Adding crystals/stoning a dress | Golden Skate

Adding crystals/stoning a dress

Ange

Rinkside
Hi everyone, I've posted a couple times on here and am excited to announce that I'm entering my first competition! I've decided on my dress but I would like to add some crystals to the mesh neckline. What's the best way to go about this for someone who has never done it before? I want to make sure that none of them will be falling off. I don't have any crafty tools either.

I know dresses usually have Swarovski crystals but since I am limited by cost, I am wondering whether I can just use craft crystals/rhinestones from Spotlight. It is my first competition after all, and I'm still at a low level. Thank you in advance!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know dresses usually have Swarovski crystals but since I am limited by cost, I am wondering whether I can just use craft crystals/rhinestones from Spotlight. It is my first competition after all, and I'm still at a low level. Thank you in advance!

Spotlight, or I've also found some good ones at Riot Art and Craft if you have them in your city, or Eckersley's. No-one will really notice unless they're examining your dress closely. On the ice they still look fine.

You'll need a gem glue - I use the homebrand "Gem Bond" stuff from Lincraft, and I bet Spotlight has an equivalent. My setup includes a piece of paper or a paper plate, tweezers, and a toothpick or skewer.

I do it this way. First, I figure out where the gems are going, how spaced out I want them etc. Then I put a dollop of glue on the paper or the paper plate. Using the tweezers, I pick up the stone, dip the back in the glue, then place it on the fabric. Then I use the skewer to hold it down while I remove the tweezers. Voila!

Another way is to put a dollop of glue out, and use an eye makeup applicator to put the glue on the back of the stone, rather than dipping. You can buy packs of the applicators really cheap from Kmart and Big W stores.

Ange

Rinkside
Fabulous, thank you :) This seems simple enough - we'll see if that's the case soon, I guess!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One other tip - obviously, you'll need a hard flat surface to do it on. I recommend the dinner table because you don't want to be hunching over too far.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I am not a professional but these are the things I have used:

Flatback crystals: less expensive alternative Preciosa brand
https://www.beadandtrim.com/viva-12...SOVnm0SIYhTxVRQUZDpgLfCsbIfAroMsaAlkSEALw_wcB

Glue: e6000 https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...=2ahUKEwjhq7eKjZPbAhWqwVkKHSALDiUQ0Qx6BAgKEAE

rhinestone picker:
https://www.amazon.com/Tanto-Improved-Model-Crystal-Ninja/dp/B01C3GKK0I

And watch some tutorials online for tips

Yes. All of the above. And VERY IMPORTANTLY, when stoning mesh, always put a sheet of wax paper under it. Otherwise, you will end up gluing it to whatever is underneath it (including the rest of the dress)!

Ange

Rinkside
Thanks guys! Lots of good tips. I'm actually quite excited to give this a go :)