Most controversial programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most controversial programs

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh lawd yes, 8 years later and I still can't believe they did that. Did no judge say to them "That's seriously offensive...like 'cause an international incident' offensive. Please change it." And if they did and D/S didn't listen then why?!!

Moving on, I would say T/M's Candyman, admittedly I haven't followed skating closely for that long, but apart from the above I've never seen a program torn apart like that one! Of course I'm in the minority of actually enjoying the program and so am thoroughly taken aback by the visceral hate it seems to generate! Yikes!

Judges liked d/s! They wanted them to win an Olympic medal! They knew the OD was a disaster for them so encouraged their doing aboriginal as it had no recognizable dance moves to most and d/s could do anything and indeed they won euro title and be Olympic bronze.

I hate to bring this program up because I like Domnina/Shabalin as a team but... what in the world were they thinking? :palmf: :hopelessness: His injury may have ruined their chance at a long victorious career, but this program ruined their legacy (I mean, that's what most people remember them for - some don't know anything about them outside of this little gem of a number).

Without this program d/s would not have won Olympic bronze. It was very vital and important to avoid any recognizable dance as Shabalin couldn’t do anything with his knee problems. People said do Russian folk instead! Have these people ever seen Russian folk? Men bend their knees very aggressively! Shabalin couldn’t do that!
You are wrong! When d/s did some refinement shows their aboriginal was what they did because audiences demanded it!

It will always be true that Australia could have stopped this dance but they chose not to!! Everyone agreed it violated the rules of the od but no one went to isu to have them ban it. Australia had the standing.

Dominina and Shabalin's horrible original dance for the 2009/2010 season stands out as controversial for me. Racist and offensive on every level from costumes to representation of Australian Aboriginal culture. Ugh.

They had to do it! It was the only way they could compete! It won them bronze. Australia had the power to ban the dance but didn’t use it. I think Australia was convinced by United States and Canada not to get the isu to ban the dance.

Somone - I don’t know who- asked isu to ban the ropes d/s were using in their free dance on transition Lifts and that was unsuccessful.

Clo

Spectator
Alexandra Trusova, but I thought that one was well done :) of course one has one's own opinions :)

well executed? yes. good coreo? yes. lyrics appropriate for a 13yo to skate to? HARD NO. i CAN'T, for the love of me, understand HOW any adult can hear the words "So let me get right to the point/I don't pop my cork for every man I see", see the little tiny girl skating to them, and not be appalled. I cringe just thinking about it. and i hate it because Trusova is actually so engaged in the music! which should be good, but instead just makes it worse!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
About ladies - I would say Zagitova programme is the most controversal programme of the year, cause its structure and comments it provokes. Syria Bonaly 1998 olympic programme cause back flip she included in. Katarina Witt 1994 Olympic short programme portraying man character could be consider as controversal. Laurine L. programme portraying Marilyn Monroe some found very controversal too, as Medvedeva 9/11 programme and Nicole Schott skating to Schindlers list. From juniors - Tarakanova programme about escaping from mental asylum .

Speaking of Katarina Witt, her 1988 Olympic SP that season was controversial because of the short skirt she wore. Really, it was no skirt and some feathers on her hips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wp9PN60124

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
well executed? yes. good coreo? yes. lyrics appropriate for a 13yo to skate to? HARD NO. i CAN'T, for the love of me, understand HOW any adult can hear the words "So let me get right to the point/I don't pop my cork for every man I see", see the little tiny girl skating to them, and not be appalled. I cringe just thinking about it. and i hate it because Trusova is actually so engaged in the music! which should be good, but instead just makes it worse!!

That's true
It would've been a lot better without the lyrics

But she sells everything she does, for better or worse

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, it was horrible. Another horrible one, from the same group, is Alina's exhibition in the cut-out tiger outfit. Did they forget she's still just 15?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Without this program d/s would not have won Olympic bronze. It was very vital and important to avoid any recognizable dance as Shabalin couldn’t do anything with his knee problems. People said do Russian folk instead! Have these people ever seen Russian folk? Men bend their knees very aggressively! Shabalin couldn’t do that!
You are wrong! When d/s did some refinement shows their aboriginal was what they did because audiences demanded it!

It will always be true that Australia could have stopped this dance but they chose not to!! Everyone agreed it violated the rules of the od but no one went to isu to have them ban it. Australia had the standing.

They had to do it! It was the only way they could compete! It won them bronze. Australia had the power to ban the dance but didn’t use it. I think Australia was convinced by United States and Canada not to get the isu to ban the dance.

Just because nobody "banned" them from doing the dance, it doesn't make the program itself any less offensive. The costumes (including blackface and dark leggings) were so egregious. If they wanted to do something "aboriginal" they should at least have had the good taste not to do it in blackface/blackface leggings.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZbUfVULERc ;)

It's not a competitive program though, but an exhibition.

Yikes, I stand corrected. At least it wasn't competitive - I usually love Misha Ge but the bondage/blindfolding stuff is just a bit too icky for my taste.

Is no one watching pairs or what? :laugh: James/Cipres did a SP back in 2016/17 season (they skated to "Worth It" from the soundtrack, a popular number as you can see from the impressive view count) :biggrin:

OK, so this didn't have any blatant S&M references, which is what I really didn't want to see. I had forgotten about this program but I actually really like it because it is tasteful and restrained (still sexy though!). I also think the Weeknd's "Earned it" isn't over the top....Misha's skate to Bey's "Crazy in Love" was too much for me.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yikes, I stand corrected. At least it wasn't competitive - I usually love Misha Ge but the bondage/blindfolding stuff is just a bit too icky for my taste.

OK, so this didn't have any blatant S&M references, which is what I really didn't want to see. I had forgotten about this program but I actually really like it because it is tasteful and restrained (still sexy though!). I also think the Weeknd's "Earned it" isn't over the top....Misha's skate to Bey's "Crazy in Love" was too much for me.

I do wonder, Misha is talented but he likes to "push" the envelope in Ex programs, wonder how many kids do watch this shows and how do the parents feel?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
V/M Carmen was a bit controversial when it first premiered at that season's Skate Canada. However, it has since become one of their signature programs.

gkelly

Record Breaker
i CAN'T, for the love of me, understand HOW any adult can hear the words "So let me get right to the point/I don't pop my cork for every man I see", see the little tiny girl skating to them, and not be appalled.

I don't know. I speak French well enough to carry out a conversation or read a newspaper without consulting a dictionary, and I also studied Russian for a few years. If you played me a song in one of those languages that included some sexual innuendo through double meanings, I wouldn't necessarily catch it.

Heck, depending on the singer I don't always catch all the words in a song in my native language.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Just because nobody "banned" them from doing the dance, it doesn't make the program itself any less offensive. The costumes (including blackface and dark leggings) were so egregious. If they wanted to do something "aboriginal" they should at least have had the good taste not to do it in blackface/blackface leggings.

The more bad taste the program was the better it was as all the skating deficiency was ignored. That’s why banning it was the only way to stop it! The whole point was the programs horrific taste. The whole thing was a strategy! Do a great CD tango romatica- take the OD off really to conserve for FD and then in the FD use lots of ropes in certain lifts. Domnina and Shabalin were such a beautiful team! I mean breathtaking in lots of programs. But then Shabalin basically lost a fully functioning knee! What were they to do?! STRATEGIZE or retire.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
The more bad taste the program was the better it was as all the skating deficiency was ignored. That’s why banning it was the only way to stop it! The whole point was the programs horrific taste. The whole thing was a strategy! Do a great CD tango romatica- take the OD off really to conserve for FD and then in the FD use lots of ropes in certain lifts. Domnina and Shabalin were such a beautiful team! I mean breathtaking in lots of programs. But then Shabalin basically lost a fully functioning knee! What were they to do?! STRATEGIZE or retire.

Again, if they wanted to do this program, they should at least have made an effort to have costumes that weren't so offensive. I don't understand why having a knee problem excuses a blatantly racist costume.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Again, if they wanted to do this program, they should at least have made an effort to have costumes that weren't so offensive. I don't understand why having a knee problem excuses a blatantly racist costume.

The knee injury damaged their skating enormously!! So if they don’t have racist costumes what do people discuss? The extreme almost total deterioration of shabalin skating skills. I mean domnina and shabalin did folk dance original dances before! They did a stunning Russian folk dance. It was amazing. And when people said they should drop aboriginal and go back to their Russian one I watched it. Then it was totally clear why they did aboriginal. He could no longer move his knee like he did in Russian folk dance. I mean let’s be clear- he was largely mannequin legged in 2010. But how much is that talked about over the tasteless racist aboriginal?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ironically another great French ice dance team where one skater was significantly lacking or not as skilled as theother. But they were original;still they were up against Klimova and Ponamarenko who were amazing and the most beautiful program in Albertville. In 1988 many put down Bestmianova and Bukin but they still deserved the gold despitesome criticism that they were overly dramaatic and theatrical. Some people actually felt they were robbed that bolero was over rated and did nothave enough contrast andat times boring but their Carmen was the real winner of the battleof the Carmens (Debi Thomas versus Katarina Witt). Katrina Witt was a viginal waif next to Bestmianova's Carmen which was so vivacious and layered with complexity.

Actually, the Duchesnays were French Canadian, they skated for France because they had dual citizenship and felt at the time they were getting looked over in Canada because we had so many great ice dance teams. As for their skills, I think they were both evenly matched, just being a brother and a sister team limited them on their themes - kind of the like the Shibs. The Duchesnays were so good I sometimes forgot they were brother and sister. If you want to see how good they were watch their production of "The Planets" by Holst.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I don't know. I speak French well enough to carry out a conversation or read a newspaper without consulting a dictionary, and I also studied Russian for a few years. If you played me a song in one of those languages that included some sexual innuendo through double meanings, I wouldn't necessarily catch it.

Heck, depending on the singer I don't always catch all the words in a song in my native language.

I mean okay, but I would hope that they would do some research before having a child skate to that? It's so inappropriate, honestly. Children who have any sort of public persona already risk, sadly, of being sexualized. Coaches shouldn't help this by giving them this kind of song to skate to.

acapenci

On the Ice
The knee injury damaged their skating enormously!! So if they don’t have racist costumes what do people discuss? The extreme almost total deterioration of shabalin skating skills. I mean domnina and shabalin did folk dance original dances before! They did a stunning Russian folk dance. It was amazing. And when people said they should drop aboriginal and go back to their Russian one I watched it. Then it was totally clear why they did aboriginal. He could no longer move his knee like he did in Russian folk dance. I mean let’s be clear- he was largely mannequin legged in 2010. But how much is that talked about over the tasteless racist aboriginal?
I thought that there is no excuse for racism was a given, but apparently you need things spelled out for you 😐

Lota

Record Breaker
Ooh, just recalled another recent controversial program - Ilinykh/Katsalapov's "Ghost" FD from the 2012/13 season. That voice-over :hopelessness: Although there were programs with voice-over before, and definitely many more after (Looooooooooooove, oh Loveeeeeeee~ (well, tbh, that one is mostly just awful singing, but there is some voice over :laugh:) ), this one was one of the very view to feature it that extensively. To my mind, it was a failed experiment, although I commend them for thinking outside of the box. Either way, voice-overs in FS programs are definitely a point of contention.