2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 696 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Fluture

Record Breaker
Stasya is #1 senior at RusNats, like we or no. Rusfed actually tends to stick to rusnats order.
To be fair, this season Stasya did much better than last season, internationally.

WTT - skaters are invited afaik
Not sure if its a good deal for Zhenya, though - because right now, she can pretty much finish the season and start working on new stuff. If she gets WTT, she is still not going to major ISU comps like Worlds and Euros, but would still have to keep training her current programs and remain in competitive shape.

Well, I still don‘t understand this decision about Universiade as I think in the past (2017) Elena Radionova and Liza were sent and none of them were top seniors this season. Usually they send a different team to Universiade because the depth is so big that it would make sense to have the A team with the Euros/Worlds ladies and then a second team for Universiade. Masha and Zhenya both would have deserved to go, but given the situation with Liza it‘s absolutely understandable that they‘d send her. But I don‘t understand Stasya and I won‘t. She‘s prone to nerves, we all know that and sending her to Euros, Worlds and Universiade seems a bit much to me. But that‘s just my opinion and I can’t change things anyway.

About Zhenya: I do think she needs another competition where the stakes aren‘t as high but she can get a bit more experience this season. That‘s why I was so keen on her getting the Universiade spot. She‘s never been there and from what I‘ve seen from te 2017 one the Japanese don‘t send their A team there so she could get the chance to end the season with a medal. WTT is a fun competition so it should fulfill these purposes, too and it’s a great way to raise one‘s SB. Zhenya has a good one already but I feel it could mentally help her to have a competition with her Russian team mates and end the season with a SB.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Who are these 3 new Eteri juniors coming to the jgp next season ? I haven’t heard of them yet. Are they even age eligible?

No, that‘s why they‘re not on the JGP yet. :laugh: I personally only know Daria Usacheva and Kamila Valieva. The third could be a girl named Maria Kromykh (? Sorry, if I spelled the name wrongly) but she isn‘t all the rage like the other pre-juniors Daria and especially Kamila are. I personally like Kamila a lot, her spins remind me of Yulia. But she sometimes pauses a lot when she does her 3Lz-3T combo. Haven‘t seen a lot of Daria. The two of them (and the third girl probably too, just because I don’t know her doesn’t have to mean she’s bad or smth) are certainly talented but I‘ll reserve my expectations on them becoming the next Kostornaya - Trusova - Shcherbakova trio.

About the power trio. Anna winning senior nationals is certainly a good sign on her becoming senior next year. It would have felt not so good had the trio been split apart. I was, too, one of those who considered having Anna stay in juniors next year because I felt it would have been good for her to get some more experience (she missed the last junior year due to injury) and learn to deal with her nerves better. But these nationals showed that she can deal with nerves. She just has to learn how to do it when a lot of attention is on her (like at JGPF) because here she wasn‘t as expected to win or even medal as all the drama was about Medvedeva and Zagitova. But I really like these three and despite having my favourites (Alena > Anna > Sasha), I love their rivalry and the fact that they seem to be pretty equal and there is no real leader. Sometimes they win against each other, sometimes they lose. That‘s how a great rivalry should look like. Now we‘ve had Alena for JGPF title and Anna for Senior Nats, there‘s only Junior Nats and Worlds left. And given that Sasha was second twice already now, I‘m sure she‘ll be more than determined to win at least one of the next two competitions. We are in for some exciting competitions. :yahoo:

SkySkater

On the Ice
Who are these 3 new Eteri juniors coming to the jgp next season ? I haven’t heard of them yet. Are they even age eligible?

I imagine that the three they are referring to are, Maya Khromykh, Daria Usacheva and Kamila Valieva. There are also rumours that Eteri may have taken Ksenia Chistyakova who is a year older and was junior eligible this year.

Out of these Daria is my favourite though she has a pretty bad flutz--she doens't even jump it in the short like Alena does but she has a beautiful double axel which I could see becoming a triple and really solid jumps otherwise. Kamila is currently the top one out of the three though and she has really nice spins though she also has lutz problems both on the edge and also in the way she lands it which is very perculiar. Maya Khromykh is probably the underdog of the group and she's very tall with limbs that she's just getting used so she is still a bit gangly and she had a late start to the season so she may have been injured and I'm not sure if she's going to be able to go to junior nats as a result. Ksenia was just taken by Eteri recently popping up in a video posted by the dancing instructor and she is very nice but really inconsistent and her main advantage over the other three will be that she will be senior eligible the year before the Olympics.

pearly

Record Breaker
I think Russian Nationals was a very interesting ladies event and a number of ladies have a lot to be happy about.

The juniors about their sweep. It's crazy that Jr Worlds podium could very well have the same medalists as Russian Sr nationals.
Alina about winning the short and getting a spot to Euros.
Medvedeva about getting the second highest PCS for the short, receiving enormous support from the crown, highest PCS for the free and best senior free overall. Also for getting the first big competition in Russia since the move out of the way.
Stanislava about finishing as the higest ranked senior and claiming a spot to Euros. (Fair is fair, but I will never get over her going to Sr Worlds last year after her performance at JWC).
Sofia for getting that Euros spot as well.
Tuktamysheva for missing this whole mess :biggrin: (although I'm sure she'd rather be there competing) and securing a well deserved spot for Worlds.
Plus a number of other ladies who had great performances.

madison

Record Breaker
I think Russian Nationals was a very interesting ladies event and a number of ladies have a lot to be happy about.

The juniors about their sweep. It's crazy that Jr Worlds podium could very well have the same medalists as Russian Sr nationals.
Alina about winning the short and getting a spot to Euros.
Medvedeva about getting the second highest PCS for the short, receiving enormous support from the crown, highest PCS for the free and best senior free overall. Also for getting the first big competition in Russia since the move out of the way.
Stanislava about finishing as the higest ranked senior and claiming a spot to Euros. (Fair is fair, but I will never get over her going to Sr Worlds last year after her performance at JWC).
Sofia for getting that Euros spot as well.
Tuktamysheva for missing this whole mess :biggrin: (although I'm sure she'd rather be there competing) and securing a well deserved spot for Worlds.
Plus a number of other ladies who had great performances.

It was indeed a mess. Although I really enjoyed the juniors, in the end I was left with the feeling that something is wrong. While I agree that is good for juniors to compete here as they gain more competitive experience with seniors, i thing that it should have been more about seniors. I feel that in a way they were deprived by medals and put in a shadow. We all know that the juniors are great and their time will come (very soon). Maybe Rus Fed will find a formula that allows the juniors to compete, but the medals in the end of the day will go to the seniors.

pearly

Record Breaker
It was indeed a mess. Although I really enjoyed the juniors, in the end I was left with the feeling that something is wrong. While I agree that is good for juniors to compete here as they gain more competitive experience with seniors, i thing that it should have been more about seniors. I feel that in a way they were deprived by medals and put in a shadow. We all know that the juniors are great and their time will come (very soon). Maybe Rus Fed will find a formula that allows the juniors to compete, but the medals in the end of the day will go to the seniors.

I think this result gives Jr ladies a psychological advantage both in Russia and at Worlds in March. However it's a good thing seniors have a chance to claim another major medal before Worlds instead of going head to head with the Japanese medalists as Russia's, say, number 5 and 6.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
It was indeed a mess. Although I really enjoyed the juniors, in the end I was left with the feeling that something is wrong. While I agree that is good for juniors to compete here as they gain more competitive experience with seniors, i thing that it should have been more about seniors. I feel that in a way they were deprived by medals and put in a shadow. We all know that the juniors are great and their time will come (very soon). Maybe Rus Fed will find a formula allows the juniors to compete, but the medals in the end of the day will go to the seniors.

Meanwhile here I am completely ecstatic about the outcome :laugh: They made it more interesting for me

pearly

Record Breaker
Meanwhile here I am completely ecstatic about the outcome :laugh: They made it more interesting for me

I am too, but for the reasons I wrote above. Something good for everyone and a statement from the Seniors that they are not DONE as fans like to determine after a single lost level or negative GOE.

karina17

Final Flight
Oleg Vasiliev (OGM in pars with Valova, and a coach now) shard his thoughts about the RusNats ladies.

1) Zagitova is better than Medvedeva now.
2) Samodurova may have a medal after Tukt withdraw.
3) There is no good reason to push Trusova and Kostornaya to Seniors.

The last he explained as those two are "not ready yet but may scare others". Let them grow up enough to participate as real Seniors and not as Juniors among Seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87y8HV_rdws
(Russian only for now)

The juniors’ part was funny when it was first posted and it’s hilarious now. The juniors were so unready for seniors that they all medaled.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Honestly, the likes of Gubanova and Tarakonova should just skate for other countries (e.g. Belarus, Kazakhstan) so they can experience just being able to compete at worlds. The bias of their fed against them is disappointing.

I don't think there is an actual bias against them but that's what i keep talking about, the insane push for certain skaters like Evgenia, Stanislava or Alina prevent other skaters to even compete.

Gubanova had few rough outings, also she switched coaches and if i remember correctly they weren't sure whether to keep her in juniors or seniors at first. She was supposed to be at Rostelecom Cup but then Samodurova medalled at Skate America so it was fair for her to give her the second spot.

Tarakanova did great this season, here at Nationals she made a mistake in the SP and the starting order didn't give her any favor.

It's not just them, Nugumanova also never had a chance in seniors and in Russia she is never rewarded for her artistry (and that's one of the major flaws of scoring in Russia, nobody has a taste, PCS is reputation only, so if you want compete you have to rely on the jumps).

Sakhanovich wasn't even allowed to compete at Nationals because they sent her at an incredibly tough Cup of Russia stage (stage 5 or 4) where all the Eteri girls were there, so basically impossible to medal.

Samodurova also was in that position and now she is building a reputation with clean skates, medals and some rant by Mishin against the Federation. Still despite all of that, even this season they aren't sending her to the Europeans or Worlds.

The system is deeply flawed but nobody cares because your favourite skater is probably one of those special cases.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
They actually are sending Samodurova to the Europeans and World is still undecided, so everything is possible.

(And a quick hello from a first-time poster and a relatively new FS fan! :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
They actually are sending Samodurova to the Europeans and World is still undecided, so everything is possible.

(And a quick hello from a first-time poster and a relatively new FS fan! :)

Yes but they made it in a way that it's either her or Liza, Stasya's spot is locked. (and i'm not against any of these girls, i like all of them, but we have to keep in mind that the three girls at the finals were Alina, Elizaveta and Sofia)

And that doesn't change everything that happened before, Samodurova was a nobody until last season she beated Eteri's girls twice (Tarakanova and Kostornaia and other japanese skaters) in juniors, and after a season of only clean performances is still on the edge and she may not go to Euro and Worlds.

(Welcome to Golden Skate!)