Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019 | Page 268 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Over the weekend, I had some time to paint. So, with all the fans wishes to see Yuzu again in the spring, I did another Haru yo Koi painting.
Dzr5hB2U8AUA_pp.jpg

yude

Record Breaker
Hi, I woke up!

They've just showed the video of the nominees for "Come back of the year" :)

It's fun seeing famous athletes on the red carpet, some of them are heroes I was watching when I was a child.

yude

Record Breaker
Watching Laureus so far...can I say Yuzuru being nominated as a Japanese, as an Asian itself is great here?

yude

Record Breaker
The red carpet was finished, I hope "come back of the year" will be the first award in the ceremony since I am getting sleepy at 2:30 am :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder how long does this awards show last?
If its not over 2 hours I might bear it, but greater than that I will definetly fall asleep.

I've just got up, it's still going (something else it has in common with the Oscars... :laugh: )

Over the weekend, I had some time to paint. So, with all the fans wishes to see Yuzu again in the spring, I did another Haru yo Koi painting.
View attachment 519

Oh how absolutely beautiful!

Azcha

Rinkside
Tiger Woods took the award.
When Yuzuru's video popped up, I had a feeling that he didn't get it. And when Osaka received her award, it became certain to me the winner is not Yuzu.
Sadly, my feeling came true. But it's typical of the award, tho.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I admit, that I would have liked Mark to win if Yuzu didn't, but Tiger Woods was the biggest name, and that probably counted as well.

But as we said beforehand, first ever nomination for a skater.

Azcha

Rinkside
I think they simply surprised the responses. Nominating Yuzu definitely made the award known more than ever.
It didn't strike me the message making skating fun pathetic or anything negative. :scratch2:
Don't need to be salty about it.
With, without the award, Yuzuru is a wonderful skater.

ankifeather

Final Flight
I honestly find this tweet very tasteless, we don't need this they make us seem pathetic :scratch2:

https://twitter.com/LaureusSport/status/1097581324389531648

I don't find anything negative about it, I think it's great they acknowledged the dedicated Yuzu fans. Who knows , the organisation now probably knows his name more than ever, such that it increases his chances of say a best athletes of the year nomination if he has a tremendous year next season.

Yuzu's chance of getting the award was never high given Mark was more injured whilst Woods has much bigger PR machine. Compared to the award itself, it's more a pity he did not go so we can see him in a tuxedo. If only the ceremony was after Worlds there would have been a chance.

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
I'm not salty about it, before Yuzuru was nominated I didn't even know about this award, I know now it's important and I would have been happy if he won, but it is what is it. Still I find the tweet a bit too condescending, I guess it's just me...

Plumededragon

Medalist
I’m more disappointed that they chose such disgusting winner like Woods over athletes who fought for their lives like McMorris or Mentel. Not trully surprised, tho, it’s all about popular sport. :shrug:

ankifeather

Final Flight
If you look at the history of winners tennis, tracks and golf get a much higher proportion of wins ....Even soccer and basketball fans make fun that they are only there to make up nominations...do you know how many times Messi got nominated and never won - 4 or 5 times I think. Even having figure skating represented is a first for this sport.

yude

Record Breaker
I honestly find this tweet very tasteless, we don't need this they make us seem pathetic :scratch2:

https://twitter.com/LaureusSport/status/1097581324389531648

I take their tweet as it is, I think they had not experienced such excitement and support from the fans before. It has been fun for me after all ;)

But honestly, I was surprised Tiger Woods won :laugh: I was guessing another athlete would get it but congratulations to him. Now I've just looked at wiki of Laureus and it said most of the winners were from Tennis, Track and Field, Golf and F1, so now I kind of understand how the award goes, and hope figure skating will be a part of them near future.

Congratulations to Naomi Osaka, she won it as I expected :)

Plumededragon

Medalist
If you look at the history of winners tennis, tracks and golf get a much higher proportion of wins ....Even soccer and basketball fans make fun that they are only there to make up nominations...do you know how many times Messi got nominated and never won - 4 or 5 times I think. Even having figure skating represented is a first for this sport.
True, the fact that a figure skater was nominated was the real win. The winner was the worst possible choice, but having FS nominated? It IS a big deal already.
At least, I’m glad Naomi and Simone won in their respective categories. :)

Imov

Medalist
I am proud of Yuzuru getting the nomination and it is okay he didn't go because of priorities.
I wish him the best in World's 2019, to be healthy, safe, satified and happy.
Question: Has anybody here tried going to Sendai Sekisui Heim Super Arena before?
How much is its seating capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.