Hawayek and Baker sit out remainer of season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hawayek and Baker sit out remainer of season

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I thought/think this team has even more potential but rather unlucky. Truthfully this is hardly shocking. It is like you are waiting and waiting for this and maybe it is hard to say good bye even for a year. They have not had great luck. I hope they can leave when and on their terms. For those who skate with them in their home arena none of this is remotely a surprise. We just have to hope whatever direction they go they are healthy physically and mentally. There are many American dance teams ready to do battle for the extra spot to worlds. It's the cycle of life. One team's pain and loss is another's gain. I wish HB great luck in whatever they decide.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sorry to hear they won't be at Nationals. I'm so lucky to have seen them at Skate America in 2022, US Nationals in 2018 and Skate Canada in 2016 - they were amazing to watch live. I hope they can find another season inside them but if not, I wish them both well.

(I am not surprised by this announcement as TSL had said there was gossip recently that they hadn't even been fitted for costumes this season, so there was no way they would be at Nationals w/o costumes.)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A full size version has been posted on YouTube by On Ice Perspectives

They are one of a kind...I am crying tears of sadness and joy at the beauty of this skate.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(I am not surprised by this announcement as TSL had said there was gossip recently that they hadn't even been fitted for costumes this season, so there was no way they would be at Nationals w/o costumes.)
They could have worn basic black and this program would still be magical. That curved lift was new and wonderful.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not going to worry unduly until they make an announcement. I mourn enough when people retire without mourning in advance.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was Jean-Luc at Nationals supporting and watching the event? I swear I saw him a few times around the Arena but wasn’t 100 percent sure if it was him.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Can someone explain to me why they did not just skate at nationals when they were able to do these performances recently? (I take it these are recent recordings?) I get that there is stress at nationals and they didn't feel in the best form and health, but if you are able to skate your programs like this, would you not go to one last nationals you have already qualified for? :scratch2:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was Jean-Luc at Nationals supporting and watching the event? I swear I saw him a few times around the Arena but wasn’t 100 percent sure if it was him.
Yes, he was there, sitting in the section where we were sitting (near the skaters' entrance (during the practice sessions). He was there to support his fellow skaters. We got to speak to him & wish all the best to him & Kaitlyn.

muptgirl

On the Ice
Yes, he was there, sitting in the section where we were sitting (near the skaters' entrance (during the practice sessions). He was there to support his fellow skaters. We got to speak to him & wish all the best to him & Kaitlyn.
He was also on as a special guest with Jackie Wong during the broadcast ice dance report on Peacock. Unfortunately the way he spoke during that really made it sound like they were done competing competitively.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Can someone explain to me why they did not just skate at nationals when they were able to do these performances recently? (I take it these are recent recordings?) I get that there is stress at nationals and they didn't feel in the best form and health, but if you are able to skate your programs like this, would you not go to one last nationals you have already qualified for? :scratch2:

As someone wrote on another forum, there's a big difference between preparing to skate for a video shoot and training hard for months to get ready for Nationals.
Also there's no guarantee that those two programs that were filmed, were skated just once for the SP and once for the FD. With the wonders of editing and Jordan's expertise, each program could have been skated in separate segments and then edited together with rest time in between.

Last edited:

muptgirl

On the Ice
As someone wrote on another forum, there's a big difference between preparing to skate for a video shoot and training hard for months to get ready for Nationals.
Also there's no guarantee that those two programs that were filmed, were skated just once for the SP and once for the FD. With the wonders of editing and Jordan's expertise, each program could have been skated in seperate segments and then edited together with rest time in between.
Also noticed they really didn't do any lifts. While gorgeous and stunning, not all the technical elements for competition seemed to be there

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Also noticed they really didn't do any lifts. While gorgeous and stunning, not all the technical elements for competition seemed to be there
This may have been the exhibition version of the program, which may show up some day in Stars on Ice or similar venues. I do think that they could have a long career in show skating, if they choose that route. Not only can they do lyrical programs, but they have a real flair for comedy—a winning combination

icewhite

Record Breaker

Yeah, the lift thing was also the thing I thought about, but could you not just do a very basic lift? Not to win, just to be there for the audience? - but I guess I don't have the mindset of a sports competitor and from their side it might look very different.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, the lift thing was also the thing I thought about, but could you not just do a very basic lift? Not to win, just to be there for the audience? - but I guess I don't have the mindset of a sports competitor and from their side it might look very different.
As a former competitive ice dancer who'd been concussed several times the answer is no. This is for safety and other reasons, including that there's alot more than most think that go into competing.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Oddly, I think H/B training in Montreal and seeing Chock/Bates and Fear/Gibson do these insane lifts must have been somewhat demoralizing for them. H/B had so many other outstanding qualities but I think their efforts to at least be competitive in lifts led to multiple concussions and, in the big scheme, not worth their health. No hard evidence, just imo.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. He was there and he hung out with Jackie during one of the practice sessions, which are hopefully still up on Peacock.