• Other

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Men’s event at the Olympic Winter Games looks wide open and the battle between the “quad kings” should be fierce. All top contenders have multiple quadruple jumps planned and they will need them to get on to the podium in PyeongChang. On the other hand, the increase in technical difficulty has led to less consistency in the performances so that anything could happen on the ice in Korea.

The accomplished veterans are up against the newcomers from this Olympic cycle. 2017 World silver medalist Shoma Uno (JPN) tops the seasons best list with 319.84 points, but he achieved that score at a Challenger Series competition early in the season in September. At the Grand Prix Final, Uno lost to ISU Grand Prix Final Champion Nathan Chen (USA), who has a seasons best of 293.79 points from the Grand Prix in Moscow in October. More recently, Boyang Jin (CHN) beat Uno at the ISU Four Continents Championships last month in Taipei to win the title and to set a seasons best of 300.95 points.

They all have to watch out for six-time European Champion Javier Fernandez (ESP) who is eager to win the first Olympic Figure Skating medal for his country and comes with a seasons best of 295.55 points to Korea.

Reigning Olympic Champion Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) is the big unknown in this equation. Hanyu scored a seasons best of 290.77 points at Rostelecom Cup in Moscow in October, but then suffered an ankle injury in practice at NHK Trophy and has not competed since.

Three-time World Champion and 2014 Olympic silver medalist Patrick Chan (CAN) should not be counted out, although he decided to cut down the number of quads in his routines, planning for two quadruple toes in the Free Skating and one in the Short Program.

Other contenders to watch include ISU Grand Prix Final bronze medalist Mikhail Kolyada (OAR), ISU Grand Prix Finalist Adam Rippon (USA), European silver medalist Dmitri Aliev (OAR), Keiji Tanaka (JPN) and Misha Ge (UZB). 2014 Olympic bronze medalist Denis Ten (KAZ) is back, but has been handicapped by a severe ankle injury sustained last August.

As the International Olympic Committee has suspended the Russian National Olympic Committee, individual Russian athletes will be competing as Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR) in PyeongChang. A total of 30 Men representing 21 ISU Members will compete at the Olympic Winter Games and the best placed 24 competitors in the Short Program will qualify for the final Free Skating. Malaysia will be represented for the first time at Olympic Winter Games with Julian Zhi Jie Yee.

The schedule of theOlympic Men’s event is as follows:

Friday, February 16: Men’s Short Program
Saturday, February 17: Men’s Free Skating

Last edited:

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I voted Nathan, I just hope we don't have to endure another injury live (a la Daniel Samohin) with all the quads planned along with Olympic pressure.

I went with Boyang Jin. His last outing (4 Continents LP, where he beat Uno) was amazing. He has to keep it up. Nathan Chen has the opposite problem. He must put his last performance behind him. Hanyu is still a question mark at this time.

concorde

Medalist
Very sad. At least 2 of this 5 listed will go home with no medal from the event.:sad4:

And that is with no surprises!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I voted for Nathan Chen but I'm hoping that Yuzuru or Shoma win.

I only have one real hope for the medals: that Javier gets a medal. Please, please skating Gods..

I also hope that Patrick skates well because from what his teammates have said he's in a very tender emotional state right now and that Misha Ge skates well because I love him.

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I voted for Nathan Chen but I'm hoping that Yuzuru or Shoma win.

I only have one real hope for the medals: that Javier gets a medal. Please, please skating Gods..

I also hope that Patrick skates well because from what his teammates have said he's in a very tender emotional state right now and that Misha Ge skates well because I love him.

Just curious, what his teammates said? Is there an article or interview out there to see? I hope he isn't beating himself up too much.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As usual, I took the poll question literally.:laugh: Tonight I think Nathan will finish at the top, and I voted for him. I also really want him to win the short program with Nemesis. It will be a thrilling moment musically, expression-wise, dance-wise and incredible technique-wise. Also such a tribute to how he's pulled everyone else and the sport forward.

Tomorrow night? well, I'll re-think that question tomorrow. I will say that my Dream Podium is Javier, Nathan, and Yuzuru in any order really. I just want gorgeous performances from all of them and I want them to be happy with their skates.

I also think Boyang is a real wild card. With his penchant for peaking at exactly the right time ....

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It saddens me how few people voted for Javier :sad21:

I like Javier, I really do, but I don't think he's got quite enough to compete with Boyang, Yuzuru, Shoma, and Nathan if everyone's clean. However, that's a huge if. His salchow and toe if done cleanly along with the axel might put him about messy programs with more advanced quads.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It saddens me how few people voted for Javier :sad21:

Well, the question was about tonight. I hope Javier wins gold tomorrow ... I think how he won 2016 Worlds is how he operates at full velocity. That's what I want to see from him: technique that's gorgeous and adequate to compete with the other top men ... and charm and artistry and passion that just can't be denied!:luv17:

blackey

On the Ice
While everyone's attention is on hanyu/nathan, I kinda hope shoma would surprise the world..

Putina

On the Ice
Jin gets my vote based on recent performance as well as the base value of his program. I am expecting some combination of 4Lz, 4F, and 3A from both Jin and Chen. Whoever lands those hardest jumps best will have a lead, most likely.

Edit: Just to add that Vincent Zhou is another one who probably attempts a similar jump layout. I will be curious to see what kind of score he receives with a clean skate. That we have so many men executing 4Lz, and that it is their best jump, boggles the mind.

MedoLove

On the Ice
Yes, Nathan can have all those quads, but from what we saw in the SP team, the boy still doesn't dominate his mind, I doubt very much that he took two clean programs.
On the other hand, this is the second olympic for Yuzuru, he has lost the whole season and surely he is hungry for victory.
I'm sorry, but Nathan still has an immature skate, his lines, expression, hands, choreography, don't compare to Hanyu's.
In fact, I think Shoma , Jin and Javier may have more possibilities.

In any case, Singles tend to be a festival of falls for everyone. The one who manages to calm his mind will win.:confused2:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I still believe in Nathan. I think he's a bit angry and frustrated after the team event.