Medvedeva WDs from GPF | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva WDs from GPF

bevybean

On the Ice
I completely agree with you. I think the timing of this announcement and the reasoning for not saying anything until now make perfect sense.

Recently we found out that Ashley Wagner tore her quadriceps before 2016 worlds. But her team didn’t say anything about her having an injury and Ashley herself even vehemently denied being injured at the time. She’s told us now that she didn’t want the injury to be her story at 2016 worlds, and she also didn’t want to be constantly reminded of her injury at every moment while she was trying to compete at the most important competition of her season. I think Evgenia’s reasons for publically denying the seriousness of her injury are probably the same. Why would she want to constantly be reminded of her injury by fans and the media when it’s probably already a difficult thing to deal with mentally while competing during an Olympic season? The fact that she’s announced it now shows that she’s acknowledged the injury is serious enough to compromise GPF and that it’s no longer possible to keep it under wraps.

Good luck to Zhenya. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery and hoping dearly to see her at her best at Olympics. 🙏🏻

I should probably let this drop, because I don't think it is a big deal. At the same time, I don't think anyone should need to defend the opinion of finding it fishy.

Everything you said makes sense if the announcement comes once it has been decided for her to withdraw or if she competes anyway and announces it a long time afterward as Ashley did. Releasing the information now means if she does compete, everyone will be talking about the injury. If she does withdraw, it seems like a marketing/attention seeking ploy (or fishy, to put it concisely).

I doubt it is anything more than media image/attention getting for Russia (because I highly doubt that Zhenya has any control over her media other than producing a quote for the media once the Russian Fed says the announcement is being made).

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
Totally agree with your comment... thank you!!

No problem. It think people concluded that you were saying Evgenia isn't injured but she is pretending to be injured as a strategy etc. You are getting reactions to that, not to your actual comments.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I say my girl Zhenya skips GPF and Russian nationals. She comes back fighting for Euros and then it's onto the OG. And let's not forget that there is the team AND singles in Pyeongchang, so she that's three major events in a month's time! Not worth her health for another GPF or national title. She'll make the team by acclamation, and the other two spots will be up for grabs. Those who miss her competing in nationals in an Olympic year can go to Moscow since it'll be on home soil anyway.

Rest up, good luck!! Wishing her a speedy and full recovery so she can crush the competition this February!

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I would worry about the Vitamins, she took also (did they contain performance enhancing drugs?) i don't know
but i do know some vitamins in health food stores contain them .

Now with all the world's attention focused on the Russian athletes, a coach or a doctor needs to be a complete idiot or a deliberate criminal to give an athlete anything remotely resembling doping.

andromache

Record Breaker
She needs to do whatever she has to do in order to be healthy for the Olympics. Withdrawing from GPF and ceding the momentum to, say, Alina, wouldn't be great for her, but it's 1000000% times better than becoming further injured.

She's had a very healthy career - no injuries since 2012/2013 (at least according to Wikipedia), so she's been very, very lucky so far. This is horrible timing - fingers crossed for her.

ETA: I always forget about Europeans. Evgenia will be able to make a statement there against Alina, if she can't at GPF or even Russian Nationals.

Btw, I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I really don't think there's any strategy going into this announcement. Especially since we all know Evgenia's main competition for OGM is Alina, and, y'know, they have the same coach.

bevybean

On the Ice
I think she just wanted to wait if it was bad enough to claim anything, since she said it was a simple "sprain". Which makes me think that there are more chances for her to withdraw (yes I'm pessimistic) :hopelessness:
I mean for some knowing there might be an open spot could be beneficial. Ashley of all people is the kind to rise up to these occasions. And honestly they could use that kick : it's Olympic season. Everybody is in the same situation.

Right. So, it probably is just the attention thing. All eyes are on Skate America and Ashley Wagner so Russia decides to release a story that will focus attention on Zhenya. I'm sure other Feds do the same thing to some extent. It's how the game is played.

For clarity, I'm a saying it is a false story. I'm sure she really is injury. It's just a question of her Fed using the announcement strategically.

I'm just going to state once more that I do thing whatever "strategy" is going on is the Fed and not Zhenya. Also, I hope she is recovered for the Olympics.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
You guys need to explain to me how you can see something fishy here.

GPF is 2 weeks away. Now is the time to say if you have something going on. And it gives the time to the 1st replacement to actually train properly in case.
If she had said that before CoR or NHK, some would have say : "oh she is finding an excuse for falling more than usual".

Also, if she had said that before, everybody (including judges and more importantly the press) would be focusing too much on that, and it may add even more stress to what is already a hell of a season mentally speaking.

Now is the time to say you are not participating to the event. You are right. But no time is good time to say you may or may not. We don't need to hear about Evgenia's health history if it won't change anything in the competitions. They have made an official announcement which basically doesn't say anything.

And the replacements are already training very hard to acquire the last spots at Skate America so there is nobody to inform really.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
If she ends up missing the GPF I am going to take it as a sign that both she and Yuzu will win the OGM with a vengeance.

May the skating gods hear you - this season could do with some awesome skates from those 2 at the Olympics anyway :slink:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Now is the time to say you are not participating to the event. You are right. But no time is good time to say you may or may not. We don't need to hear about Evgenia's health history if it won't change anything in the competitions. They have made an official announcement which basically doesn't say anything.

I think it's pretty obvious that they themselves don't know yet whether she will be able to perform, but they don't want to wait until the day before to say "oh btw Evgenia has been injured all along and is WD, joke's on you". They are letting everyone know so that if she WD it doesn't come as a surprise.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
And she did not listen to Eteri ??? MMMMMM

Let's not forget that Eteri doesn't have the experience of say, Frank Carroll or Mishin. She's probably figuring out how best to support Zhenya and what she needs. It's hard when you don't even know the full picture to say "do this" or "do that".

linkintank

Rinkside
The GPF will most likely be won by one of her teammates. Even if Zagitova were to win the GPF, if Med beats her at Nationals, it won't matter going into the Olympics. Med is the World Champion and ranked #1. Her health going into the games is crucial......Rest.

Russian Nationals are judged differently so Med isn't losing it even if she skates badly the real test would come at Europeans which oddly enough are being held in Moscow this season.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I believe it was today's position of Venus and Neptune connected with height of tidal wave in Sitka, Alaska which made RusFed release the news. And of course it was breaking news as it involved 2 times World Champion! GPF is in over 3 weeks. Announcement like this will give time alternates to prepare in case of Medvedeva's withdrawal. Also after her performance in Osaka there were speculations about her possible injury so probably they decided it was finally the time to cut speculations (especially taking into consideration the fact that yesterday we got the news about nature of Pogo's injury).

If Evgenia withdraws won't the next one with higher points qualify? 7th in this case? So the alternates are already practicing really hard for the last spots.

rosy14

Final Flight
Well, we know for sure that Eteri was trying to keep this injury under wraps for as long as possible. When asked at NHK Evgenia just mentioned a sprain.

Even though it’s known since Summer (and last Summer too).

Elucidus

Match Penalty
And the replacements are already training very hard to acquire the last spots at Skate America so there is nobody to inform really.

What about Wakaba Higuchi? It's important information to know - whether you should be ready for GPF or not.

Even though it’s known since Summer (and last Summer too).
Now her reactions in Osaka and Grenoble's kiss and cry are much more understandable, btw.

madison

Record Breaker
And she did not listen to Eteri ??? MMMMMM
I have the impression that Eteri controls everything: from her students' clothes, make-up to their behaviour in K&C and social media...
She even took Alina's toy because she wanted to show the sponsor :(. She's totally business and I don't blame her, but on the other hand I think it's a little bit sad. I would like her to help her students to develop freely not to impose or control something.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I think it's pretty obvious that they themselves don't know yet whether she will be able to perform, but they don't want to wait until the day before to say "oh btw Evgenia has been injured all along and is WD, joke's on you". They are letting everyone know so that if she WD it doesn't come as a surprise.

You may be right. But they don't have any obligation to make people less surprised. Maybe only the judges so that they wouldn't thought this sudden injury "fishy". But look, it became a strategy again :p

Anyways, somebody said they recently made Anna's announcement too. Maybe it was their week to make announcements, who knows.