Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Up till now we've only seen the failed cartwheel attempt at test skates and one video from training where it wasn't that straight either. Granted, it must be very difficult with skates on to get your feet straight in the air, especially if you don't have good grip on the ice with your hands. Probably most gymnasts would have trouble with it as well. Let's wait with the final judgment until we see the cartwheel in costume in the flow of the program. Even if it's not a perfect cartwheel, it might still look amazing if it fits to the theme and in general, I think it should be supported if skaters want to try something new. Zhenya might not have the most difficult jumps or the best skating skills right now, but her program will definitely set her apart from her competitors and give us something to remember.

Fried

Final Flight
I am not saying this in relation to Med, but in general. I find a cartwheel totally unsuitable for figure skating. Nothing about it "slips" in any way. Am I the only one who sees it that way?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not saying this in relation to Med, but in general. I find a cartwheel totally unsuitable for figure skating. Nothing about it "slips" in any way. Am I the only one who sees it that way?
I really liked when Kevin Aymoz does his cartwheel. It has to fit the choreography.

Fried

Final Flight
Yes, I don't want to make anything bad either. Every taste is different and it doesn't make sense to argue about it. I just wonder sometimes when I feel like I'm completely alone with my point of view. 🤔

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I really liked when Kevin Aymoz does his cartwheel. It has to fit the choreography.
That's an aerial though, so different from having your hands assisting you on the ice. It's similar to doing a lot of unlisted jumps on the ice.

Like I don't agree with the arguments going on over here, but the Aymoz cartwheel vs these other ones, there's a difference.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I don't want to make anything bad either. Every taste is different and it doesn't make sense to argue about it. I just wonder sometimes when I feel like I'm completely alone with my point of view. 🤔
There is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. And Mathman agrees with you. I don't want to see a ton of cartwheels. But this is circus music and I think it fits.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like the idea of the cartwheel, but you do have a point...you're not really supposed to support yourself on the ice with your hands...

I'm still puzzled by that weird hand-tapping-the-ice-during-the-choreo-sequence what's the deal with that?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Up till now we've only seen the failed cartwheel attempt at test skates and one video from training where it wasn't that straight either. Granted, it must be very difficult with skates on to get your feet straight in the air, especially if you don't have good grip on the ice with your hands. Probably most gymnasts would have trouble with it as well. Let's wait with the final judgment until we see the cartwheel in costume in the flow of the program. Even if it's not a perfect cartwheel, it might still look amazing if it fits to the theme and in general, I think it should be supported if skaters want to try something new. Zhenya might not have the most difficult jumps or the best skating skills right now, but her program will definitely set her apart from her competitors and give us something to remember.
Has nobody here watched neblehorn trophy? Few cartwheel attempts there to be seen.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Unfortunately it's most likely going to be Daniil and Eteri adjusting the existing programs, but it'd nice to see Misha Ge working again on her programs in the future.

He did well with Tosca especially considering it was done so quickly mid-season.
Definitely agree about Misha and Tosca. Not only was the program great after such short notice, but his presence that season seemed to really help Zhenya when she needed it most. I would absolutely love for them to work together again.

Also I don’t really like the idea of a cartwheel in skating, but it’s Zhenya, so I’m open to seeing her perform it properly and judge it from there. It definitely fits the theme of the program, at least.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
My concern about the cartwheel is this. Most any child can learn to do a cartwheel. Sort of. But at the top level, a cartwheel is a gymnastics move that requires precission and training.

If you look at a gymnast doing one, you can see the difference. Hand, hand, foot, foot, with the illusion that the move is so exquisitely under controll that the performer could come to a complete handstand in thre middle is she wanted to. Strong and flexible wrists. Back leg in perfect alignment with the spine. Etc., etc.

If you do an amateur's version you invite comparisons which could diminish the impact of the move.
I agree. And besides, I think it is an outrageous risk to even attempt it. It's a wrist injury waiting to happen.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I agree. And besides, I think it is an outrageous risk to even attempt it. It's a wrist injury waiting to happen.
At many rinks I've been at people have been doing cartwheels for years in practice. Not good ones, but it's something taught for additional fun.

If risky things should be banned, then ban quadruple jumps. A cartwheel is nothing compared to a quadruple jump...

If they should ban them, ban them for being gimmicky. Or, what they actually should do is add in another choreographic element with GOE - cartwheel, or a butterfly, or a JZ slide (Kevin's slide in FP). Idk but make it related to GOE and have an objective side to judging it and all the bad cartwheels will be gone when they are not given much GOE.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Do we know if Evgenija is going to perform in a dress or pants? To me her doing a cartwheel in a dress may look awkward.
Most likely pants, those are the type of outfits the artists in the Alegria show wear and doing a cartwheel in a dress would be a mess. People are already guessing that Zhenya's outfit will have some gold accents since she wore gold eyeliner during her FS at Test Skates and last year she wore burgundy eyeliner in her FS at Test Skates, which later on matched her FS dress. Also many outfits in the Alegria show were gold.

Last edited: