Does synthetic "ice" damage your blades? | Golden Skate

Does synthetic "ice" damage your blades?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
There is a synthetic ice rink open for the summer nearby and my skater would like to go. I am wondering - will synthetic ice wear the blades down differently/faster or potentially cause any damage? I heard that they put some treatment on top of the "ice" to make it slippery - will that do anything to the blades?

I have never been on synthetic "ice" myself so no idea of what to expect.

Is it better to use rentals or spare skates? We were hoping to use the time as part of the lengthy break-in process for the new skates, but I don't want to damage the blade.

Thanks!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It ruins the hollow on your edges and requires skate sharpening to fix them.

See if you can find a cheap “just for fun” skates or use those rentals. Is there a used sports equipment store in your area?soinds fun :)

SmallAminal

On the Ice
It ruins the hollow on your edges and requires skate sharpening to fix them.

See if you can find a cheap “just for fun” skates or use those rentals. Is there a used sports equipment store in your area?soinds fun :)

We have a cheap used pair and old skates that we can use as well. Of course my skater wants to wear the new ones though....will discourage it based on your feedback!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have a cheap used pair and old skates that we can use as well. Of course my skater wants to wear the new ones though....will discourage it based on your feedback!

We have several synthetic facilities and training apparatus in our area. They are mostly hockey related but we have seasonal outdoor rinks synthetic “ponds” pop up too. Believe me...the synthetic ice wears out the edge and really makes the blade become dramatically unlevel. That increases the amount of sharpening it takes to fix them which will dramatically reduce the life of your steel. Just not worth the trade off of cost and impact of the maintenance involved with fixing the wear on your good skates.

I’m sure you’ll still have fun and be very happy that you still have the nice skates (in great shape) to use when you return to the frozen pond ;)

VegMom

On the Ice
My skater hasn’t gone in synthetic ice for this reason. But a frozen pond tore up his blades pretty bad. 1 week on the pond was the same as 1 month on an indoor rink. I honestly can’t imagine synthetic being worse than that. But maybe it is.

One note coach said was that synthetic ice can make jumps easier. She said there’s less glide so it’s more like doing the jump off ice. So... could be a confidence booster for some skaters.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Synthetic and real pond ice both wreck blades.