Hawayek and Baker sit out remainer of season | Golden Skate

Hawayek and Baker sit out remainer of season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After taking some time to reflect over the last few months, we have made the tough decision to take a step back from competing for the remainder of the season and reevaluate our options for future seasons. We wanted to share with you our material that we created and poured so much love into this year. It is so close to our hearts and we couldn’t miss the opportunity to share a piece of us with you. Thank you for the continued support over the last decade, it has meant so much to us to connect with you all on the ice.

All our best,
Kaitlin and Jean-Luc

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad, with all the injuries that Kaitlin and Jean-Luc have been through, and especially Kaitlin's battles to recover from concussions.

I would be so sad not to see their wonderful skating again, but they need to do what is best for their future as people as well as skaters.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
This makes me so sad- love this pair and trust that going forward they will make the decisions that serve them best as that is what matters, nothing else, their health and well-being is paramount. So, my sadness is just selfish, long been a favorite of mine.

keasus

On the Ice
I have loved this couple since they were juniors. I don't know what future they will choose. Selfishly,I want to see them on competitive ice again, but if they choose to leave competition, I hope they will be involved in skating in some way (coaching, choreography). They have so much talent and knowledge to share.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There was no teary-eyed smilie for the original post, so I used the Love hearts smilie. What a gorgeous FD! 😍 So sad that they won't be competing it at Nationals to thunderous applause. I have always loved H/B since my first time seeing them compete in juniors.

Maybe at some point they will give a video interview with someone they trust to talk about all they have been dealing with the past few years, and the current transformations and mixed emotions they have been experiencing. I get a sense that the injury struggles have been difficult to recuperate from, yet they are having a hard time giving up completely on their competitive dreams. I wish them all the best, whatever decision they end up arriving at for their future. ❤️

rabidline

Final Flight
The program they posted on Instagram is so beautiful, I teared up this morning. I wish only the best for Kaitlyn, Jean-Luc and their team. I can only imagine how difficult it has been for them, I really hope they're able to find happiness because their skating makes me so happy 😭

sworddance21

On the Ice
That program is absolutely magical. I am so glad they shared it with us. And I am so sad not to see them again this year. I hope they heal well and that we have an opportunity to see them again in some capacity. They skate with such heart - they are far and away my favorite dancers. They have been through so much.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Beautiful dance. Beautiful venue. But the most beautiful is their connection, at the end of the program. Their emotional journey is very apparent and I had to catch a tear that was going to fall into my dinner plate... I wish them the best.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The program skated is gorgeous and meaningful. Their body of work speaks for itself and leaves us a treasure of past programs that are unique and special. If they choose to end competitively for health reasons, then it is an opportunity to take a different path that will provide fulfillment. I for one would like to see them work in choreography and perhaps Kaitlin can do something with music as well. I am so sad that we may not see them on a Nationals stage, but I am so pro-them that whatever they choose I will accept and support. I wish them good health most of all. My butterfly babies, who I watched grow up, are getting ready to spread their wings on a new and wonderful adventure.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love watching them. What a beautiful programme and how sad not to see them at World's. Ever? So sad all these concussian but also mental issues. *Just hoping they choose to do what is best for them

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I think that if it were not for the extraordinary longevity of Chock & Bates, these two would have won a National title. (Not meant as criticism of Chock & Bates— everybody has to do what’s right for them.)

Best of luck to them in their future endeavors.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm at a loss for words right now. I've loved them for 10 years now and it's so disappointing that they have to leave competitive skating, probably forever. But that program was gorgeous. Love and good health to them both.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So sad, that program was so beautiful - I wish we could've seen it in competition. Their partnership and friendship is also beautiful - you can just see it in their looks, hugs and joking after the program was done. Wishing them the best!