2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So adding those skaters, I have 30. They say they had 49, so still a bunch more. Although I bet several of those are dance teams, which are two people.

I forgot to ID some pairs. :palmf:

Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott

---

Welcome back TGee!

The canned response to anything Stephen does will be "well he's Russian". Then the canned question will be "well if he's Russian why did he choose Canada?" And the dog will chase its tail... ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:cheer: for TGee woot !!!!!

Yeah... it was the same with Milos Raonic and now Shapovalov in tennis... well... he is from Montenegro... well he is Russian...

yeah... and they moved to Canada as children and learned tennis through Tennis Canada... as a matter of fact, all Canadians come from somewhere else... UGH...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
:cheer: for TGee woot !!!!!

Yeah... it was the same with Milos Raonic and now Shapovalov in tennis... well... he is from Montenegro... well he is Russian...

yeah... and they moved to Canada as children and learned tennis through Tennis Canada... as a matter of fact, all Canadians come from somewhere else... UGH...

Unless you're First Nations!

Though I haven't heard of many First Nations skaters.

Actually I haven't heard of many skaters from the Territories either. The last one I heard of was Rachel Pettitt. Who retired after some success at the junior level.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Actually I haven't heard of many skaters from the Territories either. The last one I heard of was Rachel Pettitt. Who retired after some success at the junior level.

First Nations were first to come to Canada from somewhere else :) I think I saw a program in nunavut for figure skating.

I am having a weird day... cannot explain what's happening to me other than "weird day" ... is today special in history?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

So many great professional hockey players too numerous to count, that have come from the First Nation's community. Here are but a few; Reggie Leitch. Bryan Trottier, Dale McCourt, Ted Nolan, Theo Fleury, John Chabot, Jordin Tootoo and Carey Price, to name a few. I am sure there many in figure skating also.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The canned response to anything Stephen does will be "well he's Russian". Then the canned question will be "well if he's Russian why did he choose Canada?" And dog will chase its tail... ;)

Oh my god, if Carol Lane says that while commentating on CBC about Gogo, I can die happy, but it’s will be a painful death, as I’ll be laughing so hard I’ll kneel over and croak. :rofl:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i can finally get yuzudaughter off your hands... i will sell her on the corner of the street.... there are a lot of gangs there always recruiting... how much do you think I could get? 500 $?

In the province of Quebec? Probably fifty cents, because she doesn’t speak French. :laugh2: She’s at that age in school where thry learn how to conjugate etre and avoir... so useful in life when that’s pretty well all you’re taught from grade four to grade nine, more verb conjugations! But not how to use them in a sentence! :palmf:

Sarah, bring Andrew's new daughter also...as he can't remove any batteries! :scard8:

:devil: :laugh2:

————-

Unrelated but I didn’t want to spam this thread too much: are they trolling Pap/Ciz with that group number in SOI, featuring D/R, W/P and V/M? :laugh: I’m just catching up on SOI videos via YouTube now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In the province of Quebec? Probably fifty cents, because she doesn’t speak French. :laugh2: She’s at that age in school where thry learn how to conjugate etre and avoir... so useful in life when that’s pretty well all you’re taught from grade four to grade nine, more verb conjugations! But not how to use them in a sentence! :palmf:

:devil: :laugh2:

————-

Unrelated but I didn’t want to spam this thread too much: are they trolling Pap/Ciz with that group number in SOI, featuring D/R, W/P and V/M? :laugh: I’m just catching up on SOI videos via YouTube now.

for what yuzudaughter would do... no need for French... :slink:

now for your more relevant to this thread question :) i had the same reaction ;) shade shade shade... and that number was wonderful.

TGee

Record Breaker
So many great professional hockey players too numerous to count, that have come from the First Nation's community. Here are but a few; Reggie Leitch. Bryan Trottier, Dale McCourt, Ted Nolan, Theo Fleury, John Chabot, Jordin Tootoo and Carey Price, to name a few. I am sure there many in figure skating also.
Clearly, I've been gone too long...

I do recall trying to get a indigenous skaters fest going at one point.

Nunavut has been trying to get its skaters out to competitions.

Here's a story on them sending their first ever team to the Arctic Winter Games.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4590560

I saw a contingent from the Iqaluit club at the EO spring festival in April 2017... but this year that event didn't really happen.

Skate Ontario doesn't think that STAR 1-4s need more than one event a year ...and then is surprised that kids lose interest if that one is oversubscribed or they have to withdraw due to illness or injury [emoji34]. So, if we don't have space for SO skaters, initiatives to build capacity in the north or reach indigenous or other marginalized groups are out of sight and mind...

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ I am weeping and leaping at the same time, TGee. How much did I miss you over this season, and so pleased to see your Posts again, as each one is a pearl! We have longed wished for this moment...my GS/and other Forum friends, are amazing! Just sayin'.

Glad to have you back!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I forgot to ID some pairs. :palmf:

Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott

---

Welcome back TGee!

The canned response to anything Stephen does will be "well he's Russian". Then the canned question will be "well if he's Russian why did he choose Canada?" And dog will chase its tail... ;)

I guessed that those two pairs were among the ones at the camp. Also, Lissa Mcgaghey was in that picture of the girls. I missed her the first time since the tags are so close together. So we have:

Men
- Joseph Phan
- Conrad Orzel
- Eric Liu
- Brian Chiem
- Stephen Gogolev
- Alec Guinzbourg
- Ilya Kovler

Women
- Aurora Cotop
- Amelia Orzel
- Olivia Gran
- Emily Bausback
- Sarah-Maude Blanchard
- Sandrine Bouchard
- Daria Carr
- Victoria Bocknek
- Leah Lee
- Catherine Carle
- Alison Schumacher
- Emma Bulawka
- Melauire Boivin
- Lissa Mcgaghey

Pairs
- Pouliot/Simard
- McIntosh/Toste
- Boys-Eddy siblings
- Levesque/Hudon
- Andrew/Knott

Dance
- D'Alessandro/Waddell
- Fisher/Malette-Paquette

That leaves 14. I'm sure we're missing at least a couple of dance teams. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Perreault/Pierro, Corey Circelli, and Aleksa Rakic.

Haleth

On the Ice
Clearly, I've been gone too long...

I do recall trying to get a indigenous skaters fest going at one point.

Nunavut has been trying to get its skaters out to competitions.

Here's a story on them sending their first ever team to the Arctic Winter Games.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4590560

I saw a contingent from the Iqaluit club at the EO spring festival in April 2017... but this year that event didn't really happen.

Skate Ontario doesn't think that STAR 1-4s need more than one event a year ...and then is surprised that kids lose interest if that one is oversubscribed or they have to withdraw due to illness or injury [emoji34]. So, if we don't have space for SO skaters, initiatives to build capacity in the north or reach indigenous or other marginalized groups are out of sight and mind...

That's so frustrating, to say the least! Figure skating is already a challenge for people outside the north because of the cost and time involved; I shudder to think what the price of equipment etc. is up there. So if you don't provide multiple opportunities and initiatives how do the they expect kids and parents to stick with it in the long run?

TGee

Record Breaker
He may be ageing out of Juniors and NextGen, but what about Matthew Markell.

National Junior Champion should imply consideration and access to a performance camp.

He's gone quiet on social media since withdrawing from Nice. Did I miss something?

TGee

Record Breaker
That's so frustrating, to say the least! Figure skating is already a challenge for people outside the north because of the cost and time involved; I shudder to think what the price of equipment etc. is up there. So if you don't provide multiple opportunities and initiatives how do the they expect kids and parents to stick with it in the long run?
Skate Ontario has opened the interclub StarSkate competitions provincewide rather than keeping them local, so one can travel to other regions for those.

But again, interclubs are one day events and oversubscription is now an issue with section-wide registration... and it's no help to folks from the far north.

SO is arguing that more low level training seminars will be offered instead, but how well they serve marginalized areas/groups is a question. And how much a one day seminar offers a young skater at that level of development is debatable.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Perreault/Pierro, Corey Circelli, and Aleksa Rakic.

All the above were at the camp.

He may be ageing out of Juniors and NextGen, but what about Matthew Markell.

National Junior Champion should imply consideration and access to a performance camp.

He's gone quiet on social media since withdrawing from Nice. Did I miss something?

Markell was not at the camp. IIRC he is already 18.