Olivia Smart & Tim Dieck | Golden Skate

Olivia Smart & Tim Dieck

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Olivia Smart (born 1 April 1997) and Tim Dieck (born 7 April 1996) are ice dancers representing Spain.

Olivia previously skated with Adrian Diaz, with whom she was the 2021 Skate Canada International bronze medalist, a four-time Challenger Series medalist, and a three-time Spanish national champion. She represented Spain at the 2022 Winter Olympics. With her other former partner, Joseph Buckland, she was a three-time British national junior champion (2012–14).

Tim previously skated for Germany with Katharina Müller, with whom he was two-time German national champion and competed at the European and World championships, and the 2022 Winter Olympics. He also previously competed with Florence Clarke and Dana Wehner.

ISU Bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00117545.htm

Skating Scores: https://skatingscores.com/esp/dance/olivia_smart_tim_dieck/

Wikipedia:
Olivia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Smart
Tim: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Dieck

Instagram:
Olivia: https://www.instagram.com/oliviasmartx/
Tim: https://www.instagram.com/tim.dieck/

YouTube:
Tim: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7luALpKhEDGzDWh3N4u5VQ

Golden Skate Threads:

ISU Personal Bests

Personal Best Total Score180.6722.10.2023ISU GP Skate America 2023
Personal Best Score Rhythm Dance72.5607.10.2023ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2023
Personal Best Score Free Dance108.7122.10.2023ISU GP Skate America 2023

Programs
2023-2024

RD: "Call Me" by Blondie; "Rapture" by Blondie
FD: Also sprach Zarathustra/An American Trilogy by Richard Strauss performed by Elvis Presley; Craw-Fever by Elvis Presley; Suspicious Minds by Paravi; Trouble (from "Elvis" sountrack) by Austin Butler; Dreaming King by Karl Hugo

Results

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Olivia/Tim RD debut at Quebec Summer championships. It's a good start, but needs some tweaking. Some fans feel the music mix is off. Others feel it will get better, and that Tim needs to project a bit more. I guess true, but Tim Dieck? The Joker needs to project more? LOL! It's just a matter of Tim continuing to get his bearings in a new environment, and building his confidence in a new partnership. Olivia was bringing it. I guess they didn't perform their FD here?

I have some ideas for them, for the future, which I shared. Don't know if they saw, or will explore. We'll see.

ETA:
One commenter on YouTube felt that this music choice is a miss for them. What else might work from the 80s for this dynamic duo? Hmm 🤔

Tex

On the Ice
ETA:
One commenter on YouTube felt that this music choice is a miss for them. What else might work from the 80s for this dynamic duo? Hmm 🤔
Their Blondie RD is a good fit for them, but I feel like second song is missing something. It may just be the audio from these first 2 competitions. Other 80s songs, I think that have worked would have been Robert Palmer’s “Addicted to Love” and “Simply Irresistible” (imagine her costume for that) or even the soundtrack for Who’s that Girl (Madonna) or Streets of Fire.

Their Elvis FD is one of my favorite FDs I’ve seen this year. I would love to see them do future programs to film scores to movies like The Thomas Crown Affair, Scarface, and Dangerous Liaisons and TV scores like the Flight Attendant. They’d make a great Sherlock and Irene using both the TV and film score too. Maybe even the Broadway version of the Bridges of Madison County.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Great ideas @Tex! Pass your suggestions along to Olivia & Tim. I did!👍 Whether suggestions appeal to them or not, they might lead to them being inspired in some way. 😊

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Spanish Nationals are finished and you can find here all the info you want to know about Spanish Ice Dance. The streaming is decent this year but I have no idea if access is possible from outside Spain. You tell me...

Video of Rythm Dance senior competition. It begins at 00:50

Results and PDFs are accessible in FEDH's web, but here you have a summary:

Pl.Qual.NameClubNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Q​
Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECKFCB/FCBCAT
73.04​
39.12​
33.92​
8.50​
8.58​
8.42​
0.00​
#2​
2​
Q​
Sofía VAL / Asaf KazimovSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
70.71​
41.01​
29.70​
7.42​
7.58​
7.33​
0.00​
#3​
3​
Q​
Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
56.11​
32.95​
23.16​
5.92​
5.83​
5.67​
0.00​
#1​

Video of Free Dance Senior competition. It begins at 01:20. And here is the summary

Pl.NameClubNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECKFCB/FCBCAT
111.94​
62.10​
49.84​
8.42​
8.25​
8.25​
0.00​
#3​
2​
Sofía VAL / Asaf KazimovSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
108.08​
62.74​
45.34​
7.67​
7.58​
7.42​
0.00​
#2​
3​
Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZSK Internacional Ice Dance/SK Internacional Ice DanceMAD
82.35​
46.17​
36.18​
6.17​
5.92​
6.00​
0.00​
#1​

Total scores:

1 - 184,98 - Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECK
2 - 178,79 - Sofía VAL / Asaf Kazimov
3 - 138,46 - Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZ

I'm so happy!:cheer:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was postęd in the comments on TSL. Also that an appeal has been filed by Olivia & MFD. Truth or rumor, who knows.

So, aparently the oficial decision was in added technical scores up to now (points from challenger against isu grand prix) and ... that's it 🤯🤯🤯🤯
Val/Kazimov
Spanish Nats: 178.79 (TES 103.75)
Budapest: 168.34 (TES 97.44)
Bosphorus:176.36 (TES 103.43)
Total: 523.49
Total TES: 304.62

Smart/Dieck
Spanish Nats: 184.98 (TES 101.22)
Finlandia: 178.47 (TES 98.81)
Skate America: 180.67 (TES 100.14)
Total: 544.12
Total TES: 300.17

My comments - overall numbers tell a different story and smaller events often score higher. Looking over ISU scoring, the nationals scoring is consistent with ISU scoring. I feel bad for Tim getting caught up in Spanish fed politics. He has had the tougher road in this partnership waiting for Olivia, changing feds, coaches, training bases and technical adjustments to his skating. I think we have not heard the end of this yet and wonder how this may affect future of this team. It’s a shame because I like both teams and hate this fed battle so much. Maybe splitting the events for the teams would be more fair.

skatingguy

On the Ice
I hope Smart/Dieck take the opportunity to train, and skate together for the next 6 months or so before they even have to think about programs again, and use that time to develop a strong partnership that will make them the clear Spanish #1 next season. Then it won't matter what criteria the federation uses they'll get the slot.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Would they not just be better to switch to the British Fed? Sure they may not be number one behind Lilah and Lewis but at least Lilah and Lewis are sure to win two spots for the Britain in Euros/Worlds/Olympics in future years. It seems like the Spanish Fed really likes messing with the heads of their teams.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Would they not just be better to switch to the British Fed? Sure they may not be number one behind Lilah and Lewis but at least Lilah and Lewis are sure to win two spots for the Britain in Euros/Worlds/Olympics in future years. It seems like the Spanish Fed really likes messing with the heads of their teams.
I'm not honestly sure that we would be an better option for Smart and Dieck. At the moment, I think they would also be behind Bekker and Hernandez who have just moved up to seniors this year and are very promising (they were in last year's JGP final). Our current third team (a new partnership) is also progressing very nicely at the moment and has a lot of potential. Smart and Dieck would be ahead of them currently, but might not be longer-term. There is also very little funding here, even for members of the elite performance squad. If funding is the reason for not going with the German Fed (which I think would have been their best option), then we would not be very appealing either.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I'm not honestly sure that we would be a better option for Smart and Dieck. At the moment, I think they would also be behind Bekker and Hernandez who have just moved up to seniors this year and are very promising (they were in last year's JGP final). Our current third team (a new partnership) is also progressing very nicely at the moment and has a lot of potential. Smart and Dieck would be ahead of them currently, but might not be longer-term. There is also very little funding here, even for members of the elite performance squad. If funding is the reason for not going with the German Fed (which I think would have been their best option), then we would not be very appealing either.
Yes I really like Bekker and Hernandez and think they are very promising. Maybe Spain is the best option for them but I honestly don’t know what that Fed is thinking.