2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 751 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Agree about Sotskova :( she has been doing a lot of ice shows recently, so maybe that is in her future?

Oh, I figured! I just wanted to make it clear: the majority of posters can recognise tone and what’s appropriate for a thread and what isn’t. If a fan fest is having a more analytical and critical discussion, I may chime in if I have something to add, but walking into other people’s happy place just to rain on a parade... nah. I do think that a Russian Ladies General Fan Fest thread might be a good idea and solve a number of problems, but I’d check with the moderators first. Also, use the ignore function if you don’t need a regular reminder that Russia didn’t have a podium finish in women’s singles at Worlds last year. ([emoji849])

Sotskova’s short this season is one of my favourites. Go get that show money, Masha!

And while Konstantinova is a bit like human Ambien to me (she seems like a sweet girl but my mind wanders when she skates), I can't deny that her fundamental skating qualities are superb. I see what TAT likes about her. There's a classic cleanliness to her skating that I can appreciate even if she isn't the most exciting competitor. She and Sotskova have so much polish.
Aha! The “human Ambien” term is spreading! My mission on this earth is complete! ;)

Sotskova and Konstantinova both have superb basics: skating skills, glide, speed, edgework, posture, etc. The “classic cleanliness” — yes, there’s also an element of self-assurance in their deportment and their movement that I very much enjoy. To me, they show some of the best of the Russian skating tradition. That’s some 6.0 technique.

It's not that we don't like them, and yes Sotskova is a very good quality skater but the issues on the jumps are very clear and when you create that impression, judges are not going to reward you much even when you skate clean. Think about Polina Edmunds.
To be honest, I remember a lot of posts during the pre- and post- Olympic era full of complaints that if it weren’t for the Russian federation propping up Masha, we could have had more Eteri students for the OWG and WC teams, that Masha has hideous Tanos, etc. Nothing about her skating skills. And, yes, she is URing quite a bit this season, which is almost certainly related to the fact that she’s experienced a change in height, but to say she’s done forever is crazy — a description that matches both Alina and Masha. But Masha doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt or defense, which was what I meant by my comment that she doesn’t seem to be especially well-loved by most posters. (Which is fine. I have strange taste. Just acknowledging the reality.)

I dislike how URs are handled in the current scoring system, but that’s a different topic. Regardless, I hope Masha either leaves competitive skating proud of her achievements or is able to fix her rotation issues. She does have solid jump technique in most respects — and a true blue, clear-outside-edge Lutz — but I don’t know what can or will be done to deal with the UR issue. Actually, I’m strapped for examples of skaters who fixed chronic URs, particularly after a change in height. (I’m not talking about a higher chance of URing a particularly problematic jump or a jump late in the programme, but a clear issue with gaining the height or speed to complete rotation in air.) In fact, I’m only coming up with examples to the country — Mao fought the battle for in-air rotation to the end of her competitive career, for example.
It's a shame cause i think both Masha and Polina could still be very successful skaters as they were previously, it's just a matter of work harder on jumps and spins levels with people who care about these things, and i wish Buyanova and her team gets better at that cause all their skaters always leave a lot of points.
Maybe. Again, drawing a blank on examples of chronic URs after a significant change in height being “fixed,” or at least meaningfully reduced. And it doesn’t seem like the Russian federation is interested in Masha — it seems like they’ve moved the few chips they had on her to the 3A. Which is fair. That’s life. And looking at the probabilities... it’s the smart choice. All that aside, I really hope Masha keeps skating, competitively or otherwise.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Kanysheva's low PCS is mostly due to Junior scoring which is heavily based on your technical abilities, and even if you are the most artistic skater you get 0.50 or 1 point more overall than the rest of the competition so not worth it there, but in seniors it's different.

That's why i think staying juniors when you can move to seniors is rarely a good idea in ladies figure skating nowadays

Oh, I see. That makes sense.

I liked Frolova here, too, and I found the 10 point difference from the top in PCS to be overkill (It seemed to be Kamila > Maya and Alena >>>> the rest of the field in terms of PCS). But Frolova struggled a lot technically, so the score is consistent with what you’re saying.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
https://youtu.be/3aE3nqxn8X8

Just to lighten the mood a little, here is Elenas performance at music on ice 2019. Her spins look great, and shes looking like she really enjoys it...her jumps are still a question mark, and if it's still because of the injury

andromache

Record Breaker
I've been a Sotskova fan for awhile. I liked her more quiet, classical programs last season, and I like her more unique programs this season. And 100% agree with Metis on her skating quality and deportment. Unfortunately, I do not think there going to be any fixing of her URs. She may be able to minimize them (like Ashley Wagner) for some period of time, but she will always be at risk, and the new rule on URs (no quarter turn forgiveness anymore) is particularly harsh for her.

Interestingly, I'm just not seeing the similarities between her and Konstantinova, however. Maybe it's my own bias? Konstantinova always seems to me to be a "messy" skater, especially in terms of choreography. I will have to try watching her with a new frame of mind.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Konstantinova always seems to me to be a "messy" skater, especially in terms of choreography. I will have to try watching her with a new frame of mind.

I think Konstantinova (and Kolyada, especially in previous seasons) has a tendency to incorporate too much hand flailing in her programs. It could be a choreographic issue, or a matter of simply not knowing what to do with one’s hands, so you end up either flailing them too much or awkwardly keeping them to the side. I also find Stasya’s posture slouchy at times, though she has improved a lot from last season. The biggest problem for me is that her Anna Karenina is hopelessly dull, mainly because of the music cuts: there are no changes in mood, no climax, no ending.

The short program is a lot more suited to her speed and power—the step sequence at RusNats was one of the highlights of the event for me. Skating skills aside, I agree she is rough around the edges, and the URs need to be cleaned up.

malya

On the Ice
I think they'd kick out the current lowest participant (in this example: Eva Kobzar)

It seems brutal to get kicked out of jrNats a few days before it starts... Sima did not get added to the Senior ladies, so I'm not sure it will happen, let's see. Still a great showing from Maya!

Btw Kanysheva got 58 pcs in her FS with 'a major international junior medal' at a national competition here after she got 61 internationally at the JGPF. Irks. I think her and Tarakanova will have a hard time getting 200pts even if they go clean at jrNats :(

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I've been a Sotskova fan for awhile.
High-five!

Interestingly, I'm just not seeing the similarities between her and Konstantinova, however. Maybe it's my own bias? Konstantinova always seems to me to be a "messy" skater, especially in terms of choreography. I will have to try watching her with a new frame of mind.
They’re similar below the ankle for me, or maybe from the knee down. Konstantinova has more raw speed and breathtaking glide across the ice, whereas Masha is more refined in her edgework and especially in her upper-body movement. I also echo everything rachno2 wrote — I actually cut a line about finding Konstantinova’s AK programme to be dull, as the music is classical-lite and becomes quite mushy. What I do like about Konstantinova is the self-assurance she brings to some of her movement, but her upper-body is a bit wild and not in a way that serves her well. I already said I’m a fan of Kaori’s, and she’s also not known for the most elegant upper-body movement — but with Kaori, there’s a looseness to her style that I find really charming and warm, particularly in the short, and it moves from being a flaw to almost an aesthetic choice. With Konstantinova, especially in the free due to the styling, the lack of control is much more obvious and clearly not an artistic choice.

I really wish Konstantinova would try something like this again, as the programme was a great fit. Not sure why they kept Karenina — she could have tried a new programme in the same general style if they wanted to work on refinement and lyricism. But my biggest problem with her Karenina programme is that if I didn’t know it was Karenina, I wouldn’t have the first clue what it was about. (The purple dress is to die for, though.)
https://youtu.be/PJkNIa0HHpM

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I just bought my tickets to the junior worlds competition, and I need your help! What kind of teddies should I buy for the 3A? Recommend away!

PS. If someone else is going, maybe we can meet up!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I just bought my tickets to the junior worlds competition, and I need your help! What kind of teddies should I buy for the 3A? Recommend away!

Since these girls all have little doggies for pets, I suggest little pluche dogs for their collection.
Or those squeaky doggie toys, small chow ropes, etc., teddy bears they probably have more than enough.

When you attach a message with kind words and a return address, you might even get a nice response back for you to cherish :)

PS: probably best choice for competition to attend. You'll get to see and possibly meet many Visitors from the Future, i.e. future world champions.
And the level of skating, esp. difficulty is much higher in the best juniors from RUS, JPN, KOR, CAN and other nations.
Zagreb should be nice city to visit and explore.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

I think Konstantinova (and Kolyada, especially in previous seasons) has a tendency to incorporate too much hand flailing in her programs.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the most fundamental aspect of Konstantinova's skating, as in what's happening with her blades. Her flailing arms notwithstanding, if one looks at her feet even if just in practice or warmups, it's very apparent that someone taught her very solid basic skating skills. Choreography is a whole other bucket of chicken. Like Sotskova, I don't think she's a natural performer per se, but also like Sotskova, her basic blade work is very nice. That's what I appreciate about them both even when the jumps or the choreography aren't there. It's subtle but I think it's an aspect of figure skating that's sadly undervalued by fans (and the IJS) these days.

ETA: Shout out to Metis for "human Ambien" and also for pointing out how much I love their 6.0 technique. It makes me miss the good ol' days.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Just to clarify, I was talking about the most fundamental aspect of Konstantinova's skating, as in what's happening with her blades. Her flailing arms notwithstanding, if one looks at her feet even if just in practice or warmups, it's very apparent that someone taught her very solid basic skating skills. Choreography is a whole other bucket of chicken. Like Sotskova, I don't think she's a natural performer per se, but also like Sotskova, her basic blade work is very nice. That's what I appreciate about them both even when the jumps or the choreography aren't there. It's subtle but I think it's an aspect of figure skating that's sadly undervalued by fans (and the IJS) these days.

ETA: Shout out to Metis for "human Ambien" and also for pointing out how much I love their 6.0 technique. It makes me miss the good ol' days.

Konstantinova also has a large amount of pre-rotation.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Since these girls all have little doggies for pets, I suggest little pluche dogs for their collection.
Or those squeaky doggie toys, small chow ropes, etc., teddy bears they probably have more than enough.

When you attach a message with kind words and a return address, you might even get a nice response back for you to cherish :)

PS: probably best choice for competition to attend. You'll get to see and possibly meet many Visitors from the Future, i.e. future world champions.
And the level of skating, esp. difficulty is much higher in the best juniors from RUS, JPN, KOR, CAN and other nations.
Zagreb should be nice city to visit and explore.

Thank you!
I got very excited after finding out that this competition is in Zagreb since it's very close Macedonia. This was the same day as the FP at Russian Nationals and I was like "I have to do go!" It will be sooo exciting, and the all-events tickets were only 16 euros. And just like you say, I'm also looking forward to exploring Zagreb in the free time too ^_^

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I don't know how feasible this is, but Sasha clearly adores Tina, so maybe if you see something that looks like her?

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea

:agree2: I might attend as well, still considering (but when will 3A perform this close to us again?).

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
As a huge fan of Masha i’m very glad she’s finally getting recognition. I’ve always maintained the opinion that Masha’s skating skills were very good and stable, but a lot of people seem to really underestimate her. She’s a little slow at times, but the edges are so deep, and moves are so precise. It’s absolutely unjustified that she’s getting ~7.50s in SS this year.

rachno2

Record Breaker

I would love it if somebody made Sasha a Kill Bill-inspired plushy (or Fifth Element!) Maybe a dog dressed up in the yellow tracksuit :laugh:

Scott512

Record Breaker
It won’t look bad on ISU or IOC for limiting spots by nationality.

Otherwise Norway would take all the skiing slots and Canada all the curling ones. It’s about nations coming together in high level competition.

Its not high level if you have several average competitors in olympic events. If Norway has the most elite skiers in the world then they should have more skiers in the Olympics than other countries do. It should work that way in figure skating too but it doesn't and it probably never will.