2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My mum and I had so much fun at SOI we'll be going to SC in Laval but that brings me to the question of which tickets to buy. I know that some people like the area behind the judges because the skaters' programs are all choreographed around them but have also heard that there are sometimes cameras blocking the way. Also that the corners are good for watching combos and the area behind the K&C is good for watching the skaters before and after their program. What do you all like best and why?

i like sitting across from the judges... because we see the butts of the skaters when they choreographed towards the judges LOL just kidding... but so far, i have almost always been sitting in the middle across from the judges and I have liked it as the view is not obstructed. I was once sitting in a corner that was close to the KnC which was fascinating for both seeing jumps and athletes on their way to the KnC.... KnC was boring ;) all the juicy stuff happens while the athlete meets the coach and they walk together to the knc... :) once they sit down they still do their show, but it's more raw on the walk there. However, it's hard to tell on the map if you will be able to sit there and i had a hard time to see what was going on at the other end of the rink... so since then, always center...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I like the corner (or far side near the corner) to the right of the judges. You can see a lot from there, but do miss a few jumps that are very close to the boards on the left side in front of the judges. I've only been to two competitions, but I think I'd feel disoriented to sit somewhere else! I saw a lot of pair twists close-up from there. I think a lot of skaters do elements close to the corners, so it's a matter of whether you want to see some elements really well and others poorly, or want to see everything.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was looking at the Bell Place website for schedule stuff. I'm pretty sure four of the six people they have on that SCI2018 advertisement are unlikely to be competing there, heh.

Re-checking the schedules for past events, the first day is practices and the last is the gala, no? To minimize both travel costs and how much time I need off work, I might skip those.

EDIT - And it's official, I've got my tickets, etc.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’s too bad the Stars on Ice crew missed the Rideau Hall gathering for the Olympic team today. But Piper, Larkyn et al. all seemed to have a great time.

synteis

Medalist
Thanks for the replies everyone, I bought the tickets today for seats to the right of the judges on your excellent advice and am looking forwards to October (and to the announcements in the next couple of weeks about who’ll be there!)

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My mum and I had so much fun at SOI we'll be going to SC in Laval but that brings me to the question of which tickets to buy. I know that some people like the area behind the judges because the skaters' programs are all choreographed around them but have also heard that there are sometimes cameras blocking the way. Also that the corners are good for watching combos and the area behind the K&C is good for watching the skaters before and after their program. What do you all like best and why?

Hi synteis, Where to sit is still an anxious question to me, but this is my (very iimited!)experience so far. At SA2016 I was facing judges, right center, 5 rows up, and it was great for seeing everything and still feeling close to the ice. I did sense some skaters' orientation twds the judges, tho', but not troublesome ("Loco" is great from all angles lol). At SC 2016 I was facing judges, left corner, 8 rows up, and felt that most of the action happened far far away (nearly killed me for Stella Notte) & I sat somewhat turned and looked at the overhead video a lot. Not going to choose that again, if I can help it. For SC 2018 coming up this Fall, buying late, I decided to try judges' side & got judges' right Row P, as close to center bloc as possible. I swear I will forswear making m'self so crazy trying to pick a perfect seat! Just to be there at all is beyond fun & instructive & uplifting! That said, I like center or close to it, maybe 5-8 rows up. If you buy all-event tix you can sit anywhere during practices and try out all angles for another time. But any seat at all is better than not going, imho. Good luck & be happy!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It seems that Skate Canada's NextGen camp was happening, which is why Joseph was at a rink in York in that 4Lz video. From social media, it appears that attendees included:

Men
- Joseph Phan
- Conrad Orzel
- Eric Liu
- Brian Chiem
- ETA: Stephen Gogolev
- ETA2: Iliya Kovler
- Alec Guinzbourg

Women
- Aurora Cotop
- Amelia Orzel
- Olivia Gran
- Emily Bausback
- Sarah-Maude Blanchard
- Sandrine Bouchard
- Daria Carr
- Victoria Bocknek
- Leah Lee
- Catherine Carle
- Alison Schumacher
- Emma Bulawka
- Melauire Boivin

Pairs
- Pouliot/Simard
- ETA: McIntosh/Toste
- ETA2: Boys-Eddy siblings

Dance
- D'Alessandro/Waddell
- Ellie Fisher (and I assume Simon)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
^Also present were Stephen and Brooke & Brandon. Coach Andrew Evans posted a sweet throw. Mervin's supportive comments... :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BihktZIlJZ9/

Some good shots from the Team Canada event today

https://www.instagram.com/p/BikiCqMFuR4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BikPC2pn13r/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bikofq3Fd6M/

ETA
North American Series info (for novice level Canadian & American skaters) has been shared by Skate Ontario: http://www.skateontario.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2018-North-American-Series.pdf

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
haha.... i would not let you stay on the balcony... there would be a couch for you.. .but sarah... meh...

That’s fine with me, if Yuzuru is selected for Skate Canada, I’ll bring a camping mattress and sleep on the balcony with no complaints. Yuzudaughter, on the other hand, can stay inside with you. Have fun with that. :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That’s fine with me, if Yuzuru is selected for Skate Canada, I’ll bring a camping mattress and sleep on the balcony with no complaints. Yuzudaughter, on the other hand, can stay inside with you. Have fun with that. :biggrin:

i can finally get yuzudaughter off your hands... i will sell her on the corner of the street.... there are a lot of gangs there always recruiting... how much do you think I could get? 500 $?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The video of Joseph with the quad Lutz made me think about what the men's competition will look like at next year's nationals. He and Stephen could have notably more quads than Keegan is currently capable of (and he's a lot older, obviously); but conversely, Keegan's presentation skills are on a completely different level from those two at the moment, so he should get much higher marks in that area.

With regard to the next few years in women's skating, Kaetlyn and Gabby can hopefully keep that third spot open for a few more years, and it'd be nice if we could use it to really start developing a third musketeer for the Canadian women's team. There's a spot on the 4CC and Worlds teams wide open for the first younger woman who takes a big leap forward.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I am wondering what Nicolas is up to. He can't just be on the sidelines considering pairs when his training mate is setting himself up as heir apparent to Chiddy.

One of the few good things about a lot of older men retiring is that the younger skaters will get to skate later and get a better shot at earning PCS.

We'll have some idea of who that 3rd lady will be come the Challenger Series assignments. Gotta get those TES minimums and put yourself in the pool for consideration.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am wondering what Nicolas is up to. He can't just be on the sidelines considering pairs when his training mate is setting himself up as heir apparent to Chiddy.

One of the few good things about a lot of older men retiring is that the younger skaters will get to skate later and get a better shot at earning PCS.

We'll have some idea of who that 3rd lady will be come the Challenger Series assignments. Gotta get those TES minimums and put yourself in the pool for consideration.

i am thinking alicia pineault will be in the game this year.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
i am thinking alicia pineault will be in the game this year.

I think Alicia got enough TES scores at 4CC18 for potential 2018-19 minimums so she is already in the game. :thumbsup:

---

I didn't realize until now that there's another social media branch of Skate Canada that's more focused on insiders than the general public. But it's not private.

From that account you can see some big coaches were at NextGen camp. Ravi, Brian, Patch, Bruno, Michelle Leigh, Tracey Wainman, Lee...even Dylan was there. More skaters to add to Snow White's list are Iliya Kovler, Alec Guinzbourg, and the Boys-Eddy siblings. (Glad to see them back after Olivia's injury.)

https://www.facebook.com/SkateCanadaConnections/posts/2180307331985241

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Alicia got enough TES scores at 4CC18 for potential 2018-19 minimums so she is already in the game. :thumbsup:

---

I didn't realize until now that there's another social media branch of Skate Canada that's more focused on insiders than the general public. But it's not private.

From that account you can see some big coaches were at NextGen camp. Ravi, Brian, Patch, Bruno, Michelle Leigh, Tracey Wainman, Lee...even Dylan was there. More skaters to add to Snow White's list are Iliya Kovler, Alec Guinzbourg, and the Boys-Eddy siblings. (Glad to see them back after Olivia's injury.)

https://www.facebook.com/SkateCanadaConnections/posts/2180307331985241

So adding those skaters, I have 30. They say they had 49, so still a bunch more. Although I bet several of those are dance teams, which are two people.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It seems that Skate Canada's NextGen camp was happening, which is why Joseph was at a rink in York in that 4Lz video. From social media, it appears that attendees included:

Men
- Joseph Phan
- Conrad Orzel
- Eric Liu
- Brian Chiem
- ETA: Stephen Gogolev

Women
- Aurora Cotop
- Amelia Orzel
- Olivia Gran
- Emily Bausback
- Sarah-Maude Blanchard
- Sandrine Bouchard
- Daria Carr
- Victoria Bocknek
- Leah Lee
- Catherine Carle
- Alison Schumacher
- Emma Bulawka
- Melauire Boivin

Pairs
- Pouliot/Simard
- ETA: McIntosh/Toste

Dance
- D'Alessandro/Waddell
- Ellie Fisher (and I assume Simon)

This is great, given I just read on a Russian themed thread that, ''Canada pretty interested too, since they have no good junior skaters currently''. Oh contraire poster, Canada as a nation has a different strategy, after receiving more medals in the Olympics and this past Worlds combined than any other nation, and unlike some countries who seek glory early, we prepare for a skaters future and do not subscribe to the philosophy of, 16 and done!

Yes, this is Canada's strategy of growing as the skater does, particularly with Canadian women. It looks like a certain Russian skating star, is now wishing to adopt the same Canadian strategy. Just sayin'.

TGee

Record Breaker
Well O4G,

Brian Orser's response in a Russian media interview is that he has a 13 year old who can land all quads.... Yup, that's all the quads.

It will be interesting to see how perspectives on Canadian skating will be challenged when Stephen Gogolev makes his ISU Junior debut....

And thanks to those who sent a shout out...

I've got some tech challenges, but still peek in from time to time..

TGee

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well O4G,

Brian Orser's response in a Russian media interview is that he has a 13 year old who can land all quads.... Yup, that's all the quads.

It will be interesting to see how perspectives on Canadian skating will be challenged when Stephen Gogolev makes his ISU Junior debut....

And thanks to those who sent a shout out...

I've got some tech challenges, but still peek in from time to time..

TGee

BE STILL HEARTS...TGee, is that really YOU! How I/we have missed you on GS!!! Thanks for checking in my friend; you are never far from our thoughts. And what a season it has been, eh? We are all still giddy here, given 'the Fields of Gold', this season.

I hope you and family are doing well....great to hear from you!

O4G