Skaters Retiring After 2017-18 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters Retiring After 2017-18 Season

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think for Canada Patrick Chan, Duhamel & Radford, and Virtue & Moir are pretty obvious. Weaver & Poje arent obvious, but perhaps likely. Kevin Reynolds seems likely to me, I havent heard him say anything either way, I dont see what more he has to give at this point. Liubov Ilyushechkina & Dylan Moscovitch have indicated more than once this is their last season. Liam Firus seems likely to me. Not sure if any of the women are retiring. Still a lot of retirement at the top of the Canadian skating, which isnt surprising considering many of their were surprising comebacks (Chan, Virtue & Moir, Moscovitch) to begin with.

For the U.S I think Caroline Zhang is confirmed. Ashley Wagner will either retire or retire soon. I am not sure on Nagasu, has anyone heard one way or the other on her. I am not sure if we will ever see Gold back, but I dont know if she will ever officialy retire, perhaps just quietly slip away. Edmunds might retire, especialy seeing how much ground she has lots while injured and away. I think Miner is definitely done after this blow, probably was anyway. I think Rippon is probably done after fulfilling his Olympic dream. Grant Hochstein is quite likely done IMO. I could see Denney & Frazier possibly retiring, although I hope not. I think they were undermarked at the Nationals and given a message of sorts. I am also not sure if Castelli & Tran will continue. They dont have a lot of support from the USFSA or U.S judges, and both have been through numerous partners, and have the citizenship obstacle too. I could see Chock & Bates retiring after this season, in fact I think the likelihood is atleast 50%. I dont see all 3 top U.S dance teams retiring, and any of the 3 could but IMO Hubbell & Donohue are the least likely of the trio and Chock & Bates the most likely.

For Russia I think Bobrova & Soloviev are done as a team, but Soloviev might continue with someone new. I think Bobrova is retiring from all I have heard. I think Radionova and Anna P. both might be done. I am not sure if Tuktamysheva will continue. IMO Soldatova has basically been retired for awhile so I dont know if she even counts, but I dont think we see her outside of Russia again (as we havent since 2014). Volosozhar & Trankov are already retired IMO, they might have officialy announced it already and I just never heard. I could see Kovtun retiring after his absolutely disaesters this season, especialy as he is being surpased in Russia now even on his good days. Surely this is the end for Leonova too.

I will give my thoughts on some of the other countries later.

Who is Soldatova? Julia who retired years ago and I think after switching to another country? Or do you mean Adelina Sotnikova. Or is this another Russian teenage great who can't make it out of Russia to compete.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I didn't realize winning the free dance was "a firm message it is time to move on".

If anything they might wanna see who retires just to asses their chances going forward,
They even have the potential for a World medal again this year so that could be a boost

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I think Radionova and Anna P. both might be done.
nah I saw recently that she's already preparing for the next season

synteis

Medalist
James & Cipres have said that's it's probably their last season. Vanessa will be 31 in September and Morgan 27 in April.

That's too bad. I really loved watching them this year although of course it's understandable.

Icey

Record Breaker
I am starting to feel Kostner may stay. She said she is no longer in it for medals, but for love of skating. she is unbeatable in Italy and she is still top 10 in the world.

Looks like her country would want somebody who is "in it for the medals". There are other avenues for her that would allow her to skate for the the love of skating.

Barb

Record Breaker
Correct me if I am wrong but Hawayek & Baker I believe had the highest TES of all the teams in the FD of Nationals this year. They are rapidly closing the gap on the top teams. The Parsons are also coming up.

Dont bother congratulating me on being right when Chock & Bates retire after this season.

C/B already said that they will continue. They could change their mind, but it seems they love to skate and compete, so I don´t think they will retire.

humbaba

Final Flight
Chock & Bates would be foolish to continue. They are continously dropping both the U.S and internationally. If they do continue I see them possibly falling below Hawayek & Baker next year, being delivered a firm message it is time to move on. I think the U.S is ready to start developing some of their up and comers after having had the same 3 or 4 teams forever now.

You know, it is possible to support your favorite skaters without disparaging and denigrating those you perceive as being in their way. Just sayin’.

Correct me if I am wrong but Hawayek & Baker I believe had the highest TES of all the teams in the FD of Nationals this year.

It appears you are wrong. So per your request, I’ll correct you. Chock/Bates earned the highest tech score in the FD at nationals, 61.39. Hawayek/Baker were second with 61.06. Hubbell/Donahue scored 59.77, the Shibs 57.26.

My source for the scores is the USFS protocol which can be found by following the links on this page: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2018/26192/results.html.

pearly

Record Breaker
Looks like her country would want somebody who is "in it for the medals". There are other avenues for her that would allow her to skate for the the love of skating.

She's earned an awful lot of medals for someone who isn't in it for the medals. I know she said medals are not her priority, but she's doing just fine even in that field. Have you seen that Lutz? I'm sure Italy would support another skater and send her to major competitions if there was anyone who could do better than Kostner.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I am starting to feel Kostner may stay. She said she is no longer in it for medals, but for love of skating. she is unbeatable in Italy and she is still top 10 in the world.

She said she might stay. I haven't heard anything about retirement from Caro yet. :)

eggnogkitty

Match Penalty
You know, it is possible to support your favorite skaters without disparaging and denigrating those you perceive as being in their way. Just sayin’.

I actually dont dislike Chock & Bates, and absolutely none of my current ice dance favorites are any of the U.S teams. Thus your comments directed at me do not even apply. I am just calling it as I feel it is. Dont like it, tough, you dont have to agree with me. It is not like anything any of us say here means squat anyway.

It appears you are wrong. So per your request, I’ll correct you. Chock/Bates earned the highest tech score in the FD at nationals, 61.39. Hawayek/Baker were second with 61.06. Hubbell/Donahue scored 59.77, the Shibs 57.26.

Thanks. Still almost equal to the highest TES, and well above a well skating H&D, and way above a not bad Shibutanis skate. Very competitive score in the FD. Many times closer to the top 3 than last years Nationals (where they skated badly in the FD, but still). My overall point still stands.

My source for the scores is the USFS protocol which can be found by following the links on this page: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2018/26192/results.html.[/QUOTE]

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She said she might stay. I haven't heard anything about retirement from Caro yet. :)

Really? That's kind of disappointing. Don't you think she's done enough and should pass the blade of Italian ladies skating on to others?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Really? That's kind of disappointing. Don't you think she's done enough and should pass the blade of Italian ladies skating on to others?

But judging by the results of nationals.... she is so so so far ahead of everybody there.... she may as well continue bringing joy to the world.

penguin

On the Ice

If a skater doesn't feel done yet and is still capable of scoring very high, I think it's worse to push them out to "give someone else a turn." She earned her right to stay by skating well! I might feel differently if there were several promising up-and-comers who were being held back in her shadow, but right now I think Caro could earn more spots for her country on her own than if she left it to others, in which case she more than earns her right to stay.

klutzy

On the Ice
I think all the ice dance teams are waiting for Virtue/Moir to retire to see if they can move up and challenge P/C. The top three American teams are really, really close in points--I mean, SS won the short; C/B won the free and H/D won the whole thing. Now, all three of them have won the National championships in the last quad.

Any one of them is a great program away from being on top. This year (despite C/B winning the free) it's Hubbell and Donahue who put together the killer program. Two years ago, it was the Shibs. The year before that it, it was Chock and Bates.

V/M retire and the possibility of silver and bronze at Worlds opens up for two American teams.

H/B--whose FS I absolutely love--have that one great free skate. They need to show that they have more than that to successfully challenge the top three. I think they'll get there, but not immediately.