2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

that is lousy argument

i could make a case for tenley being fresh out of juniors, tara, sara, dick , hayes,
paul, scott hamilton, scott allen, peggy fleming etc.

they have to be fresh and just start out .

that is what make part of the olympic the freshness and newness of the athletes who never been there.

louisa05

Final Flight
4th place at worlds vs 7th
3rd at Nats vs 4th

Those made her case because 1st tier of selection criteria.

Plus 1st vs. 2nd at 2017 Nats which is also on the list.

I love Ashley, but this one was fair. Just as her inclusion over Mirai four years ago was fair.

Now the judging in the event, on the other hand....

But never mind all the arguing, can someone here please be mad with me that I have now seen a total of four absolutely racist comments about the men's and ladies team selection on social media, all apparently pointed at the group of six having four skaters of Asian heritage. One commenter on USFSA's FB post is upset that the men's and women's teams are "foreign". And there are also a few blatantly homophobic comments implying that Adam only got his spot because he is gay.

That makes me want to vomit more than watching the free skates last night did.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
But Ross beat him doe.

You missed my point : Ross, the rest of the season wasn't great (at all) in terms of placements and points. Vincent wasn't excellent either, but a podium at a senior B + World Junior champ 2017 + 2nd place at Nats last year had him higher by the selection criterias. When you compare 2nd and 3rd at this year's Nats, who do you go for ? There is a logic to that.

However, everyone thought before the event it was going to be Nathan, Adam, Jason. But because Jaons was 6th and Vincent 3rd, Vincent earn his spot thanks to this competition. It would have been tough to beat Jason on the selection criterias otherwise. And I'd argue that no country wants to send its 6th ranked man.

DG77

Rinkside
This is bad. I feel so sorry for Ross Minor. He earned a spot and the committee decided that he could not even be the first alternate. I am horrified really. It rings of favoritism to me. This is one of the many reasons that figure skating has loss some of its popularity over the years. Unlike any other event, figure skating it is based on favoritism and opinion rather than what an athlete can earn. Ross earned it and was robbed.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Just wow. And not even being first alternate at either competition? I want to hug that man. (again not crying injustice here)

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Since worlds junior champion from 2017 like Alina Zagitova can actually win the Olympics (or at least a medal)

:scratch2:
The US selection criteria for US Olys team is exactly that: a US selection criteria. Has nothing to do with other countries’ selection criteria.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
You missed my point : Ross, the rest of the season wasn't great (at all) in terms of placements and points. Vincent wasn't excellent either, but a podium at a senior B + World Junior champ 2017 + 2nd place at Nats last year had him higher by the selection criterias. When you compare 2nd and 3rd at this year's Nats, who do you go for ? There is a logic to that.

However, everyone thought before the event it was going to be Nathan, Adam, Jason. But because Jaons was 6th and Vincent 3rd, Vincent earn his spot thanks to this competition. It would have been tough to beat Jason on the selection criterias otherwise. And I'd argue that no country wants to send its 6th ranked man.

I got your point, I just pointed out a flaw in your logic.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Not even World spot? Oh, well...

USFS won't risk 3 spots next year, that is why Ross is not on the World team as well.

But I think Ross should be glad that he had the best moment of his life in 2018 US nationals, which on itself is an amazing thing isn't it?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The American skaters should now be aware that though the Nationals medals are up for grabs, the Olympic team eligibility has been pre-screened and limited before the Olympic season. This is comforting to some and discouraging for others.

Ross and Grant never had a chance.

charmblade

Final Flight
Wow, they gave Max 4CC?? I'm a huge Max fan so it's good news for me, but I'm pretty surprised. I wonder if this is a confirmation of my feeling that he's about to retire and they wanted to throw him one more competition. I feel a little bad for Grant though.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
He did earn it. That we like it or not a 4-quad programs is big (5 if not for the last one). I'd argue that both Miner and Vincent were gifted in PCS, vincent lost 20 points on TES on Urs that Miner wasn't called for. But then 2nd vs 3rd place you have to still look at the rest of the criterias and frankly, Miner is out.

What I don't get are the alternates though, and it's where you make a point : Ross 2nd, Jason1st, and Max ?? Where is Grant in all of this ?

No, Vincent did not earn it, it was very much gifted.
4 quads is not big - he needs to rotate what he jumps, and he actually has prerotation issues as well. He lost 20 points on TES because he deserved to lose it, and he gained what, 15 points on PCS, compared to his international scores. He is still going to underrotate at the Olympics, and he is still not going to get these ludicrous PCS numbers.

USFSA wanted another quadster because they think Vincent is the future of the US skating and that was clear a long time ago, and that's all there is to it. They're gambling with his future though, because not all rewards are gifts, some are curses. Ah well, on their head.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Wow, wow, wow, wooooooow.

Honestly, I think I'm more bewildered by the Olympic alternates. Ross isn't even first but second. Despite finishing a respectable 5th Grant doesn't make the cut at all. And Max who finished all the way down in 9th place is third alternate. :scratch3:

So going forward, unless a skater actually wins Nationals, there will be no guarantee that they will be assigned to Worlds/Olympics because Nationals is not as important as it used to be...?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
:scratch2:
The US selection criteria for US Olys team is exactly that: a US selection criteria. Has nothing to do with other countries’ selection criteria.

What I meant is that Juniors in singles are actually so good, they can outskate seniors (it shows in Russia for example, and it showed with Nathan in 2016 wh was selected for worlds but didn't do JrW or Worlds because injury). So it's fair to have it on the selection criteria.

evasorange

Final Flight
They were looking at this season and the last one, they even said so in the press conference. Ashley has had 2 underwhelming season, Adam's season so far was great and he made it to GPF two years in a row.
Ashley won skate America last year! And a bronze at skate Canada this year. Not one of the ladies on the team has any gp gold, and only bradie has a solitary bronze. Not to derail the thread but the Ashley stan in me just had to point that out.