Phanuef or Rochette for Canadian Champ? | Golden Skate

Phanuef or Rochette for Canadian Champ?

Arianne

On the Ice
Wow, this should be a great competition. Who do you think has the edge for the gold medal at Canadians? Or their any other women who will be serious contenders. I would imagine that these two women will be a shew in for worlds!

Arianne

Saundy

On the Ice
Joannie took the silver at last years Nationals. She had a bad short program, but fought back in the long. Probably would have won the Gold if it wasn't for the short program.
I predict that she will probably take the Gold this year as long as she doesn't choke in the short or the long. Her and Cynthia are who I would say are going to World's this year.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
of the two I personally like Rochette's LP more... so I'll go with her... besides, she doesn't have teh pressure of keeping her title...

jesslily

Final Flight
Rochette did better jobs this year at Grand Prixs. She is a lovely skater with strong jumping ability.

If they both skate well, I am sure the judges will give it to Joannie because her program more than satisfies the CoP as well as the 6.0 systems.

Joe

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I like them both, but Phanuef is too rigid for me... But I am excited to watch both of them develop into world class skaters.

brad640

On the Ice
I really hope they both do well at worlds because the Canadian ladies are due. I wonder what Dick Button will say about Rochette's Firebird program. I think she is great but some of her bird poses are awkward with "flailing of arms." Firebird is one of those overused pieces like Swan Lake, but her music is well edited and better than most (However, I loved Tonia Kwiatkowski's short program to Firebird).

mike79

On the Ice
If they both skate clean then it will be Rochette. Her program is one of the best programs out there this year. Plus, her skating is a tad more mature than Phaneuf's.

Whoever wins, it'll be a great competition. It's really exciting to see not one, but two great Canadian ladies skate. It's been a long time.

bleuchick

On the Ice
I was a fan of Joannie and Annie before Cynthia. So the answer is obviously Joannie.

Having said that, I am not counting out Cynthia. The young woman had at least a month off since SC plus she is a fierce competitor and has a tough cookie kind of mentality. The stuff of a champion are already there.

chania36

On the Ice
I will go for Joannie Rochette, her long program is amazing, unlike any other this year, she could very well cause a uge surprise at world and I hope that both do well at Worlds because it will maybe place 2 women for the olympics, a thing that we did not see for a long long long time in Canada.

Since nationals are first, I think that Rochette will be the next big winner, she is demonstrating more maturity in her skating, although, Cynthia is very good, only 16 and the judges loves her, even has a junior, it was told that she european judges loved her skating, I like it too, but I find that this year's program, long program, because of the kind of music, she demonstrate a lot of stiffness, I know it is necessary for the program, but it does not suit her well, I prefer the kind of program that she skated to last year. Something softer, gently for her. Oh well we will see but I just cant get over the fact that I always feel this year that she is like a metal bar. I love her skating though, she is amazing in other kind of program, this long does nothing to me, I just cant be into it. I really believe that a skating should experiment but when it is not something that come easy and that it shows, you should not do it, because the long when she skates, I always feel like she thinks, like she is being extra carefull, it is not like last year, when it was like she was free and careless and just plain skating and I loved that.

So we will see but for Nationals, it is Rochette, she is great. She made uge progress, I have a tape here of her first apearance to the Nationals, and she look very different, she had a uge amount of makup, had a line made by a marker has her eye brows, now she is just Great and the make up suit her well.

I wish them both good things because Canada has been waithing a long time for this, we never had competition in women'.s event at Nationals, for 6 years, we knew who would win, Jennifer, even if the skating was not at the top for a champion, but now, I am so excited to have a competition, called a competition, because we have now Rochette, Phaneuf, Bellemare who was there but would not bet on her.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think Joannie has the "whole package" and can deliver her program with more flair than Cynthia. She also is more experienced. I don't think she will let this one go so easily now that she has tasted a gold medal at the international level. I see more confidence in her presentation; lack of confidence is what did her in before.

On the other hand, Cynthia is "the new kid on the block" and has lots of time to develop her style. She is a good jumper and stays on her feet, but she has to learn to relax and "get into her knees." I think it will come with time.

Best to both of them.

brad640 said:
I really hope they both do well at worlds because the Canadian ladies are due. I wonder what Dick Button will say about Rochette's Firebird program. I think she is great but some of her bird poses are awkward with "flailing of arms." Firebird is one of those overused pieces like Swan Lake, but her music is well edited and better than most (However, I loved Tonia Kwiatkowski's short program to Firebird).
Brad - Have you ever seen Firebird danced? The Firebird is NOT a swan. Her feathers do not react the way a swan does. Joannie's arms reflect the Firebird not the sorrowful Odette. While the music is a warhorse, she is the first one to actually portray the protaganist. JMO.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm happy for my Canadian friends that we're even having this discussion! :love: They're both wonderful skaters--this kind of competition should really push them both.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Canadian Ladies Champion 2005....

Joannie Rochette appears to have the edge on paper.

She is more mature and fluid in her movement with confidence and strength. She has a solid triple-triple and a 7 triple performance planned. Her lutz is true to the edge. Her spins are fast with nice positions. Her jumps are smaller and turn quicker than Cynthia, but they are solid. Joannie has speed and flow and very good choreography.

Joannie deserves, with good skating, to be in the top 6 at Worlds. Irina, Michelle, Shizuka, Miki, Sasha and Joannie. Many others could be in the top 6 like Fumie, Viktoria, Julia Sebestyn, Cynthia and the 3rd American lady. Joannie can compete with all of these women if she skates well. Cynthia is just not quite mature enough yet, and only time can fix this.

I think she can win a medal at GPF and come in the top 6 at Worlds.

LimeZest

Rinkside
I agree with Joannie being the better ''all-around skater''. She won the freeskate last year at Nationals (I thought last year's Nationals were pretty competitive too... With Rochette, Phaheuf, Leung and Bellemare all landing 5 triples or more and showed far more agressive skating than before).

I just can't think of who will win right now. I would love to see Phaneuf trying a triple-triple combination (even 3toe-3toe) to keep a technical edge with Joannie.
Rochette's Firebird is one the best (if not) I've ever seen. She's not even using the more popular part that everyone is or was using (Think Ando last year, Leung, Shen and Zhao short program from 2000). I find it very angular, powerful and introspective but audience friendly at the same time.

I like Phaneuf's long (with the spanish tension and all) but prefer her lyrical short program. She has such soft knees and really get down in her skating legs.

As far as Bellemare this year, I wish her the best after her injury. Can't wait to see Leung and Watt too!

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
As far as Bellemare this year, I wish her the best after her injury. Can't wait to see Leung and Watt too!

Is Watt still skating? I hope so! :love: I know alot of her triples were underrotated and her skating was juniorish when she won her silver back in 2001 but I really loved her. She just had a sparkle out on the ice and was quite the media darling. Yet she was spunky and competitive, constantly going after that tripleflip, triple toe combination. I wonder how much her arthritis has held her back.