2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SAN JOSE, California (1/7/18) – U.S. Figure Skating announced today the men who will compete at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 as part of the U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team, 2018 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, 2018 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and 2018 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships.

The men’s singles team is Nathan Chen, Adam Rippon and Vincent Zhou.

Nathan Chen is the 2018 U.S. champion, successfully defending his 2017 title. Chen entered the 2018 U.S. Championships as the only undefeated male skater in the 2017-18 season, winning two Grand Prix Series titles and the Grand Prix Final. Chen is the only man in the world to receive credit for landing five different types of quadruple jumps in international competition.

Adam Rippon is the 2016 U.S. champion, and placed fourth at the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships. After winning silver at both of his Grand Prix Series assignments this season, Rippon earned his second-straight trip to the Grand Prix Final, where he placed fifth.

Vincent Zhou is the 2018 U.S. bronze medalist. He won the 2017 U.S. silver medal and ended last season as the 2017 World Junior champion. Chen has won U.S. titles at the intermediate (2011), novice (2012) and junior (2013) levels.
Alternates for the 2018 men’s Olympic Team have been named as Jason Brown (first alternate), Ross Miner (second alternate), and Max Aaron (third alternate).

2018 World Championships
Nathan Chen
Adam Rippon
Vincent Zhou
Alternate 1 – Jason Brown
Alternate 2 – Ross Miner
Alternate 3 – Max Aaron
2018 Four Continents Championships
Jason Brown
Ross Miner
Max Aaron
Alternate 1 – Grant Hochstein
Alternate 2 – Timothy Dolensky
Alternate 3 – Alexander Johnson
2018 World Junior Championships
Alex Krasnozhon
Camden Pulkinen
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternates (not ranked): Maxim Naumov, Andrew Torgashev, Dinh Tran.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ross Miner is not even the first alternate, which tells me that USFS highly regards "body of work" of Jason over Ross' 2nd at Nationals.

The final decision is expected, but it really contrasts with the decision on Karen over Ashley.

Warwick360

Medalist
Ross should be FURIOUS. :sarcasm:

I am FURIOUS for him. By the piss poor argument that they presented, Ashley really should be going over Karen, since Karen has not even won one single GP medal in the past Olympics cycle. To send Zhou over Ross and then to have Brown over 1st alternate. This has left me Furious times infinity. :ddevil:

pearly

Record Breaker
Ross Miner is not even the first alternate, which tells me that USFS highly regards "body of work" of Jason over Ross' 2nd at Nationals.

The final decision is expected, but it really contrasts with the decision on Karen over Ashley.

I really love Ashley, but I don't think it's the same. Adam had far better results this year than she did.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Wow, I kinda expected it but I still feel for Ross, he did really great at Nats. But then again I love Adam and I also think he worked for his spot throughout the entire season and in my book he deserves it.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I really love Ashley, but I don't think it's the same. Adam had far better results this year than she did.

I'm not protesting against the final decision on ladies because I'm OK with either way, but just saying that USFS doesn't equally apply their rules.

Moreover Ashley has a World medal that none has in US singles on the Olympic team.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I hope Ross's friends and family have his back today because this is TOUGH to swallow. At least he can feel like he did everything he could. Would one great GP have made a difference? It feels like there were only 4 skaters who could have potentially made the Olympics and the rest were not in the conversation unless they won nationals. Not sure I can get behind that.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I'm not protesting against the final decision on ladies because I'm OK with either way, but just saying that USFS doesn't equally apply their rules.

Moreover Ashley has a World medal that none has in US singles on the Olympic team.

They were looking at this season and the last one, they even said so in the press conference. Ashley has had 2 underwhelming season, Adam's season so far was great and he made it to GPF two years in a row.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope Ross's friends and family have his back today because this TOUGH to swallow. At least he can feel like he did everything he could. Would one great GP have made a difference? It feels like there were only 4 skaters who could have potentially made the Olympics and the rest were not in the conversation unless they won nationals. Not sure I can get behind that.

See Bradie or Karen. Bradie only had one GP and one challenger assignment (along with winning). Karen's done poorly all season, but her 4th place at Worlds counted.

pearly

Record Breaker

If it were a medal from 2017 it would probably be a different story. I have many question marks about the judging of ladies event and I think there's a good chance the ladies Olympic team was decided in advance. But I really don't think that the situation was the same for men and that sending 1-2-3 should have been the case here as well.

brightphoton

Medalist
Wow, Ross finishes below only Nathan, and he's still *second* alternate

Behind 6th place finisher Jason

This reminds me of the scene in I, Tonya, where Tonya berates the judges for not giving her the scores that her skating earned.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think Ross can be angry about not making the team but it was also expected. He knew they were going to look at everything else- everything he didn't have too. I don't think he can be furious about that. Not even being first alternate though is a tough pill to swallow (I say this as someone who loves Jason).

flipsydoodle

On the Ice

2016 Worlds results were not included in criteria for 2018 Olympics.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
Well I'll be rooting for Rippon. We're going to be presenting routines of two young men who do little in their routines besides jump. The lack of variation in their styles and abilities comparatively might be to both of their detriment, scoring-wise.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
They were looking at this season and the last one, they even said so in the press conference. Ashley has had 2 underwhelming season, Adam's season so far was great and he made it to GPF two years in a row.

Karen has 2 underwhelming seasons as well, not a single GP medal in her career.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I understand the choice of Adam over Ross but it's a real snub to not even name Ross as the 1st alternate, rendering the Nationals' relevance at the whims of the fed.

GGFan

Record Breaker
If I were Ross I don't think Adam being put on the team would bother me but I would be side eyeing the fed hard for Vincent (who I like). That seems like a play for the future if there were ever one and the case is not as compelling. Just thinking out loud here . . .