 4F layout in sp.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
All that hyping of certain skaters just plays into the hands (or the legs) of 1. Javier Fernandez and to a lesser extent 2. Boyang Jin. No one expects anything, all eyes are on others and that is the perfect position to just do it. I think Javier needs a record breaking SP as the LP is his weakness, but if he skates it just slightly clean, the judges will be more than happy to get him on top of that podium. Boyang Jin won't ever win with his own power but his scores will rise if he skates clean once more in the SP and the LP, as we've seen with the pairs SP results that they are so willing to churn out Personal Bests and high scores, like you wouldn't believe it. So if there are enough splats, Jin could also win it all. The odd one out in this group is Mikhail Kolyada. I just don't think it'll happen for him.

TunaKeem

Rinkside
All that hyping of certain skaters just plays into the hands (or the legs) of 1. Javier Fernandez and to a lesser extent 2. Boyang Jin. No one expects anything, all eyes are on others and that is the perfect position to just do it. I think Javier needs a record breaking SP as the LP is his weakness, but if he skates it just slightly clean, the judges will be more than happy to get him on top of that podium. Boyang Jin won't ever win with his own power but his scores will rise if he skates clean once more in the SP and the LP, as we've seen with the pairs SP results that they are so willing to churn out Personal Bests and high scores, like you wouldn't believe it. So if there are enough splats, Jin could also win it all. The odd one out in this group is Mikhail Kolyada. I just don't think it'll happen for him.

Absolutely agree, Olympic pressure on the reigning champion is a heavy weight to carry and Yuzuru has already shown some signs of crumbling but he tends to have a rocky start of season and finishes strong. I am rooting for a Nathan win but the team event has me doubting him. Previously, thought he had nerves of steel but maybe not (look at 2017 Worlds when he finished 6th). Javier/Boyang/Shoma are also who I would put my money on. Going in as someone sitting right outside the podium I think is the perfect place to be (expectation wise).

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Eh, Fernandez has a great deal of hype and pressure from Spain to bring home the country's first skating medal (preferably gold). The only one whose flying under the radar is Boyang Jin.

I think Hanyu has been able to lessen alot of the pressure and scrutiny due to his injury and ensuing disappearance till now.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
:thumbsup:

He said he watched the event and that his desire to win is second to none. :palmf:

Well, the translator lady didnt put it in such flowery words but yeah, along those lines. -He believes his desire to win is stronger than any other player'
Every competitor needs to have desire to win so that statement is not mind blowing