New Interview with Evgenia Medvedeva | Golden Skate

New Interview with Evgenia Medvedeva

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Phil Hersh just did an interview with Zhenya at TCC and I think its given great first hand opinions and thoughts from Evgenia about how she feels about her coaching change and her season moving forward!

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/athlete/yevgenia-medvedeva/

Personally, I’m so delighted by the fact that she’s so happy and confident in her decision to go to Brian and I’m really encouraged by the fact that he says that she’s been landing the Lutz with the outside edge in practice!

Fluture

Record Breaker
I absolutely love this interview so thanks for also posting it here. I‘ve read it in her fanfest and already stated there how proud I am of her but I‘ll just do it again:

Wonderful interview. Evgenia is thoughtful, mature and well-spoken in it. Her goals are realistic, she knows what she‘s signing up for. And I love how she speaks about her new situation. She‘s happy yet has a clear goal in mind and is focused on achieving it. To my mind, that‘s the best balance. It‘s clear that there‘s a strong, wise head on her shoulders. And she has a coaching team that supports her.

I‘m excited for whatever she‘ll show us at SCI and wish her all the best and lots of luck! :)

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Quotes that were interesting for me:

-“Just not to allow any discussion about my words: I just want to say the judging was really justice. The judging was correct,” Medvedeva said. “I saw how Alina worked all the time, and she worked really hard. I don’t know why a lot of people decided I think the judging was incorrect.”

-“Fifty percent really supported me, said ‘We believe in you, you can do anything.’ The other 50 percent say that I’m a horrible person,” Medvedeva said. “I wasn’t surprised about the hate, but I was so surprised and happy about the support I had.”

-“There was this really childish phrase: ‘Couldn’t you have kept Alina in the juniors for one more year?’” Tutberidze recalled Medvedeva asking, according to the Associated Press. “I said…we have to give everyone the same chance.”

Medvedeva said she did not recall precisely what she might have said to the coach in the emotional maelstrom after the Olympic event ended with her finishing second. “I didn’t say that. I don’t remember exactly, but even if I say something, I didn’t mean it like this,” she said. Asked if Tutberidze’s public recounting of what the coach had remembered made her angry, Medvedeva said, “That made me confused. I started to think, ‘When (did) I say this?’ and I don’t remember.”

-By then, Orser had spent a lot of time looking at video of areas of Medvedeva’s skating he wanted to address. One was her double Axel. Another was her much-decried “flutz,” a takeoff for her triple lutz that usually came from the wrong (inside) edge but had gone uncorrected because it rarely drew any penalty from judges. At the Autumn Classic, both her triple lutzes received “not clear edge” warnings, which carry a deduction in the Grade of Execution score.
“I want to fix it; she wants to fix it,” Orser said. “We’re getting there. She has done a lot of lutzes on the outside edge in practice. But it’s typical for athletes learning new technique to fall back on old habits when they are under pressure.”

-Medvedeva explained music choices had been made differently in Russia. If she mentioned a piece she liked, the coaches would reply they had a better idea for her programs. If she did not like their choice at first, the answer was she needed more time to understand it. In the end, Medvedeva said, she came to understand and like all the programs, including the 2017 free skate with the jarring score from “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” a film about the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
“I can’t say I didn’t have any opportunity for choice,” she said. “But that was more controlled by the whole (coaching) team and less controlled by me. Here, my skating is more half and half, half controlled by Tracy, by Brian, by David, by Paige (Aistrop, the spin coach)

IceBallerina

On the Ice
So it seems we have another “He said” “she said” situation. Medvedeva says she didn’t ask to keep Alina in juniors…

LucyH

On the Ice
I would love to listen to her “mumbo jumbo” as you call it any time any day so keep it coming NBCsports!!! I’ll be sure to cheer extra loud for her when I see her at Skate Canada.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Evgenia: "Hello"

People: "Yet again, she proves that she is a liar and a hypocrite, who didn't bring flowers to Eteri and singlehandedly ruined figure skating, my appetite and my day"

Fluture

Record Breaker
So it seems we have another “He said” “she said” situation. Medvedeva says she didn’t ask to keep Alina in juniors…

Medvedeva says what everyone who has been in a highly emotional situation before and knows how this feels was thinking anyway: She was crying, she was on an emotional roller coaster and so she just blurted out whatever was going through her mind in this situation. What you say in an highly emotional setting is not always right, it‘s not always what you really think either. Fact is: Zhenya doesn‘t even really remember it. She doesn‘t remember what she said but she knows one thing clearly: She did not mean to hold Alina back and has never. On the contrary, she made it very clear that she thinks Alina‘s win was deserved, that she worked just as hard as anyone, that the judging was correct.

So the general message is clear: Evgenia never said ANY bad thing about Alina the public. Neither about Eteri. And she intends to keep it this way. Which I think is a very classy move. Some people should learn from her and maybe think twice before they talk badly about others on the internet.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Really lovely interview. It's nice to hear her being positive about these major changes in her life and looking to the future and not the past. Something I think a few GS members could learn from.

Imagine how much better the world would be if people who invested their time and energy being negative about every word and action committed by an eighteen year old athlete into doing something productive, like volunteering at a soup kitchen or knitting tiny sweaters for penguins injured by oil spills or planting trees to combat deforestation. What a world that would be.

I was never particularly moved by her skating, but seeing her consistently go high when her critics go low has made a fan out of me. We could all learn something from her remarkable poise.

LucyH

On the Ice
Well bringing it back to positivity despite the attempts of posters who obviously have a deep dislike of Evgenia, this interview shows what a great mindset she has. I love her positive outlook, her determination, drive and general disposition. She has definitely won over some legends of Canadian figure skating. Go Evgenia! We’ll all be cheering you at Skate Canada

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I love the interview, I find it very sweet, informative and honest.

I can't however understand the people who always feel the need to chew on something. I don't find it weird one bit that a person can change their opinion with time. I wish Zhenya all the best in her skating and in life. May she be able to change her opinions many more times during her youth. :agree:

lavieenrose

On the Ice
I love the interview, I find it very sweet, informative and honest.

I can't however understand the people who always feel the need to chew on something. I don't find it weird one bit that a person can change their opinion with time. I wish Zhenya all the best in her skating and in life. May she be able to change her opinions many more times during her youth. :agree:
Yes, I love how open-minded she is... she can understand that something is unhealthy for her, change her speech. Unfortunately, not everyone is like that, repeating the same things over and over again. I wonder how it is to not be bored when you’re talking about the same subject every time 🤷🏻*♀️

evasorange

Final Flight
I’m sure she did wish Alina got held back, in that moment. Weather she said it or not out loud well I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to find out Eteri was lying about that. But really she’s a teenage girl who got used to always winning and getting big scores no matter what, and then in the space of a couple months all of a sudden was getting beat by the younger tougher version of herself right on the onset of the biggest competition in the sport. I’m surprised she didn’t say worse tbh. Her ADULT coach should know better then to repeat to the press words spoken in heated moments.

Anyways I’m not really a fan but good for her for making such a huge change. I am very curious to see how she does in this new setting, and if her scores will continue to come back down to earth like they did in the autumn classic

DenissVFan

Medalist
If only people used their energy to hate on skaters in other things like improving their reading comprehension ability and supporting their own favorites, it would be a better place. :yawn::yawn:

Well said :agree:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I love Evgenia, but I feel she answers the questions indirectly most of the time. Maybe it is her English, or just her being "mature"; it's better to comment in a generic way.

About the coaching change, her answer was “I can’t say one way is better or worse,” “It is just another way.”

While Tursynbayeva said "Completely different mentality, of course. Both groups have their pros and cons. With Eteri Georgievna, we train a lot, we work a lot, every day, no indulgences. And this is good, it is very hardening, good to train. At competitions, it is easier - as it is said, difficult in training, easy in battle. In Toronto, the relationship is more friendly. I like to train with Eteri Georgievna, this is my thing."

For me,I look for direct answers in interviewers, and to a casual figure skating fan, they are more satisfying. If I want to know what is the difference in training methods, Tursynbayev gave better answers, albert it is from her perspective.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
I love Evgenia, but I feel she answers the questions indirectly most of the time. Maybe it is her English, or just her being "mature"; it's better to comment in a generic way.

About the coaching change, her answer was “I can’t say one way is better or worse,” “It is just another way.”

While Tursynbayeva said "Completely different mentality, of course. Both groups have their pros and cons. With Eteri Georgievna, we train a lot, we work a lot, every day, no indulgences. And this is good, it is very hardening, good to train. At competitions, it is easier - as it is said, difficult in training, easy in battle. In Toronto, the relationship is more friendly. I like to train with Eteri Georgievna, this is my thing."

For me,I look for direct answers in interviewers, and to a casual figure skating fan, they are more satisfying. If I want to know what is the difference in training methods, Tursynbayev gave better answers, albert it is from her perspective.

The thing is, this is the only way she can really answer. Everything she says is picked apart and then turned against her. So if she starts going into details people will use it to justify the “Evgenia is a ungrateful traitor” narrative that seems to never end. Even when she tries to be careful with her words people hate her even more so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Evgenia: "Hello"

People: "Yet again, she proves that she is a liar and a hypocrite, who didn't bring flowers to Eteri and singlehandedly ruined figure skating, my appetite and my day"

Med: *exists*

People: How long until we colonize the moon?

Med: "Hi!" *waves*

People: SHE HI-FIVED OUR FACES! EVIIIIIL

Med: *Eats onions*

People: SHE WANTS TO KILL US WITH ONION BREATH!

Huh. These are fun.

icybear

Medalist
Medvedeva explained music choices had been made differently in Russia. If she mentioned a piece she liked, the coaches would reply they had a better idea for her programs. If she did not like their choice at first, the answer was she needed more time to understand it. In the end, Medvedeva said, she came to understand and like all the programs, including the 2017 free skate with the jarring score from “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” a film about the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

“I can’t say I didn’t have any opportunity for choice,” she said. “But that was more controlled by the whole (coaching) team and less controlled by me. Here, my skating is more half and half, half controlled by Tracy, by Brian, by David, by Paige (Aistrop, the spin coach)

Well her fs music choice this year clearly proves why Eteri didnt let her pick her music by her own. It doesnt suits her and exposes her weakness badly and also is going to hit her pcs hard this year.

glassanimal

On the Ice
Two things I want to point out from the arguments I've just read:

1. Yuzuru Hanyu made very similar statements about having "a lot to learn" when he made his transition to TCC as a teenager, despite having a great relationship with his former coach. Only those with agendas are twisting Evgenia's words here. Evgenia, at the age of almost 19 does indeed have a lot to learn. This is normal, not an insult.

2. And for the one millionth time, what Evgenia says, said, or didn't say is irrelevant when her coach of 11 1/2 years calls her a "daughter to her" and parades around how much she's contributed to her upbringing. If she can talk the talk by calling her a raised girl, a grown spruce (lol), or whatever, then this 44 year old woman should walk the walk by treating Evgenia as such. There is no excuse in this situation to reveal private conversations or to whine, complain, and jab multiple times now on the news. None.

This was a great interview! idk about everyone else, but who wouldn't be excited by a skater who's going through such lengths to improve herself, show her love for skating, and in general, spreads so much positivity and desire to put on great performances. Don't we all want to see this? Athletes growing and improving, memorable performances, joy and passion for the sport?

DeeDee18

On the Ice

well why would she go into more detail when everything will be thought of as she's "talking bad about her coach... hmm hmm there's this one interview where she said she wouldn't... traitor" or whatever else nonsense. people need to move on with their lives LOL

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Reading this interview, I still don't think that she realizes her situation.

Think about it. She has(had?) immense reputation. She would keep the PCS very high as long as she skated her usual way and was consistent. Her PCS already took a hit, most likely due to her partially incomplete and more experimental programs and due to her unfamiliarity with the new style(One could also say that it just doesn't suit her, especially the FS). If she establishes herself as merely a 34/68 PCS type skater due to some struggles this season, I truly think that there's no coming back. Does she actually realize that she can't just lay low and perform during the 2021-2022 season? She needs to do amazingly every single season until then. If she struggles even this season, she'll have difficulty even making the worlds team next season. And if she doesn't make the team, is there any coming back from that? Especially when we consider the values ISU tends to push during Olympics, it'd be an extremely long shot if she doesn't have immaculate, flawless reputation up to that point. Now it got further stained by her loss to Tennell - marking the first time she lost to a foreigner. I just cannot comprehend how they can feel so confident that they have the luxury to take things slow. Do they not see what's happening? She might not even make the Worlds team next season if Anna, Sasha and Alina all are in good form.

As for her skating itself, well... Her programs will have to improve a lot for me to really be able to appreciate her new direction. The SP has some hope, but the FS I doubt she'll ever be able to convince me of - Some types of music just don't suit everyone. There's some hope that her next season's programs will be more interesting. Hopefully it won't be too late by then.